• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Falcon outdated in the current meta? (discussion)

Brdwthacgr

Smash Rookie
It seems like for the past few years Falcon mains who seek improvement are slowly moving on to other characters. Is this a sign that, because of the way this game has evolved, that he isn't as viable as we thought he was? I'm going to attempt to avoid putting my own opinions on the topic; I'd like Falcon main(s) and people more related to the subject discussing this.

XenoFalcon95

Smash Cadet
I'm no falcon main, but s2j and wizzy both got top 8 at big house this year. IMO falcon still can do well in the meta and people give up on him too easily. Not outdated quite yet.

Chiggaman23

Smash Rookie
Don't you know how famous Falcon is both casually and competitively? Calling Falcon outdated is a crime against humanity.

But seriously, S2J is making huge strides by the minute. He still is very popular.

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
Falcon wins tournaments all the time. If YOU want to use him, nothings stoppin you, my region has a ton of falcons that win stacked tournaments and place high so I'm sure you could do it.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
This sounds like a post that would have been made in 2012. You're five years late. Falcon is doing better than he literally has ever done.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
This sounds like a post that would have been made in 2012. You're five years late. Falcon is doing better than he literally has ever done.
Pretty much this.

I think he's a very good character to learn even if it's just to get the fundamentals of playing a faster character that's less about thinking ahead and more about reacting as soon as you see it coming.

Falcon is still a very good character. He just, fortunately for his balance and unfortunately for his usage, doesn't have everything up his sleeves like S Tier Characters and some A Tiers some other characters that are totally not in Sm4sh at all so don't even bring it up omg. Except muscles. He has a lot of that up his sleeves and everywhere else (Sakarai knew what he was doing). He's fast enough to approach and wall others out, and fast enough to get away usually. He has some issues with projectile users, since he has none of his own or a means of deflecting them. He has big issues off stage if he's thrown with very little variety for turning the tables/getting back to the stage. He's got drawbacks that make sure he's relatively safe with some "oops I messed up" options, but still has to constantly watch his back. Just like Peach, Lucina, and pretty much most of the B Tier Squad. Maybe some of the C Tier Squad too.

For whatever reason I find the safer the character is to use, the less fun I have and I honestly assume the same goes for my opponent unless they're also S+ Tiering or whatever. But more importantly, I want every single action to be absolutely fabulous. Sure Bayonetta is sassy and fabulous, but we all know that's dollar store weave she has which is why it has low priority when being used for sassy attacking hairflips. Anyway fabulous-sassy-everything is literally the only reason why Zelda is playable secretly SSS+ Tier. Zelda can never lose while looking that fabulous and sassy. All she needs to do is throw out some sparkles, DTaunt, UTaunt, idle-pose, or even hold down for a few seconds to win... Then Bam! 100% winrate in competitive, in FFA, in For Glory, in whatever. Please, before it's too late...
Wrong version of Smash aside, the following still applies:
:4zelda:BAN•ZELDA:4zelda:
:secretkpop:!~! A S A P !~!:secretkpop:

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much this.

I think he's a very good character to learn even if it's just to get the fundamentals of playing a faster character that's less about thinking ahead and more about reacting as soon as you see it coming.

Falcon is still a very good character. He just, fortunately for his balance and unfortunately for his usage, doesn't have everything up his sleeves like S Tier Characters and some A Tiers some other characters that are totally not in Sm4sh at all so don't even bring it up omg. Except muscles. He has a lot of that up his sleeves and everywhere else (Sakarai knew what he was doing). He's fast enough to approach and wall others out, and fast enough to get away usually. He has some issues with projectile users, since he has none of his own or a means of deflecting them. He has big issues off stage if he's thrown with very little variety for turning the tables/getting back to the stage. He's got drawbacks that make sure he's relatively safe with some "oops I messed up" options, but still has to constantly watch his back. Just like Peach, Lucina, and pretty much most of the B Tier Squad. Maybe some of the C Tier Squad too.

For whatever reason I find the safer the character is to use, the less fun I have and I honestly assume the same goes for my opponent unless they're also S+ Tiering or whatever. But more importantly, I want every single action to be absolutely fabulous. Sure Bayonetta is sassy and fabulous, but we all know that's dollar store weave she has which is why it has low priority when being used for sassy attacking hairflips. Anyway fabulous-sassy-everything is literally the only reason why Zelda is playable secretly SSS+ Tier. Zelda can never lose while looking that fabulous and sassy. All she needs to do is throw out some sparkles, DTaunt, UTaunt, idle-pose, or even hold down for a few seconds to win... Then Bam! 100% winrate in competitive, in FFA, in For Glory, in whatever. Please, before it's too late...

:4zelda:BAN•ZELDA:4zelda:
:secretkpop:!~! A S A P !~!:secretkpop:
this is melee, hence 2012

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
this is melee, hence 2012
Holy **** people still discuss Melee that's actually amazing. I just assumed since it was on the front page it was Sm4sh. I guess you know what they say about assuming, amirite?

Still the last part applies. Why hasn't she been banned from competitive play, people really need to get on it ASAP.

nyansylveon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0619-5060-5926
I'm not a very experienced Falcon player and I'm under average with him but I still have fun with him getting knees and running around and I don't think (even if he's bottom tier in the next smash games) he'll lack popularity. Other reasons are his ability of hold his own against higher tier characters, his speed, his damage, and most importantly he can win tournaments as long as you know how to play him very well. He might now be as popular competitively if hes bottom tier in the future but If he stays the same or go up speed wise he will grow in popularity casually because he fun. I would hate seeing him suffer in bottom tier and so would a bunch of people so we would ask Nintendo for a buff and if they're nice they'll give it to us.

Last edited:
Top Bottom