• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is it bad that I can only play with little mac?

theta64

Smash Cadet
i mean, i have taken tournaments with him and gone far in my local scene(norcal region), and i have tried alot of other characters, but little mac just feels so natural to me. he is quick, strong, amble. yes he is easy to gimp if you play stupid, but i have developed a meta around him to make sure he controls the ground as much as possible. I just dont feel the same way for any other characters. I'll definitely have some bad matchup but i think that comes with playing this character, eventually ill learn to adapt to those characters. does anyone feel the same way about this?

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
As much as i despise dumb Lil'Mac.

Play as whoever you want.^^ Im happy for people who actually ENJOY their character. Not playing character for their "tier" position or w/e.

I feel the more you enjoy your character the more willing you'll be, to find a way to adapt.

Last edited:

theta64

Smash Cadet
As much as i despise dumb Lil'Mac.

Play as whoever you want.^^ Im happy for people who actually ENJOY their character. Not playing character for their "tier" position or w/e.

I feel the more you enjoy your character the more willing you'll be, to find a way to adapt.
I agree, personally its gonna be my mission to make little mac top tier if not place high at nationals. dont care who i have to face. i wanna make little mac the underdog

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
If he feels right, and you enjoy playing him, stick with him. It's the same way for me. I am trying to work on a secondary to cover some of Mac's matchups, and I also have quite a few characters I like the playstyle of and want to learn in the future, but none of them click with me as much as Little Mac does.

So if I were you, I would look into getting a secondary in the future, just in case, but you should stick with Mac primarily if that's who you enjoy :). Nothing wrong with that.

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
If you like playing as Little Mac and he fits your play style then there is nothing wrong with using him.

theta64

Smash Cadet
If he feels right, and you enjoy playing him, stick with him. It's the same way for me. I am trying to work on a secondary to cover some of Mac's matchups, and I also have quite a few characters I like the playstyle of and want to learn in the future, but none of them click with me as much as Little Mac does.

So if I were you, I would look into getting a secondary in the future, just in case, but you should stick with Mac primarily if that's who you enjoy :). Nothing wrong with that.
im trying to figure out who but i cant seem to get a fit yet on who to make a secondary. i like fast quick and agile character who can rack up damage fast.

theta64

Smash Cadet
i think what pumps me up more when playing as mac is when i get the right music. Still trying to unlock the dreamland music from 64. if i do ill go into try hard mang0 status

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
In case you're interested, I'll send you my youtube playlist (so far) that I listen to while playing Mac. I typically use it for tournament or serious matches, because the songs get old if I listen to them during practice >.> Just a suggestion haha.

Last edited:

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
im trying to figure out who but i cant seem to get a fit yet on who to make a secondary. i like fast quick and agile character who can rack up damage fast.
Most of the Little Mac's I've faced use either Sheik or Fox as their secondaries have you tried them yet?

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Perhaps I'm a bit of an oddball, but my mains seem to alternate between Little Mac (the one I use most), DHD, Villager, and Pac-Man. I guess you could call the latter three "secondaries" But I use them, if not as much as, fairly close to as much as Little Mac. I guess my true secondaries could be considered ZSS, Bowser. Jr, and Robin. Who knows, maybe I just like obnoxious, trolly characters. I guess I've also found an affinity for the G-dorf, but that's for a different reason entirely; I wouldn't dare bring him into a tournament with me...

Last edited:

FlipFlopMist

Smash Cadet
Perhaps I'm a bit of an oddball, but my mains seem to alternate between Little Mac (the one I use most), DHD, Villager, and Pac-Man. I guess you could call the latter three "secondaries" But I use them, if not as much as, fairly close to as much as Little Mac. I guess my true secondaries could be considered ZSS, Bowser. Jr, and Robin. Who knows, maybe I just like obnoxious, trolly characters.
Seems like you balance your Little Mac out with ranged characters. ;p
It's nice to see someone else who plays a lot of Little Mac and Pac-Man though, it's so hard to find a main in this game, so many characters are good.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Well, my Little Mac is a bit of an opportunistic punish type, where I try to get in there, while still being patient and not too predictable. I also try to utilize LM air game. Many a player doesn't expect it, and LM does have some good combos that arise from his aerials. (Take for example, his dair lock, or his nair Maciside. true, you can recover with a footstool from the ladder, but if you have 2 stocks, and your opponent only has one, why not just suicide and take him with you?). Simply put, I try to find a good balance between a bum-rush beat-down Mac, and a patient, defensive type Mac. I also have counters for people who try and do nothing but grab me and throw me off the edge of the stage. As for Pac-Man, I try to play a bit of a barrage game. I frequent his lower tier fruits as spammy projectiles (cherry, strawberry, orange, and apple.) from there I can usually get in some dash attacks or tilts. Constant fire hydrants are a must too, both for punishing and for launching at players. (But again, don't be too predictable.) Paccy boys up b is good, but I tend to use his side b for a safer recovery with more K.O. potential. Lastly, his Galaga and Key are good for juggling and K.O.ing opponents.

*edit* zoning is also a must for both characters, but that can be said for all characters.

