• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improving fox neutral/ tech chase game

Kiusthugs

Smash Apprentice
I seem to go into autopilot mode when I play a match with fox. I just throw out countless shffl nairs hoping for it to hit, being super aggressive. Once i get a hit on it specifically on spacies, I look to tech chase as it sends them to the ground. Thought I think I am really bad in these situations and it just leads to another 50 50 neutral game when I could have punished the way they teched. Any tips on how to improve reactionary tech chases?

Chocodiamondz

Smash Rookie
In my opinion the best way to convert of shines vs. Falco or Fox is to wave-shine in to Thunder's Combo, but this can be difficult to perform consistently. Therefore, people like You and I like to tech chase. I do this by wave-shine then I wave-dash downwards to bait out any get-up option, while still being in range to punish. Luck has a good guide on tech-chasing on SSBM Tutorials you should go watch those.

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion the best way to convert of shines vs. Falco or Fox is to wave-shine in to Thunder's Combo
Thunder's can be countered with SDI'ing the jab up and following with Shine or aerial- but is worth learning if your opponent doesn't counter it and you don't like tech-chasing.

Tech-chasing is something you can improve on in multiple ways:

Some people react tech-chase, which imo is the hardest method- if your timing isn't perfect your opponent can side-step/jab or shine the approach.

You can also tech-chase through reads if you notice your opponent has patterns.

I like 'semi-reaction' tech chasing, in which I'll prepare for a grab if they choose a certain option, and cover the others with a shffl'd aerial into shine, (eg. Drill shine), so that it's a little safer than risking a whiffed or badly timed grab.

You can tech-chase sufficiently regardless of your method so long as it qualifies as a good punish.
Just keep in mind that a bad tech-chase can sometimes be worse than not tech-chasing at all.

Last edited:

MrWeavile

Smash Apprentice
When they start spacing your nairs and punishing them, you need to start to think of different options to open them up. If they have enough stage space to space out your aerials, you should see it as not possible to approach in this way. Using nair to bait them out is a good option during neutral if they're dash dancing camping; throw out a SH nair and hold back on the control stick to make it seem like you're invading their space or committing but giving yourself enough space to dash back and punish their counter. Neutral's difficult to explain in words since there are so many factors that go into it.

In terms of conversions off shine, shine > dtilt is a good option. DI in and you get a further conversion. DI away and it'll usually become another tech chase situation or even get them off stage depending on %. Running shine > dair also works as an auto jab reset. Running shine > nair can also work but more for pressure than getting both hits usually.

Top Bottom