• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it normal to become worse while practicing?

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
I suppose the title is rhetorical.

The other night I watched something like an hour and a half of ddd tech videos, and now my game is suffering because I can't help but attempt to incorporate some of the things I've never tried before. How do I get out of this slump the quickest? What do you guys do when you want to use new techniques, but they keep getting you wrecked?

What I believe I'm doing right now, is fishing for combos and failing, and getting punished as a result. An example is, I'll try to start off an online match with a falling nair > utilt > utilt > uair, but iirc I whiff on the first or second utilt every time. I was happy with my dthrow > fair/nair, but it'd be great to have more approaches.

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
In the long run, you will get better at it. Sometimes it doesn't work right off the bat.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
Yea it happened to me with some other characters, getting worse before getting better. It's nice to know preset combos, but you'll eventually learn from your mistakes.

If you want another approach, just put Gordo into the mix.

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
Inhale is amazing approaching from the air since it cannot be shielded. It helps afterwards so that the opponent will not know wether to shield or not, and you can mix it up between inhales and attacks.

Its also 10 percent free damage. Unless you abuse it.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
Inhale is amazing approaching from the air since it cannot be shielded. It helps afterwards so that the opponent will not know wether to shield or not, and you can mix it up between inhales and attacks.

Its also 10 percent free damage. Unless you abuse it.
Exhale + Downtilt Gordo is a combo at some percents. After you exhale someone, don't they do an autojump?

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
I think they do, I usually follow up with uair... or inhale again. If there is a hint that I can swallowcide, I will go for it.

Top Bottom