• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

interesting find

Mith_

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if this is known or not but yea:

I usually keep my cell phone next to my computer monitor. But I noticed that every once in a while my monitor's image would distort a bit, right before I got a text or call. So I'm thinking, ok, the phone vibration causes my screen to shake haha. But then when it distorted I looked at my phone and I had no text or call so my phone wasn't vibrating. A second or two later my phone vibrated and I had an unread message! So for some reason when I have a text or call incoming that causes my monitor to distort. Interesting. Does anybody know what causes this phenomenon?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
It sounds magnet-related. Magnets do screwy things to screens of any kind.

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
that's pretty cool, is it a CRT monitor?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Can a magnet cause permanent damage to my monitor?
I don't know about computer monitors, but I do know that a magnet caused a permanent green blob on my old TV.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Some of those distortions from magnets will go away with time if they're not very bad. But they won't if it's more than a small blemish.

It IS possible, though highly hazardous, to use a magnet again to get rid of the spot. I would recommend doing this only if you're about to throw away the TV anyway. In which case playing with it is a good deal of fun!

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I love the "break it again to fix it" logic. Our parents taught us, "If the TV stops working, just smack it a few times until the picture comes back."

meta master

Smash Journeyman
it could be a magnetic field, however, it could be that the computer is able to pick up some of the data in the frequency but doesn't know what to do with it. happens all the time to me as well including with anything wireless (eg, nintendo ds connecting to internet)

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
In the future, remember that speakers emit magnetic fields that can mess up your screen too. Subwoofers are the worst for this if placed poorly.

I've seen it happen a couple of times. Someone'll put a speaker facing their monitor, or lay their subwoofer on its side facing the monitor. *sigh*

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Technology is certainly not everyone's strong point in America. :p

Kri3o

Smash Apprentice
Hanging out with my badass dragon friends in Chica
I'm not sure if this is known or not but yea:

I usually keep my cell phone next to my computer monitor. But I noticed that every once in a while my monitor's image would distort a bit, right before I got a text or call. So I'm thinking, ok, the phone vibration causes my screen to shake haha. But then when it distorted I looked at my phone and I had no text or call so my phone wasn't vibrating. A second or two later my phone vibrated and I had an unread message! So for some reason when I have a text or call incoming that causes my monitor to distort. Interesting. Does anybody know what causes this phenomenon?
Phone X Computer

Their connecting when that happens.

Mith_

Smash Champion
In the future, remember that speakers emit magnetic fields that can mess up your screen too. Subwoofers are the worst for this if placed poorly.

I've seen it happen a couple of times. Someone'll put a speaker facing their monitor, or lay their subwoofer on its side facing the monitor. *sigh*
Good to know! Thanks for the heads up :)

Top Bottom