• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Homebrew nessasary to play Project M?

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Hello, after trying to install Project M and failing, i snooped around the interwebs to find out why it didn't work. I got into a bunch of stuff about the homebrew channel and it seemed I needed the channel to have gecko OS let me play Project M. Ive looked over all the troubleshooting tips and read guides on how to install Project M so i doubt I've overlooked anything obvious like not deleting all your custom stages etc. Is anyone willing to inform me what I need to download to play Project M and how to download these things. I used the full set hackless ZIP because the 2.6 installer has not been made public as of now. My wii menu version is 3.4U and i have a legal american copy of Brawl. My SD card is smaller than 2GB and i'm pretty sure i've installed the right folders and files onto the root of the SD card.

Thank you for your time,
Dandizzle :)

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
Hi Dandizzle!

Homebrew is not required to run Project M. The Hackless method of loading Project M uses an exploit in the stage builder to load a dummy 'stage' that redirects the Wii to the Gecko OS channel. This is called Smash Stack. In order for the Stage Builder to take the dummy stage, it needs to be the only stage on the the SD card, and there must be no stages in the Wii's memory. A clean Brawl save comes with three default stages, and enabling the Smash Service option in the Wi-fi settings will give you another stage. Make sure that these stages are off of the Wii as well as anything you have made yourself.

The .zip you downloaded from the Project M website should be extracted directly to the root of the SD card. This means that you should make no new folders in your SD card, as the inside of the .zip is exactly what the root of the SD card should look like when you are finished. When you open your SD card in My Computer, you should see the following:

codes (folder)
private (folder)
background.png
boot.elf
gameconfig.txt

To repeat, this should be in the ROOT of your SD card. When you click the address bar in windows explorer, it should read E:\, F:\, or another letter other than C:\.

Check the tiny lock switch on the side of your SD card. The sticker should indicate which position is lock position. Make sure the SD card is unlocked.

Try everything here for more information. http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-troubleshooting-guide-2-6.338869/

Top Bottom