• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Introducing Melee during Military Training

rupan

Smash Cadet
So basically I am supposed to be away from home during the summer to attend military training for the along with approx. 50 other people my age for around a month. This is my second time attending this training and I thought that this would be a good way to introduce Melee to the 50 some people since our training is only 4 hours a day and the rest of the day is just chilling. I currently have two set-ups and I'm working with someone to help me bring these CRTs. Is two set-ups enough? And are there any effective methods to introducing someone to Melee and are there things to look out for in order to keep them interested?

Pauer

The Pauerful
That's pretty awesome! I'm sure people will want to play. My best guess is that two setups will be enough but it's hard to tell.
Is it perhaps possible for another competitive player to come by from time to time? As you know, seeing some decent melee being played can be exciting to watch.

I guess when someone shows a little more interest, you can tell them about the melee documentary and maybe watch it with them. That usually gets people hyped.

In my experience, there's not so much you can do to convince people to get interested in competitive play past the initial introduction.

rupan

Smash Cadet
Actually I do have another competitive player coming to military training with me! I'll be sure to let them in on the Melee Documentary if they are interested. Hopefully I'll be able to grow my community a little more!

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Trying to dash and getting a walk
Trying to dash dance and spinning around in a circle
Trying to tilt and getting a dash attack
Trying to jump with momentum and staying in place

That sort of thing.

rupan

Smash Cadet
Trying to dash and getting a walk
Trying to dash dance and spinning around in a circle
Trying to tilt and getting a dash attack
Trying to jump with momentum and staying in place

That sort of thing.
Yeah I get those things quite often, hopefully it doesn't turn newcomers off from the game entirely

Milky2Milk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hydgen29
If they haven’t played Melee before, make sure their first impression is good:
You could let them play some casual matches with items before you teach them some competitive tech.

As they always say: First impressions are important.

Milky2Milk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hydgen29
If they haven’t played Melee before, make sure their first impression is good:
You could let them play some casual matches with items before you teach them some competitive tech.

As they always say: First impressions are important.
If their first impression is tones of training and difficult tech, they might be put off the game.

Milky2Milk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hydgen29
That is true, should I also be introducing tier lists straight away (if they get into it) or just let them choose a character they like?
I would recommend you let them mess around with a few different characters at first. If the character the like isn’t that good, you could introduce them to characters with similar playstyles and movesets.
E.g. Roy and Marth, Kirby and Jigglypuff, Pichu and Pikachu Ect.

rupan

Smash Cadet
I would recommend you let them mess around with a few different characters at first. If the character the like isn’t that good, you could introduce them to characters with similar playstyles and movesets.
E.g. Roy and Marth, Kirby and Jigglypuff, Pichu and Pikachu Ect.
Sounds good! Although if they insist on using a characters weaker counter-part I would like to see what they come up with cuz that would be interesting

Last edited:

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
I'd say try to convince people it's good: instead let people see how cool it is and naturally get interested. If you aren't going with anyone else who plays melee though, this probably wouldn't work.

Top Bottom