• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Input Delay

atv1992

Smash Rookie
This has been discussed a lot and lots of people are experiencing it, I'm not here to say that I'm experiencing terrible input delay, because I really don't plus I have a lan adapter to avoid this type of problem, but I'm here to ask you guys a question.

I am an offline and online player, as far as online goes, I can notice input delay even on a good connection, it is especially noticeable while trying to shield stuff or punishing things like for example Yoshi's jab (yay Yoshi online). This kind of stuff doesn't really happen while I'm playing offline, but anyway! Here's my question:

Does anybody know how many frames does it take for an input to come out on a good connection? I don't know if anyone has done this type of tests, I just think it would be interesting to know.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
In general: 6-12 frames.
It can vary wildly. I know there are videos like this that say all controllers have the same lag:
But I think it forgot to take into account other variables, such as batteries and distance to the console. After using a 3DS to play on a Wii U for over 300 hours, I assure you using the controller from a distance when the batteries are running out can sometimes yield... interesting results.
But if you're playing a wired controller/wireless controller when next to the console, you can probably count on having 6 frames of lag.

atv1992

Smash Rookie
In general: 6-12 frames.
It can vary wildly. I know there are videos like this that say all controllers have the same lag:
But I think it forgot to take into account other variables, such as batteries and distance to the console. After using a 3DS to play on a Wii U for over 300 hours, I assure you using the controller from a distance when the batteries are running out can sometimes yield... interesting results.
But if you're playing a wired controller/wireless controller when next to the console, you can probably count on having 6 frames of lag.
Yeah I knew about the beefy smash dudes video and I know about controller delay offline, but I wanna know how online affects it.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Yeah I knew about the beefy smash dudes video and I know about controller delay offline, but I wanna know how online affects it.
Then that has to do with ping. Basically, ping is how long the game will take to update what is going on. LAN ping is 5 miliseconds, which is unnoticeable since that's a third of a frame, but in FG, you're never exactly with optimal connection, so you're often with something like 50, 100, 200, probably even 400 ping in some of the laggiest matches, which is why you get so much input delay.

Top Bottom