• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is blocking PK Thunder a thing now?

abx

Smash Journeyman
A few days back I was facing a quite skilled Sheik player. When I had to recover via PK Thunder he threw himself towards my Ness and blocked my recovery attempt so that Ness would fall to the abyss. Sheik meanwhile glued herself to the wall of the stage, only taking some damage. The first time it looked like a failed attempt to simply gimp me, but I'm sure that it was done on purpose the second time because it didn't look as if Sheik was trying to actually reach me. Sheik used wall-glue again.

I was a bit impressed, but didn't thought much about it. Today I faced another opponent playing Robin two times he did the same. I'm sure that it was done on purpose, Robin was one stock ahead every time he tried to. Not to think about doing this and teching out of the spike. And it hurts Ness' recovery pretty much because he can't do much about it.
Did you experienced this as well?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
As the metagame progresses, attempts to counter more prevalent characters in the metagame will naturally surface. I have had this happen to me a few times. Teching is incredibly easy in this game so you can expect most competitive players to be at least somewhat competent in it. And since it is now common knowledge that Ness's PKT2 distance is greatly reduced when it collides with an object or hurtbox, people are developing more techniques for gimping Ness here. Pit's can use Orbitars in this matter. Some will choose to cancel out the PKT with another projectile. But any character can just take the blow. If they aren't a high percents or the angle favors them, they just take a lot of damage for the cost of your stock. Otherwise they can just take the hit and tech into the wall (not hard to do with some practice). Sometimes performing your recovery low can help circumvent this. You simply need to get creative with your timings and angle more now than ever.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Learn how to recover clockwise when off the left side, and counterclockwise when off the right side. It is significantly harder for them to stop, predict, and handle.

Uffe

Smash Hero
This isn't anything new. Your best option is to recover high or save your second jump if you want to avoid dealing with that sort of thing. You can take EBE's advice, which is good advice, and/or you can delay the 360 spin, rotating it longer, and then hitting yourself into PKT2 to recover. That could be dangerous because you risk falling further down and you also risk getting hit out of the PKT animation.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
This has been done since the very first game.

You have to get creative with your recovery. Stop recovering predictably and conserve your DJ. Try to make it back with only that. If not, hit the opponent away before using PKT2, or use it at a close distance to the stage to get invulnerability until you snap to the ledge.

Top Bottom