• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In search of technical help with recording audio clips from movies.

Foxhound 3857

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask in, but I didn't know where to put this.

Anyway, I'm having a dilemma with my movie "Pound Puppies and the legend of Bigpaw." This movie has 6 songs that I'm very fond of, and I'd like to have them on MP3 file so I can listen to them on the computer whenever I want.

The problem is that the movie didn't do too well when it first came out, so no official soundtrack was released, and nobody on any torrent or file sharing program has the songs. That leaves me with one option: Cut the scenes with the songs from the movie itself and record them personally.

If anyone is willing to help, I need to know what programs will be necessary for this, how to find and extract the specific scenes from the movie, and then how to record the audio of those clips without any outside interference.

Many thanks to those who are willing to help me, and Merry Christmas all!

Foxhound 3857

Smash Cadet
The problem there is that I don't know which files the scenes with the songs are contained in, and there's about 60 different files to go through here, all of them listed with Video_TS, VTS_02, VTS_03, etc. I have no idea what the hell I'm looking for.

I could try each file one by one, but I might risk damaging the movie.

This is so confusing...

Foxhound 3857

Smash Cadet
This SHOULD work, but it doesn't. I tried recording the sound, but when I played the finished file, I got nothing but silence.

Are DVD's fitted with DRM Copy Protection? If they are, and I quote from the FAQ: "# If the audio source is DRM Copy Protected, you won't be able to record it."

What do I do then?

Sensai

Smash Master
What you could do, although be it roundabout, is rip the movie to your computer using HandBrake (rip it to an .avi file or something) and then extract that audio from THAT file using any program that does it (my pick being AoA Audio Extractor: http://www.aoamedia.com/audioextractor.htm).

Also, depending on the movie, you can legally download it from online; it constitutes a backup copy.

Foxhound 3857

Smash Cadet
Good news and bad news.

Good: I found a way to do it. I downloaded a program called AnyDVD, which allows me to temporarily remove the CSS copy protection status from the movie, which allowed me to record it. I tested this and was able to get 2 of the 6 songs recorded, edited, and saved in WMP format.

Bad: The two programs I'm working with are a piece of crap. AnyDVD is slow to respond, and Freecorder crashes in the middle of a recording session.

I can live with AnyDVD, but aren't there any better audio recording programs that I can use?

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
I've always used ripit4me for ripping dvd's. IF you need help using it, this tutorial may help. Once you get the movie file, you can get any program that can extract the audio from it, such as mediacoder like Eight Sage suggested =)

EDIT:
wow just realized that i'm 3 days late, haha! I guess this is what happens after I'm gone from smashboards for almost week xD

Foxhound 3857

Smash Cadet
It's okay guys; I was finally able to record the audo without interference.

What I did was download a program that allows you to get around the CSS Copy Protection factor, and then I run the movie normally and it allows me to record it. Thank god for AnyDVD.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Top Bottom