• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improved Super Crawl?

Paladinight

Smash Apprentice
Over there! no, no, the one on the left or is it t
Hey guys I don't really know if this known but I looked around and can't seem to find it anywhere. So as most of you know if you do a Monkey Flip from above a certain height and don't press a button on landing Diddy Kong will maintain that momentum, and then it is possible to shift that momentum by crawling backwards. However performing this while facing left doesn't yield the same distance as when performing this facing to right. Plus aside from the fact that this technique currently only has any real benefit while facing to the right, there's not much you can do while crawling backwards. In fact as far as I know it's only Jab, Banana Pull, Jump, and Shield, to get any real benefit you must end the crawl and once you do you're left to the options you would have during the neutral game. So aside from using it to space around a little you can't really do that much with it.

But today I was messing around and found a way to alleviate both only being able to perform it facing to the right and the limited options available to you. Instead of holding the crawl if you press Down > Down Back > Neutral, Diddy will slide backwards but in a neutral position and this works even while facing to the left. Note it has to be done reasonably quickly. Now because Diddy is in a neutral position you're free to do anything you desire out of slide while maintaining the backwards momentum, except for Jab, F-Tilt and F-Smash as they cancel the sliding momentum.

Also while we're here I want to say that you can also pivot out of the Monkey Flip sliding animation instead of just sliding forwards so it's possible to Monkey Flip over someone and attack behind them while moving away or even Pivot

Sliding backwards and pivoting extends into the neutral game as an approach option as you can Monkey Flip where ever you want and be able to space and attack accordingly.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Hey guys I don't really know if this known but I looked around and can't seem to find it anywhere. So as most of you know if you do a Monkey Flip from above a certain height and don't press a button on landing Diddy Kong will maintain that momentum, and then it is possible to shift that momentum by crawling backwards. However performing this while facing left doesn't yield the same distance as when performing this facing to right. Plus aside from the fact that this technique currently only has any real benefit while facing to the right, there's not much you can do while crawling backwards. In fact as far as I know it's only Jab, Banana Pull, Jump, and Shield, to get any real benefit you must end the crawl and once you do you're left to the options you would have during the neutral game. So aside from using it to space around a little you can't really do that much with it.

But today I was messing around and found a way to alleviate both only being able to perform it facing to the right and the limited options available to you. Instead of holding the crawl if you press Down > Down Back > Neutral, Diddy will slide backwards but in a neutral position and this works even while facing to the left. Note it has to be done reasonably quickly. Now because Diddy is in a neutral position you're free to do anything you desire out of slide while maintaining the backwards momentum, except for Jab, F-Tilt and F-Smash as they cancel the sliding momentum.

Also while we're here I want to say that you can also pivot out of the Monkey Flip sliding animation instead of just sliding forwards so it's possible to Monkey Flip over someone and attack behind them while moving away or even Pivot

Sliding backwards and pivoting extends into the neutral game as an approach option as you can Monkey Flip where ever you want and be able to space and attack accordingly.
Try using the c-stick for Dtilt.

Also, watch E2C vods of Dismantle, MVD does it a bit and shows off some cool stuff IIRC.

Paladinight

Smash Apprentice
Over there! no, no, the one on the left or is it t
Try using the c-stick for Dtilt.

Also, watch E2C vods of Dismantle, MVD does it a bit and shows off some cool stuff IIRC.
I watched MVD and while he doesn't use super crawl in neutral too often, when he does he utilises it for spacing really well. If he learns about doing it this way I can see him doing even more excellent stuff.

Right now I'm more focusing on my fundamental movement and overall execution before I really start considering this as a movement option. However some things that I was messing around with yesterday was landing in front and Monkey Glide (I guess that's what we can call the general action) backwards into;

As a general spacing tool, D-Tilt / SH Fair (jump carries the backwards momentum as well) / Peanut Popgun (would work great with a Banana) / Banana Pull

U-Tilt / U-Smash / SH Fair to punish anti-air if they want to air punish

D-Tilt / Grab if they want to dash after you.

Plus you can overshoot them and do other stuff, but yeah you can get a fair amount of options.

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
You can say all you want.
Supercrawl is easily punishable af.

Sonicninja115

You can say all you want.
Supercrawl is easily punishable af.
So is wave dashing.

It is too fast to react too. The opponent can get caught in shield wondering if you are going to attack or grab. When used correctly, it isn't that punishable.

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
Wavedash and supercrawl arent even comparable.

Sonicninja115

I'm not going to discuss theory neutral because that's completely pointless. I'm only here to present and discuss options available from this technique.
What about Banana toss down out of super crawl? That should work really well.

Top Bottom