• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improving my link?

aVerySneakyBox

Smash Rookie
NNID
boxxku
3DS FC
0001-3530-7749
HEADPHONE USERS BEWARE! LOWER YOUR VOLUME

Hi guys, Sorry for the quality but please bare with it, i'm still working on my setup but anyways can you guys explain what I need to improve on? Like what I should avoid doing or what I should be doing ? I'd like to see what other link players say about me .I still play at a "noob" level and i'd like to improve. Thanks :)

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Hey man o/

I'm not a Link main (I have two friends who plays him tho), but I'll still jump on the opportunity to tell you a few tips about what is coming next. :p

First of all, gratz on finding your character! It's like the most important part lol. So yep, you may realize that the AI in this game are really annoying. It's because they spam jabs everywhere and actually read your input on difficulty 8 and 9. The best way to actually develop a mindgame is to get destroyed by better players, as your play will adapt to them. So jump in the car and participate in as much tournaments as you can. Even if you never win anything, it's always a great learning experience.*

But if you can't right now, there is still stuff you can do. As you may realize, Link is one of the most technical characters out there. There's a bunch of things to learn about him, and somehow the community here keep discovering more. So you want to practice the basics. You still need practice into mastering that wavedash, and you may want to try to implement moonwalk into your game. Also, learn how to DI (Directional Influence). You'll survive at much higher percent with it. But of course, ditch those level 9 cpu. If you have any additional controller that you can plug in, you can get a character idle on the top platform, or you can try to practice combos on lvl3 cpu as they DI the best.

Then comes the fun \o/ All those nice tricks you can learn! So yep, I'll just let the many Link mains here list a bunch of important things to learn, or you can also watch tutorials on youtube, and read the many threads in the Link forums.

Of course, all of this may seem a burden, look intimidating, but with just a bit of practice you should be able to pull off all these things everywhere. One day you learn something and wonder "How am I going to implement this in my play style?", and then you spam the said technique everywhere. xD So yep, give yourself lets say two weeks, and you'll be decent at it pretty quickly.

As for your video, you seem to be using good options when attacking. A little work here and here with the spacing, and you may find even better options when you start facing real players. Also, try to avoid using your grab too much, as Link's grab is pretty bad and punishable. Be as careful with it as puff players are with rest. Use it only when you are sure to get that grab.

So yep, have fun, you chose one of the most epic characters to play. o/

*When I joined my first tournament, I didn't even know how to wavedash lol. Now my Boozer got good :083:

aVerySneakyBox

Smash Rookie
NNID
boxxku
3DS FC
0001-3530-7749
Oh I didn't know that about AI, when I was a kid I use to brag to my cousin about how I can fight 3 level 9 AI and win and he would be like yeah right :/ But that was ages ago before I found out about competitive melee.Anyways, I always played link before from 64 to brawl but when I saw germ play him I was amazed.

I know how to wavedash better with other characters like pikachu and actually implement it but for link I have a hard time getting the timing right so I end up not doing it often. Sometimes I just jump or other times I jump a little to high and end up air dodging instead. Its hard to find other players here (PC master race is dominant here, ya know, dota and lol) that play smash here, let alone melee because most people "don't like the graphics" or "its too old" and rather play sm4sh. We have a group here that plays smash together maybe once or twice a month because we have scheduling conflicts with our classes so most of the time. But yeah i'll try to practice more with lvl 3s .

Thanks!

Synnett

Alligator Lord
You will find moonwalk better than wavedashing by the way, Link wavedash is pretty abysmal. :o Probably the best use of it would be wavelanding on a platform.

And yep, I guessed it was kind of a struggle to play Melee in your country. But don't give up, maybe someday you will be able to visit some other countries with a stronger Melee scene. :083:

SAUS

Smash Ace
You will find moonwalk better than wavedashing by the way, Link wavedash is pretty abysmal. :o Probably the best use of it would be wavelanding on a platform.

And yep, I guessed it was kind of a struggle to play Melee in your country. But don't give up, maybe someday you will be able to visit some other countries with a stronger Melee scene. :083:
I don't think moonwalk is very useful lol. It is mostly just fun to do. You are better off dashing away and doing a pivot option or just even walking away (not much slower than dashing away) so you can do stuff like up-tilts and easy turn-around moves.

Link's wavedash is bad compared to other characters, but as one of the best out of shield options in the game, you have to learn to do it.

Im speculating that moonwalks might be good for edgeguarding to get a bit further out, you _do_ after all get a tad more momentum moonwalking offstage compared to just running off stage.

Top Bottom