• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inputs do not register when playing online

Samlage

Smash Cadet
Does anyone else here perform ****ty compared to when you play offline? Even if it's against friends from the same town, and it SEEMS lag free, it feels really awkward for me.

Sometimes my character walks or stands still when i input dash as an example. My friends who are more of the mashy kind doesnt feel affected/notice what I'm talking about. What is going on?

Is it just my imagination or is it a weakness to have a more precision based playstyle online instead of buffering an attack 5 times in a row before it appears?

Last edited:

Samlage

Smash Cadet
Blame nintendo and their broken servers
What servers? Its just p2p, right? What i dont like tho is the lack of a proper ethernet port. Wifi only on a gaming console is just dumb. Especially when you live in urban areas where 5-30 connections may overlap on every channel and cause interference.

Nah

Smash Champion
There's basically 2 types of lag. The kind where the game gets slow and/or choppy, and input lag. What you're experiencing is the latter, and usually you get only one or the other if you get lag. So with input lag you're character's actions will be delayed (sometimes up to a whole second) but the game will still run at 60 FPS or whatever it is Smash 4 runs at.

How often does this lag occur for you though, and how much delay is there usually?

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Does it count as input lag if you lose your 2nd jump? I've had many times where I go to double jump as part of a normal recovery, but the jump fails, even though I know I've yet to use it, and haven't had it taken from me. By the time I realise it's not going to work though, I've already fallen too far to recover as most characters.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
This happened to me yesterday in both Smash and 1 on 1 (For Glory). I was playing Meta Knight and many times I would input a command and Meta Knight would do nothing, other than either walk or run to some random direction. The weird thing is that the lag was minimal in Smash and I didn't notice any lag during the 1on1 matches.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I haven't played online in a few months, but when I did there were plenty of times dancing blade would stop after one hit with both Marth and Lucina. Up, down or neutral- it didn't matter. I basically gave up using it online.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I guess it depends on what you mean. Are the inputs delayed, or are they literally not reading correctly?

If they are delayed it's due to lag on online matches. I can normally tell when input lag is going to happen when the screen is still black but the Stage Music already starts. If you're talking about them just not reading correctly I've never experienced this at all; however a IRL friend who I frequently play with in 2V2 For Glory always claims his character goes in the opposite direction of what he input. For example, he'll say he went to the right when somehow his character goes to the left instead for some odd reason.

Personally I think he's full of it though and is most likely making excuses for his own mistakes; however if you're experiencing something similar to what my friend is then I guess it is something that just happens randomly online or something.

Top Bottom