• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Custom Mario Worth Practicing?

Is it worth practicing Mario w/Customs?

• Total voters

TheSteveEngine

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheSteveEngine
3DS FC
3909-7548-2082
I generally play without customs on since the people I play Sm4sh with don't like them very much.

That being said, I know that customs are fairly popular in the competitive scene, with the biggest example being this year's EVO. However, I've also heard rumors about its waning popularity.

I know that Mario has insane tools and options with customizations turned on, although I heard that Doc's were better.

So the question is: If I want to be a successful Mario main competitively, is it best if I started practicing with customs on? If so, what are his best sets? Are the custom sets universal across the community?

I should mention that unlocking customs isn't a problem for me since I have both the 3DS and Wii U version (painstakingly) 100% completed. ... If unlocking customs is actually a problem in the community.

Last edited:

Seal

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't bother because no tournaments aside from some locals use them any more. Chillindude said it pretty well in this pre-Evo freestyle.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Better practice default Mario. Most tournaments don't run customs and even if you attend a rare one that uses, default Mario is fine too.

Top Bottom