• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Brawl Good Enough For Competitive

Michael Sherrin

Smash Rookie
Get your metaknights out of here because we're talking about fun characters. Plenty of characters have a nice feel to them but most of them are just still too slow. I think Lucas, Snake, Pikachu, and Jigglypuff can still be competitive but with 3 characters a game can't be made competitive. It's just too slow, I don't think we'll be seeing Brawl in the tournament scene very much.

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
A game being slow doesn't make it not good or not competitive, just less exciting perhaps (I don't think so personally, but some others do)? There are examples of slow paced, but competitive videogames out there (also card and board games) that receive higher levels of recognition ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iWjx4piaZE). So, in my opinion, brawl can be considered competitively viable because of the above reasons.

Last edited:

Vanbro

Smash Rookie
NNID
GoldTiger
3DS FC
4038-6940-9957
I think it should stay competitive, because going back to what Nuttre said, being slow doesn't rule it out from being a competitive game. Now I do think Brawl is slow, but it is very competitive. Captain Falcon and Diddy Kong are competitive players, along with many others! Brawl didn't ruin Smash!

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
People had lost interest in Brawl even before ssb4 came out. Instead, ssb4 was nothing but the final nail in Brawl's coffin.

I truly believe the game is good enough for competitive. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be a community supporting it for over 6 years. In fact, Brawl's still my favorite smash game. It just feels like home.

That said, Brawl will only have competitive play in tiny player niches, much smaller than 64's fanbase.

Dr. Doctor

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkwingBuck
There's a competitive market for everything. Even slow games like Chess and Scrabble have world championships, but they're not really covered because they aren't exciting.

No one can deny Melee is exciting to watch. It's fast and exciting, but it's harder to follow. Brawl, 64, and Sm4sh will always be my favorites because they were always easier to get into. Brawl is a competitive game, but on a much smaller scale. It could never stand up to Sm4sh and Melee.

Rahu700

Smash Rookie
Why not? It can be played at competitions and has a decent enough following. Whether it compares to Melee is another story though...

tru.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Brawl definitely can be competitive, although some people have transitioned to SSB4 and threw Brawl in a dusty corner of their room, never to be seen again. The reason Brawl was not as successful as it could have been is because of the lack of balance between characters. As many know, Meta Knight and Ice Climber were to two strongest playable characters out there, so the fact that lesser-skilled players could dominate with an overpowered character was a turnoff for many. Something that also made Brawl iffy was it's physics. By physics, I am referring to the way characters moved, their weight, how they jumped so high, and how it was difficult to set up combos.

ValiantNorth

Matrix Speedruns
Brawl definitely can be competitive, although some people have transitioned to SSB4 and threw Brawl in a dusty corner of their room, never to be seen again.
I threw mine on the internet and sold it... Actually I had 5 copies, sold all of them but one, sadly not even worth the physical space in my opinion. Too bad because I've always had a special eye on Brawl, wish It could have been a non-modded thing.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You know what needs to be a thing? Brawl Hipsterism.

You know, having Competitive Brawl entirely because everyone else likes Melee and PM tournaments more.

Melee elitism. Brawl hipsterism. Let's make that a thing, shall we?

No?

Ifrit_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skyloftknight123
3DS FC
1375-7213-2200
You know what needs to be a thing? Brawl Hipsterism.

You know, having Competitive Brawl entirely because everyone else likes Melee and PM tournaments more.

Melee elitism. Brawl hipsterism. Let's make that a thing, shall we?

No?
I'm down. #BrawlHipsterAndProud

GameRat

Smash Cadet
Some people like Brawl because its a lot less fast paced.
Yes, you could get competitive with that game, but in my eyes it isn't that exciting.
The mechanics are extremely different compared to melee.
Characters are a lot more floaty in Brawl and tripping was probably added in so new players could still have a chance at beating more experienced players. Brawl feels like a party game, something that Melee tried to be, and I'm pretty sure that feel was intentional.

Top Bottom