• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

improving at melee by playing brawl

lakwa

Smash Rookie
Okay, so I'm kind of in a slump. When I play I have no reason, plan, mindgames or anything I just autopilot. Now when I play I feel like I don't improve and I need a different take on the game and to learn how to think when playing instead of autopiloting. What I think may help is switching to brawl for a slower pace and to learn how to think when playing and actually control the stage. I feel like this will help me improve as fast as I can instead of just be in a slump in improving my tech skill but still autopiloting. But another thing I need to know is if any brawl players can help me get into the community and tell me how to transition into/back to melee. Please comment for discussion and ask any questions about this post because I really need help.

( this was posted originally from my reddit thread idk if this is a good sub to post it but please bare with me )

Okay, so I'm kind of in a slump. When I play I have no reason, plan, mindgames or anything I just autopilot. Now when I play I feel like I don't improve and I need a different take on the game and to learn how to think when playing instead of autopiloting. What I think may help is switching to brawl for a slower pace and to learn how to think when playing and actually control the stage. I feel like this will help me improve as fast as I can instead of just be in a slump in improving my tech skill but still autopiloting. But another thing I need to know is if any brawl players can help me get into the community and tell me how to transition into/back to melee. Please comment for discussion and ask any questions about this post because I really need help.

( this was posted originally from my reddit thread idk if this is a good sub to post it but please bare with me )
I am going to say you should stick with Melee and skip Brawl. I am not saying that Brawl cannot give you say an additional perspective on things, but you should find more success by making things simpler in this case. Instead of dividing your time between two characters you stick with one character. Instead of splitting your time between two games simply spend time on melee by itself.

If you are having problems with certain things, then maybe its best to take I one step at a time and address each one. You probably will not have immediate success with say a game plan. But, you can make rough idea of one and keep trying it out. Get your feedback remedy and adjust the gameplan and keep working at it. General steps of making a goal/plan on how to rectify some issue and try it out.

Last edited:

| Big D |

Smash Master
If you are willing to try Brawl I say give it a shot. If you don't like playing it then as Xeylode said it isn't worth continuing just to become better at Melee. However I can say this, the skills you take away from Brawl transfer to all the smash games quite nicely. Even though I haven't been playing Melee very long, I can still hold my own against veterans and place well. I say give Brawl a shot because you never know you might like it. You would have another group of people to play with as well as more possible events to go to. You would get more out of multi-game events. Also if you don't feel like focusing on one game you can focus on the other.

As for getting into a local community, first step would be to search in the regional section on smashboards or check facebook for smash groups in your area.

Transitioning back and forth is different for some people. Personally I don't have a problem transitioning but I'd request a button check before any tournament matches to get you used to the engine.

Playing Brawl will improve you at playing Melee. Playing Melee will improve you faster at playing Melee. The transition between Brawl and Melee isn't 1:1. There are some things you'll be losing or gaining in the transition

If you want to learn the mental aspect, I recommend playing Street Fighter. It's a game about hard decision making. Either you're entirely right or entirely wrong. It's not as much of a game you can autopilot and overwhelm your opponent in. The game asks its players to use moves that counter your opponents' kinds of actions. The players are pushed to make hard predictions

Top Bottom