• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm officially in a Ness lock... there's no escaping now.

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
On Saturday I entered my first real in-person paid tournament (I've been to other smashfests before, just hadn't entered an actual tournament).

I decided I was going to play Peach because I wanted to give myself as much of an advantage as possible. I ended up winning the first match because this noob Falco kept CCing my Dsmashes... but the two matches after that against a Marth and a Samus I got 2-0'd both times. The Marth I faced, I was really wondering if I'd benefit from counterpicking Ness the second match, but I chickened out. After I lost I asked if I could do a quick friendly to see if I would have faired better with Ness, and believe it or not, I actually did (still lost though).

I switched to maining Ness because I was becoming uncreative and bored with Peach and I also wanted to revisit my childhood casual main. But honestly, the amount of work I've put into Ness thus far has surpassed the total effort and understanding of any other character that I actually feel more comfortable with Ness, despite living on the edge of every PKT recovery and every lack of shield or CC option.

IS THIS A CURSE OR A BLESSING!?

Last edited:

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Welcome to the club. It is a curse because now you have a chance of losing to people you should beat, but it is a blessing because you always have the crowd's vote (so it seems). In my opinion, low-tier mains end up having a better understanding of the game and the fundamentals of the game because they have to play around their character's weaknesses in order to compete. That is a general statement of course. Even if a low-tier main eventually switched to a top character (and put the necessary amount of time in) they would still have trouble being better than the top in the world, and usually even in their region.

I honestly think that overall it is a blessing. In my opinion, Ness is one of the most versitile of the low tier characters (except Zelda, she always has Down-B). He has the ability to play like a fast-faller because of his DJC and its mechanics (even when compared to Mewtwo's and Yoshi's), and can play like a floaty because, well...he is floaty. His recovery, in terms of distance and persistance is easily better than most low tiers, but because of his vulnerability you need to be creative with it. Besides...Ness is so much fun. I have been asked why I play Ness after I play Fox or Falco or some other good character. I would feel like I would be betraying why I play the game, fun, if I stopped playing Ness before I hit the final wall in my ability to improve.

Even if I go 0-2 in a tournament, it is always so much fun. Let's have some fun shall we?

SlimStealthy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3754-6831-7372
ik this thread is a it older but i have to say im in a similar situation. i recently happened to play ness and found out he was infinitely more fun than any top tier to play. ive yet to enter a tourney with him but when i do, im gonna win and its gonna be hella awesome cause ness is just too sick

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Just like Stealthy said I know this is kinda an old thread but whatever.
Ness is so much fun and I love him to death. He was my casual main and I'd like him to be my amateur main as well. I just want to make sure I can do some damage so I got to learning the fundamentals as Falcon. I think the time is approaching to unleash the beast, though...

Top Bottom