• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is 20XX mod a must when practicing?

MegaJoseph32123

Smash Cadet
In my current situation, I have a physical copy of melee with a gamecube and there is no way for me to get melee 20XX mod any time soon. I see a most people playing with the mod and it's making me feel that it's not right to practice without it. But is it okay not to have it or is it a must have?

As for my status as a player:
I am a beginner wanting to get into the competitive scene and havent played in any tournaments.

Thanks in advance.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Depends, do you want to learn waveshining and other excessively complicated techniques? If so, then yes you will want to use 20XXHP.

But if not, either vMelee or 20XX Tournament Edition will work.

MegaJoseph32123

Smash Cadet
Depends, do you want to learn waveshining and other excessively complicated techniques? If so, then yes you will want to use 20XXHP.

But if not, either vMelee or 20XX Tournament Edition will work.
Well I can do most of the simple techniques like wavedashing, wavelanding, teching, and L-canceling. Stuff that I havn't gotten down yet is stuff like sheild drops, power-sheilding and reliable edge-gaurding. My guess as to the best thing I can do now to practice is to actually play against people.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Then no you don't need 20XXHP, i do recommend using 20XXTE because that's what you will see in most tournaments.

I practice with 20XXTE myself and honestly i don't even make use of the stuff like infinite shield health.

MegaJoseph32123

Smash Cadet
Then no you don't need 20XXHP, i do recommend using 20XXTE because that's what you will see in most tournaments.

I practice with 20XXTE myself and honestly i don't even make use of the stuff like infinite shield health.
What is the diffrence in HP and TE?

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
The major difference is that 20XX Hack Pack is meant for training and requires a hacked Wii, while 20XX Tournament Edition only requires a memory card with special save data and is geared for tournaments, including great features like frozen stages, replays, and some more.

Installing 20XXTE won't permanently modify your game (Just use a different Memory card for playing vMelee)

You can buy a 20XXTE memory card at 20XX.me or if you have a friend with a modded Wii you can get it for free, here are some instructions:
Click here for instructions on how to install it into your memory card
Click here for instructions on how to boot it up after installing
NOTE: 20XXTE requires Melee version 1.02 NTSC

If you can't run 20XXTE because you don't have Melee 1.02, then i have a fun mod for you: SD Remix Lite
It's installed the exact same way as 20XXTE but it's compatible with any version of Melee (you need to choose the version corresponding to the region you live in, though) Click here for more info about this mod and it even includes custom stages!

Those aren't the only Memory Card mods though, if you are interested you can look for more in these forums.

As soon as you get the chance, buy a Wii and install the homebrew channel on it, that way you will be able to get access to the best mods around for Melee.

MegaJoseph32123

Smash Cadet
The major difference is that 20XX Hack Pack is meant for training and requires a hacked Wii, while 20XX Tournament Edition only requires a memory card with special save data and is geared for tournaments, including great features like frozen stages, replays, and some more.

Installing 20XXTE won't permanently modify your game (Just use a different Memory card for playing vMelee)

You can buy a 20XXTE memory card at 20XX.me or if you have a friend with a modded Wii you can get it for free, here are some instructions:
Click here for instructions on how to install it into your memory card
Click here for instructions on how to boot it up after installing
NOTE: 20XXTE requires Melee version 1.02 NTSC

If you can't run 20XXTE because you don't have Melee 1.02, then i have a fun mod for you: SD Remix Lite
It's installed the exact same way as 20XXTE but it's compatible with any version of Melee (you need to choose the version corresponding to the region you live in, though) Click here for more info about this mod and it even includes custom stages!

Those aren't the only Memory Card mods though, if you are interested you can look for more in these forums.

As soon as you get the chance, buy a Wii and install the homebrew channel on it, that way you will be able to get access to the best mods around for Melee.
This is great info. Thank you so much for your help!

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
In my current situation, I have a physical copy of melee with a gamecube and there is no way for me to get melee 20XX mod any time soon. I see a most people playing with the mod and it's making me feel that it's not right to practice without it. But is it okay not to have it or is it a must have?

As for my status as a player:
I am a beginner wanting to get into the competitive scene and havent played in any tournaments.

Thanks in advance.
Don't they sell GC memory cards with 20xxTE installed already? I think they're like $20 or less.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DKXRRL?m=A30FIFLNC8IDDN

Says its currently unavailable but maybe you could find another.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Don't they sell GC memory cards with 20xxTE installed already? I think they're like $20 or less.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DKXRRL?m=A30FIFLNC8IDDN

Says its currently unavailable but maybe you could find another.
I already told him this, and since they are out of stock it's a better idea to install it on his own.

And in the first post he was actually talking about 20XX Training Hack Pack, not TE.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
"You can buy a 20XXTE memory card at 20XX.me or if you have a friend with a modded Wii you can get it for free, here are some instructions:"
Sorry. Didn't see this earlier, TDRR. Just tryna help!

I do know he was talking about HP, not TE, again, just trying to offer a suggestion to help out!

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry, people keep telling me all i say comes off as aggressive but that isn't the intention ;)

Top Bottom