Last edited:

FlipFlopMist

Smash Cadet
Well, my Little Mac is a bit of an opportunistic punish type, where I try to get in there, while still being patient and not too predictable. I also try to utilize LM air game. Many a player doesn't expect it, and LM does have some good combos that arise from his aerials. (Take for example, his dair lock, or his nair Maciside. true, you can recover with a footstool from the ladder, but if you have 2 stocks, and your opponent only has one, why not just suicide and take him with you?). Simply put, I try to find a good balance between a bum-rush beat-down Mac, and a patient, defensive type Mac. I also have counters for people who try and do nothing but grab me and throw me off the edge of the stage. As for Pac-Man, I try to play a bit of a barrage game. I frequent his lower tier fruits as spammy projectiles (cherry, strawberry, orange, and apple.) from there I can usually get in some dash attacks or tilts. Constant fire hydrants are as must too, both for punishing and for launching at players. (But again, don't be too predictable.) Paccy boys up b is good, but I tend to use his side b for a safer recovery with more K.O. potential. Lastly, his Galaga and Key are good for juggling and K.O.ing opponents.

*edit* zoning is also a must for both characters, but that can be said for all characters.
No one expects LM to go airborne...

That is almost exactly my playstyle for both characters. >.>

theta64

Smash Cadet
I have tried foxm and shiek
Most of the Little Mac's I've faced use either Sheik or Fox as their secondaries have you tried them yet?
i have tried fox and shiek, but shiek cant give the same power as mac can. fox i would have to work on him more but its a possibility. Maybe sonic could work? unsure im gonna have to play around with it

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As others have said, it's not a bad thing if you only play Mac. That just means...well, a lot of good things, actually. It means you naturally gel with his playstyle, and that's a very good thing. The only actual drawback would be maybe not having a tourney-ready secondary in case you are facing a huge Little Mac counter.

But don't be discouraged. If you love using Mac, keep using Mac. Don't deprive yourself of an enjoyable time. :grin:

theta64

Smash Cadet
appreciate the kind words everyone. im gonna have to figure out what my plans are. As i said. Im making it my goal to beat out mac counters in any given region, that just means ill have to keep the drive going. I have played characters like jiggs, peach who give mac a horrible time, but i've learned to overcome those characters and beat them. People get salty when they lose to mac because they underestimate the character. plus the game is still early for tier list, and ill make mac rise to the top, even if it means beating the best diddys out there

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
appreciate the kind words everyone. im gonna have to figure out what my plans are. As i said. Im making it my goal to beat out mac counters in any given region, that just means ill have to keep the drive going. I have played characters like jiggs, peach who give mac a horrible time, but i've learned to overcome those characters and beat them. People get salty when they lose to mac because they underestimate the character. plus the game is still early for tier list, and ill make mac rise to the top, even if it means beating the best diddys out there
You sound like a main character that will succeed through sheer willpower, no matter what odds! Haha
None the less, I look forward to seeing your progress!

theta64

Smash Cadet
Hey mods, I realize there is a video thread, but i feel like no one ever goes into those threads and see the videos. is it possible to make a new post on it. I want some critique on my mac that i had a tourney in this past week. let me know what i can do.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
theta said:
Hey mods, I realize there is a video thread, but i feel like no one ever goes into those threads and see the videos. is it possible to make a new post on it. I want some critique on my mac that i had a tourney in this past week. let me know what i can do.
Don't you think you should talk this out with say, a mod, as opposed to a completely unrelated subject board?

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
You should most likely post your video in the video thread (Though now I see that you have already). People have been using the Video Thread over the past few days, and the latest messages have all been critiquing one of our fellow mac player's videos. I believe that consistently posting videos in it's respective thread will generate more conversation there, but making a new thread could cause it to be further inactive.

I appreciate you asking first though. If you ever have anything else you're unsure of, feel free to message me.

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
I also frequent Little Mac, and despite what some might say, I have found his air game good in a quirky sort of way. And I know what you mean when you say he feels right, He was actually the first character I used in the full game. However, if you're looking for a secondary Captain Falcon is very similar to Little Mac, but overall more balanced.

MDAVE

The Flying Dutchman
NNID
GoldDiaruga
3DS FC
1048-8967-3255
You seem very determined. This alone will give you a high chance of getting better! Good luck out there dude, show 'em who's the real champion!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Man, there's absolutely nothing wrong with anyone playing as Little Mac unless you're a novice with no skill. If you believe he fits your playstyle very well, then you can't go wrong with that.

I, myself, am one of the Little Mac users who fits well with my playstyle...that and I'm a huge fan of the boxing sport in general.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
...why should it be bad?

Are you letting all those whiny Mac-haters get to your head?
Don't heed them any attention.

Little Mac is pretty awesome, and good Little Mac players are quite rare.
I myself would consider maining him if i wasn't already pending between 5 different characters.
(And my one true main is still on the way.)

Also, everything you described is literally what "maining a character" means.
You like him, you like his play-style/move-set, you're doing quite good on tournaments/competitive battles.

Keep playing him! : )

theta64

Smash Cadet
thanks for the words of encouragement everyone!!! its not really ppl about complaining about mac bein OP. its the fact that everyone tells me mac cant recovery and is done off stage. they all say he has too many flaws and limits. he can only go so far. which i say to hell, but there are tough matchups for me like fighting kirbies due to being so small. but yea i will keep playing as mac!!

Top Bottom