• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm writing an Ike guide for Competitive Play.

I'll be using a lot of @san. 's info, some stuff I find in threads here, and a lot of my personal experience as a tournament player.
I'll be using @Sethlon as a base, since his guide writing skills are peerless, and some of the better Ike guides I've seen since '08 to help structure this and see what they do right to convey info. I'll also look at some of the worst guides out there to remind myself to take no shortcuts.

I've taken 1st both offline and online with primarily Ike. I believe he has what it takes in competitive play, he simply requires a LOT of hard work to use effectively, but he doesn't really feel limited once unlocked, which is what I believe sets him in the border between high and upper-mid tier. The barrier between Ike when he isn't truly utilized, to Ike when some form of mastery begins to develop, is larger than other characters in my experience. I want more people to realize his toolkit and what they may be missing for that next level to take Ike from a Hero to a Vanguard.

I don't know when this will be done. Most likely a few weeks or months at most. I'm not going to rush it, but experience with several research papers helps me estimate these things.

If there's anything you don't want missed in the guide, or anything that should be included, please leave a post so that I can make this guide as effective as possible.

Last edited:

Vue35

Smash Rookie
Mobilty is really important I find for Ike in general, especially for zoning out certain enemies with nair and aerials. Not sure if Ryo has any guide out there, but his videos of his matches are actually really educational with the latter mechanics of Ike.

I'm definitely gonna put that in, Ike playing really well in the neutral pays off most for him. He doesn't feel like he truly has mobility issues when I stay on someone with no fear, it really helps against mobile characters like Sonic, Captain Falcon, Zero Suit Samus, and Fox. Along with nair, I'd throw in fair (mainly when they're above you or SHFF approaching), bair when it's safe on shield or when you can read them for a free hit off it, uair in specific situations, jab (1-2, 1-2-3, or just holding A), grab, down tilt, and sometimes forward tilts (especially angled) as his bread-and-butter in neutral. When he's using them all correctly, he's terrifying in the neutral, and it usually feels like I'm doing psychic-level stuff as a result.

Some other mobility stuff includes overshooting, tomahawking, recovering correctly with Quick Draw (deciding when and where to go above, when to go for a hit, or when to snap to the ledge, knowing that a hit means Aether after) and lots of other empty short hops.

Last edited:

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
It would be great if you could include Frame Data Stuff in your guide too.It's kinda annoying how people say this and that move has 18 Frames or so.But it always seems way faster 2 me.So I would be grateful if you could list up all his moves,so I can have an imagination when I can beat what move.

Top Bottom