• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is anyone else still caught off guard by how scary Bowser's attacks can be

Anragon

Smash Apprentice
Well I play Bowser like 90% of the time but I know what you mean.
Most of the opponents screams their anger when I hit them with F-smash or see the 19% dealt by B-air/Side-B. It's the best feeling ever when you see their put out faces xD

Don't mess with the Swaggy Sweg Dropkick bro.

Now I can't get caught off guard as you say because I play Boozer so much I know what to expect now.

MrEh

Smash Hero
The only scary thing about Bowser is Bowser Bomb.

Because unlike the other 95% of his moveset, Bowser Bomb isn't as telegraphed.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The only scary thing about Bowser is Bowser Bomb.

Because unlike the other 95% of his moveset, Bowser Bomb isn't as telegraphed.
I think it's close to the most telegraphed move he has. He stops mid air and twists around, then hovers there for a moment before falling. Then, there's the painfully long recovery time after he hits the ground...

Unless you mean the ground bomb, in which case I agree that it's fast but it's situational and quite dangerous to use at the wrong time.

Last edited:

Element_Demon

Smash Cadet
I notice Bowser can shield grab you very easily, due to how big his shield is....He's insane. I do think however as the game progresses, there will be some exploits on how to take him on a little easier. But as for right now...he's a tank.

IzzyWright

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0791-3719-4467
HI is where people go to get high and feel good about their smash skills
Come join the mainland D:<

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Like Bowser's entire moveset.

ha
Yeah, unfortunately, I'm realizing that Bowser has a lot of the same problems he always did, mainly that opponents who know to sit back and force Bowser to approach can generally still destroy him.

And if they have a reliable projectile, oy...

Honestly, I think Bowser needed a bit more SA to really be competitive. I've been doing very well with him in online matches, but I actually see where the openings were that my opponents missed or where they messed up in general. A player who knows all of Bowser's tricks AND forces him to approach has an extremely low chance of losing.

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
Yeah, unfortunately, I'm realizing that Bowser has a lot of the same problems he always did, mainly that opponents who know to sit back and force Bowser to approach can generally still destroy him.

And if they have a reliable projectile, oy...

Honestly, I think Bowser needed a bit more SA to really be competitive. I've been doing very well with him in online matches, but I actually see where the openings were that my opponents missed or where they messed up in general. A player who knows all of Bowser's tricks AND forces him to approach has an extremely low chance of losing.
Honestly, if Bowser had any more Hyper Armor, he'd be broken as heck. In what way do you approach a campy opponent as Bowser? The game is already a month old; by now, most people will have figured out his usual approach options and can deal with them. You cannot keep doing the same experiments and expect different results. You have to change up your gameplan and include some air dodges with your approaches. Well timed ones can put pressure on campy projectile-happy opponents. I am still learning how to effectively incorporate air dodging into my approaches, but so far, it has been giving me better results against spammers. Practice makes perfect.

Anragon

Smash Apprentice
The short hop airdodge -> Special move thing is pretty efficient against spammers.

Also anyone use Bowsers hitboxes as a "nope" to projectiles ? I love jabbing them especially with the super shot running cancel animation.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Honestly, if Bowser had any more Hyper Armor, he'd be broken as heck
I disagree.

Putting it on his slowest, most easily punished and avoided move isn't going to break anything, especially if the armor only applies to his trip DOWN.

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
I disagree.

Putting it on his slowest, most easily punished and avoided move isn't going to break anything, especially if the armor only applies to his trip DOWN.
Bowser Bomb is not meant to be a move that you use without reservation. It is Bowser's "slowest, most easily punished, and avoided move" for a good reason, especially in Smash 4: It breaks shields. I've KO'ed people at zero percent because they chose to shield my Bowser Bomb just as I am directly above them right at the stage edge. As other people have mentioned, Bowser Bomb is, and has always been, a situational move that Bowser uses to trump landing punishments.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Bowser Bomb is not meant to be a move that you use without reservation. It is Bowser's "slowest, most easily punished, and avoided move" for a good reason, especially in Smash 4: It breaks shields. I've KO'ed people at zero percent because they chose to shield my Bowser Bomb just as I am directly above them right at the stage edge. As other people have mentioned, Bowser Bomb is, and has always been, a situational move that Bowser uses to trump landing punishments.
It's still stupidly easy to avoid. Bowser hovers in midair for a full half second before dropping on you, giving you ample time to roll or spot dodge (if you get hit by the 2nd hit box, oh well). As the meta goes onward, only a terrible player will ever get hit by it.

Top Bottom