• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(In Development) New Tournament in the 805

J3RK

Smash Rookie
Hey smashers in the 805, and possibly beyond, I'm a new comer to the smash scene here. Since being here I've noticed that most, if not all, the tournaments that normally take place are hours away from the 805 area. With that said I've decided to create a tournament here in the area for all the smashers who can't or don't want to travel hours to get their smashing fix. I plan to host the tournament somewhere in either Camarillo, Ventura, or Oxnard to make it accessible to just about everyone in the respecting counties.

Currently, all the information below is what I can provide right now. Keep in mind EVERYTHING is subject to change as I'm constantly looking for different venues that can accommodate everyone for accessibility, price, and time. I will be constantly updating this thread with new information when I get it.

Location: Currently, the Camarillo Library possibly taking place in the Community Room or Conference Room. The Community Room can house over 16 persons (upwards to 200 persons), but the Conference Room can house ONLY 16 people. I'd like to add that the Library is not the only venue I'm looking into, but it's the one venue I have the most information on and the one I have plans to use.

Cost: Largely dependent on the location of the event, as well as, how much time I think the tournament will take. The price can vary from $7-$20. This is for the venue fee as well as participation in the tournament, assuming everything goes as planned.

Date and Time: Hopefully sometime in late March or early April. If that’s not possible there will be an update stating so. It normally takes about a year in advance to reserve the Community room, but I have been told that there are a few openings in the next month and beyond. The time of the event could be midday on a weekend or late afternoon on a weekday. The currently planned venue, library, only allows me to rent out the room for 4 hour increments at a time, so it's planned for the tournament to end within either 4 or 8 hours depending on the turn out.

Events: I'm, right now, only planning for Melee and Wii U singles. I have to take into consideration the time restraint for renting out either rooms, so doubles events are, sadly, on the back burner for the time being.

Tournament format: This is also currently up in the air, and it's dependent, again, on the amount of interest. The two formats I'm considering are either double elimination or a re-modified Swedish system. To clarify that is a new modified system that I hope to introduce so that players can get more fighting experience whether they qualify to the next round or not. Just a heads up if there are 16 or less than 16 people then the re-modified Swedish System will be used (if people are interested), otherwise anything over 16 people will use the double elimination format.

Prizes: I’ll be frank; I don’t have any sponsors so I’m endorsing this event entirely out of pocket, and paying back the venue takes priority. The only way that I can achieve cash prizes is by the amount of participants that there will be. I hope to at least be able to offer cash prizes that match the amount for entree.

Here are some examples of what the tournament could look like:

Example #1:

Date and Time: March 25th 12:00pm-4:00pm

Cost: $10 fee, $3 waved with complete Melee set up (CRT, Gamecube console, copy of Melee)

Events: Melee Singles

Tournament format: Round Robin or Re-modified Swedish System, tournament legal stages unless decided by both players, 4 stocks 8 minutes, no hand warmers until semifinals stages

Prizes: If more than 14 players: $10 or greater prize pot divided into 60%, 30%, 10% for first, second, and third respectively

Details: Bring your own controller (BYOC), no hand warmers during pools, friendlies allowed IF abundance of complete set ups (more than 3 complete setups), player cap 16

Example #2:

Date and Time: April 21st 12:00pm to 8:00pm

Cost: $10 venue fee, $5 per event, $3 waved with complete melee or Wii U set up (CRT, Gamecube console or Wii, copy of Melee; OR Monitor, Wii U Console and copy of Smash 4). Free event, if you can provide BOTH complete Melee and Wii U set ups.

Events: Melee Singles and Smash 4 singles

Tournament format: Double Elimination,
Melee: 4 stocks, 8 minutes, legal stages unless otherwise chosen by both contenders
Wii U: 2 stocks, 6 minutes, legal stages unless otherwise chosen by both contenders, custom moves allowed

Prizes: If more than 55 attendees, $40 cash prize or greater divided among the top 3 60%, 30%, 10%

Details: BYOC, no hand warmers, friendlies allowed IF abundance of complete set ups (more than 12 set ups per event)

All in all that's everything I have to offer at the current moment, if you're interested please let me know, your feedback is detrimental to making this event a reality. Also please feel free to voice any and all questions, concerns, ideas, or comments that you have about the event, I'll be glad to answer them as best as I can.

Top Bottom