• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is approaching just not in WFT's game?

Tornado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEF5Tornado
Seems like every time I play against a WFT, their strategy is to IMMEDIATELY back off the edge and just hit soccer balls and start saluting the sun. This could just be "For Glory Syndrome" of course, since the most recent one I played immediately switched to samus and proceeded to go off the edge and just shot missiles and charged plasma shots.

Last edited:

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
You can probably approach with her crouch cancel, but no matter how many times I try I just can't pull it off.

Also short hop n-air has no (or just little) landing lag, so you can do that a bunch.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
As someone who used to main Wii Fit Trainer for a good while, I do believe that Wii Fit is best played defensively (zoning playstyle). Approaching is somewhat possible, but only after you've conditioned your opponent a certain way with your zoning. Wii Fit Trainer relies on forcing the opponent's approach rather than approaching herself due to many flaws (awkward aerials, bad poking ranges, short grab range, but effective zoning and healing).

Overall, Wii Fit Trainer's playstyle is reactive. He/she doesn't have the tools to control the tempo of the match like other characters.

Last edited:

Kikaioh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ParkourSquid
3DS FC
4055-4356-1945
I actually run to the edge a lot myself, but a lot of it depends on who I'm fighting. For example, against Captain Falcon I tend to fight face to face more often since hopping over him is easier, his moves seem maybe a tad slower to pull out in comparison, and interrupting his attacks with SS is effective. Against a really fast character like Sonic though, I'm more likely to go over the edge since WFT is a bit ways slower than Sonic, uncharged SS's fly over his spindash, and her on-stage options seem a bit out-classed in comparison. WFT's edge game I think is really good for her, since she can roll in very deep, has great recovery, a quick grab, good projectiles, and 3 spikes, so I think the ledge is generally a good area for her to camp.

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
You can also approach using RTAC or running behind your projectiles. For example, you can use the cancelled header to both cover your opponent's jump options from above while still approaching them from the ground, forcing them into a defensive state.

You can also create an advancing wall by using a full hop header followed by a SS as you descend, followed by your actual physical move. If it launches, you can either try a combo or start the wall over with another header and force them offstage, where you shine.

RTAC lets you gauge the enemy's reactions by fading in and out of their attack range before committing to one yourself. I like to use Jabs out of RTAC .

You can also short hop, air dodge. Using that and Bair actually works well because it prevents you from getting shield grabbed and/or crosses up.

Reverse Fair is a decent approach at later percents since it either crushes the opponent or stage spikes them, giving you a free kill setup.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Usually I just jump off the stage and immediately start charging a Sun Salutation like such:
Credit to AceStarthe3rd for the YouTube videos used to make these
Since it doesn't take too long to completely charge up, you should be back up on the stage before you know it. Not many people challenge WFT's air game because of how good it is. This gives pressure to the opponent, causing them to more than likely play a little bit more defensively because you have an attack in reserve and you can whip it whenever you want. Approach how you want from there.

That's all the info I can give. For me, approaching with WFT isn't all that hard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom