• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Intrigued by Duck Hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Could not see the charm or intrigue of Duck Hunt when I unlocked him initially and played with it.

For 64, Melee and Brawl Link was one of my mains just for pure projectile zoning and spamming. Duck Hunt's projectiles moved kind of slow for my pacing when I first tried it and I thought the Gunmen special was a pretty lame move.

I've been maining Wario on Wii U since the game came out and it wasn't until the other day that I faced an excellent Duck Hunt player. Duck Hunt's uTilt canceled out Wario's dAir, one of the few uTilt's in the game that can and same for DH's uAir. Bike Spamming is one of my strengths with Wario to zone a player where I want, and this guy was handily neutralizing my bike strategy.

I was also amazed at how fluid his calculations were with positioning and timing projectiles. I got my ass kicked because I'd never planned or had to deal with a Duck Hunt that well played. Even had to send a message to the dude to tip my cap.

Since then, I've been trying my hand with Duck Hunt with some success. I'm still learning how to mix in the Gunmen with the Pigeon. I'm thinking too small-minded always feeling I have to connect with the Pigeon, instead of using it to make the opponent move where I want.

After practicing for like 3-4 hours with DH last night, I'm starting to learn how to use the Gunmen as a shield, the pigeon as a diversion (letting it land near them as opposed to at them to make them move), and controlling the physics of the can to make them dance around it.

What I'm trying now is to use the can and pigeon in the same simultaneous flow. I played a solid Fox player last night, and one of my "that was sweet" moments was Fox trying the illusion over my head to get back onto the map, and a lightbulb came into my head and I read it and threw a can up in the air and he hit the can head on and gave me a KO. I knocked him off, and then used the pigeon throw as bait. He jumped once more then tried that illusion then I caught him with the can.

I'm disappointed that DH's dAir is not as useful on the map as I'd like it to be. I also cannot time the mini jump-fAir attack.

Any of you fellow DH'ers have any tips? I struggled against Zelda and Zero Suit Samus last night.

Also, when the game lags online it really hurts my timing with Duck Hunt. I can get away with lag using Wario because of how I use Wario, but if it lags my precision with DH goes down the tubes and I can't execute the game plan.

Spirst

For tips, your best bet is to read around the boards. However, we have a thread that, while it doesn't get much usage since DH isn't a popular character, has some tips you'd find useful.

http://smashboards.com/threads/cant...read-of-tips-and-tricks-for-duck-hunt.377397/

I'd also suggest checking out the old competitive thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-duck-hunt-competitive-smash-4-thread.368373/

The new one that's stickied (http://smashboards.com/threads/the-dog-house-duck-hunt-moveset-at-thread-metagame-discussion.384069/) was recently made and so lacks the kind of discussion the old one had at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom