• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it Better to have Multiple Characters or One Character?

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
So I'm a player whose Determined to get gud, and in all the articles, discussions, and even people I talk to all say that it's better to have 1 dedicated character you should have and ignore everyone else. And yet I see all the top players having at least a couple of characters under their belt. Me personally, in SM4SH I have 5 characters I like to play
:4falcon::4littlemac::4duckhunt::4ness::4pit:
I only ever play with anyone else if I'm playing with my casual friends. I love these characters so much, as smash characters and as a fan of their respective games, and I don't want to give them up, but also because certain match ups for them are abysmal. I know that bad match ups can still be won if you play it enough, but once you come across a player of your same skill you're still likely gonna lose cuz they'll know exactly how to exploit your weaknesses and you don't have enough tools to address their weaknesses, if they have any against your character.

So is it still possible to be good at the game with an arsenal, or is it true that you need one weapon of choice if you really wanna be the best?

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
It's better to main multiple. Some characters can do better in certain matchups and stages.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It's definitely best to have a few characters. Do what you want with your best characters, save the rest for countering poor matchups or just for fun.

If you can get good with multiple characters, so much the better. As long as you feel confident using them all and believe you can do well with all of them, there's no reason not to play with an expanded roster.

Top Bottom