• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is he even cel shaded?

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, maybe he isn't cel shaded (and he isn't) because Sakurai wanted you to be able to see more detail at a distance, since most of the time while fighting, characters are kind of far away from the camera so to speak. I don't know, that's a crappy excuse. Has anyone thought that maybe one of his costumes is cel shaded? Perhaps those have been shown already and I just don't know about it.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
Don't they need a special game engine to do cell shading? If so that would really be a bit much for one character. I think he looks awesome, and fits in perfectly, he looks cartoony but with that dark tinge that most the characters now have. If he was cell shaded he would look kinda silly to be honest.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
No, Poke Floats is cel-shaded. However, Toon Link is not cel-shaded. Why? Who knows, but looking at the roster, we can see characters were not a top priority for Sakurai.

No offense, but giving Toon Link, the "human" graphics over the cel-shading, makes his face just unnaturally weird. I mean, the cel-shading was what WW Link had that made him amazing looking, even though he has a weird shaped face and head. Turning that into "normal" graphics makes him just an awkward faced kid going through puberty.

Aurion

Smash Rookie
I don't reply much on things but actually he is cel-shaded but in another way we are used to it this type of cel-shading is pretty popular in allot of game's and i think Sakurai went this way to make him fit in a little bit more although. I can't be 100% certain of this yet. anyway i would have liked normal cel-shading style like WW but it would look a bit goofy in Brawl so I'm pretty pleased with him how he is now ;)

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Don't they need a special game engine to do cell shading? If so that would really be a bit much for one character. I think he looks awesome, and fits in perfectly, he looks cartoony but with that dark tinge that most the characters now have. If he was cell shaded he would look kinda silly to be honest.
How can people say this? It's a video game for crying out loud. What, he doesn't look silly without cel-shading, but then with it, he would? That's how his character was designed. It was always supposed to be like a cartoon. That's why the art is drawn like a 2D cartoon, and they attempted to keep that style with cel-shading. How is that more silly than G&W being flat? Is that silly? Well, probably, but if you don't like silly, you probably should be warned... Smash Brothers is chock-full.

Well, don't mean to jump all over you, but I just can't see how people don't want diversity. Part of the fun for me is seeing totally different characters interacting with each other. That's what crossovers are there for IMO. (Why does TOON link have realistic textures and the same hair texture as TP Link, if he's supposed to be a... you know, TOON?? Why even call him TOON at all?)

I don't reply much on things but actually he is cel-shaded but in another way we are used to it this type of cel-shading is pretty popular in allot of game's and i think Sakurai went this way to make him fit in a little bit more although. I can't be 100% certain of this yet. anyway i would have liked normal cel-shading style like WW but it would look a bit goofy in Brawl so I'm pretty pleased with him how he is now ;)
There again! Why? Why would it look goofy?? I can't understand it. Because it's different? Different=goofy? I think it would be highly interesting, not to mention aesthetically pleasing. Perhaps a round ball named Kirby is too goofy to be in the same game as Snake... I don't know, I'm baffled by how many people are thinking this way.

I agree with Kabyk-Greenmyst... thanks for your reason.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
How can people say this? It's a video game for crying out loud. What, he doesn't look silly without cel-shading, but then with it, he would? That's how his character was designed. It was always supposed to be like a cartoon. That's why the art is drawn like a 2D cartoon, and they attempted to keep that style with cel-shading. How is that more silly than G&W being flat? Is that silly? Well, probably, but if you don't like silly, you probably should be warned... Smash Brothers is chock-full.

Well, don't mean to jump all over you, but I just can't see how people don't want diversity. Part of the fun for me is seeing totally different characters interacting with each other. That's what crossovers are there for IMO. (Why does TOON link have realistic textures and the same hair texture as TP Link, if he's supposed to be a... you know, TOON?? Why even call him TOON at all?)

There again! Why? Why would it look goofy?? I can't understand it. Because it's different? Different=goofy? I think it would be highly interesting, not to mention aesthetically pleasing. Perhaps a round ball named Kirby is too goofy to be in the same game as Snake... I don't know, I'm baffled by how many people are thinking this way.

I agree with Kabyk-Greenmyst... thanks for your reason.

Yeah, because there are so many bright colourful characters in the game aren't there? They don't look dark or mature at all do they? Yeah, a cell shaded bright happy Link would fit in there tons better than a slightly darker more realistic but still perfectly recognisable Toon Link won't he? God, be thankful he's in at all, he looks awesome, his stage looks awesome, his weapons look straight from the game. Seriously just stop *****ing...

Skillface

Smash Cadet
He's got the same character model, with the swoopy hair and whatnot, and it still looks a bit cel shaded-esque, but he's not. I really like the way they did it.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Yeah it's really weird, from the usual view it really looks like he's cel shaded, but up close he looks just like any other character except for with the cartoon look.

I guess that was Sakurai's way of fitting him into the game.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I don't think he's cell shaded no, but he still does look pretty cartoony.

I actually think he looks a lot like a well animated clay model myself, and I don't mind the look at all. As for where it'd be better fitting if he were cell shaded or not, I don't think it would make much of a difference since this game has your more realistic characters, as well as cartoony and anime-ish characters.

courte

Smash Lord
no because samirai panda along with common knowledge for some and a bit of snooping tells us
cel shaded characters equal cel shaded game

what i want to know it why those few "hardcore zelda fans" really didn't play wind waker and still refuse too...

i've heard some say because it's cel shaded, which is cack and bull, and others say because he's a kid, which is actually series accurate so what really gives

B.W.

Smash Champion
no because samirai panda along with common knowledge for some and a bit of snooping tells us
cel shaded characters equal cel shaded game

what i want to know it why those few "hardcore zelda fans" really didn't play wind waker and still refuse too...

i've heard some say because it's cel shaded, which is cack and bull, and others say because he's a kid, which is actually series accurate so what really gives
You raise a good point, but that's going a bit off topic, doncha think? We're not talking about hardcore Zelda fans who refuse to play Wind Waker (I don't know why it's a great game), just about whether Toon Link is cel shaded in Brawl or not.

abgar

Smash Apprentice
then you think ness and the other ness-guy should be 2D sprites, because thats their original style?

UncleGrandfather

Smash Cadet
If he was cel shaded then he would look more out of place. They probably made him textured just because it would have taken a lot more work to make him cel shaded anyway and this way he doesn't look out of place with the rest of the characters.

Doesn't everyone agree that he would look to weird if he were cel shaded?

And again, I've heard that it takes an entirely different game engine to do cel shading, maybe they could've tried to simulate it.

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
I think it'd be cooler if he was cel-shaded. It just makes it more like his character. Ike I think looks better in texture though.
For his costumes though, instead of a Dark Toon Link (which I think looks weird, and somewhat supports the idea that he was meant to be a clone :() a black and gray/white costume would've been better. Also, why no Island Costume? :cry:

Top Bottom