• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm in a bit of a pickle with netplay

kuriz

Smash Rookie
I've picked up this game only recently. I love it to death, but I'll probably never play another person in this game unless I can overcome this obstacle that presented itself before me. This obstacle... is trying to play netplay on Linux. Playing Melee/20XX on the Dolphin version (5.0) that comes pre-packaged in Debian's repositories works just swimmingly, but when I try to run FasterMelee, for some otherworldly reason, when I run melee through FM, Slippi, or any Ishiiruka Dolphin based client, the game flashes the css for a split second, and then blackscreens. I've asked the FM Discord and Reddit and got no response other than "I have no idea how linux works" or a "Lol just install Windows". I've asked SmashLadder and have yet to see what they have to say. I was wondering if there was any Linux users who've gotten FM, or any sort of netplay working who could tell me how they were able to do so. Please, I need a hand here.

Last edited:

Mr. Squirtle

Smash Rookie
I previously had troubles compiling faster melee, and recently got it working after reinstalling my distro (Linux Mint 18 > 19; Ubuntu 16.04 > Ubuntu 18.04). I'm not an expert at linux (apparently nobody is) but it probably helps to know your distro.

One idea is, if you are executing faster melee from terminal (type ./faster-melee or ./slippi-r18-netplay, whatever you have) when dolphin crashes there should be some output error that might give you some hints. I don't know who to ask but I think asking smashladder isn't useful since Anther is not the one that created faster melee - that would be whoever is managing the github page on https://github.com/FasterMelee/FasterMelee-installer/graphs/contributors

Top Bottom