• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm getting tired of the word "overrated"

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
Really, as soon as something receives the SLIGHTEST bit of praise, it automatically becomes "overrated".

It happens every year with something popular. As soon as something gains love, there will always be a group of hipsters who think its cool to call it "overrated". I've noticed Undertale has become a victim of it.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
It's just a buzzword people use when they can't think of valid criticism because they think it somehow makes them look better since they don't agree with the majority, people do things like this all the time even about subjects outside video games (music is a good example of this).

Though concerning Undertale I will admit I'm starting to get slightly annoyed seeing it literally everywhere I go. Doesn't mean the game is bad just my personal feelings

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
The word overrated is becoming a bit overrated, don't you think?
[Booed off the stage]
Though concerning Undertale I will admit I'm starting to get slightly annoyed seeing it literally everywhere I go. Doesn't mean the game is bad just my personal feelings.
I believe that will apply to anything popular nowadays. Take Frozen as a recent example, it had a slow start in popularity until more and more people started recommending their friends and family to see the film for its quality. Soon enough, it received an overwhelming amount of praise that attracted people who solely hate something due to its increasing popularity. To be fair, Disney did over saturate the merchandising with a bunch of advertisements everywhere you go.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I can understand. It's like when I go into an "Overrated Anime" topic, and 98% of the posts in the topic contain Naruto. It's like how can something still be considered overrated when practically everyone thinks it is so? Lol.

The internet sure has given hatedoms a chance to be annoying.

D

Deleted member

I admit I used to call things overrated but not so much anymore. People just typically say things are overrated if it gets praise and they don't like something that everyone else likes.
People just think popular=overrated and it's not always the case

EarthCrash

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
That's the glory of the internet: rapid exposure.

It may not even be overrated, just tiring to see often from your perspective.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I still stand by the statement that OoT is overrated.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
The term "overrated" is subjective and it varies between everyone's opinions on what they think what "overrated" means.

I will agree that calling something overrated just because its popular is dumb imo.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Honestly, I think "overrated" should apply to stuff that's become nearly memetic for it's immense praise when it doesn't really deserve such immense acclaim anymore. Something like Ocarina of Time, which is so universally praised as one of the best games of all time when it's aged pretty terribly and Majora's Mask had a lot of improvements, that is what I call an overrated game.

finalark

SNORLAX
Whenever someone equates word "overrated" to "bad" is when I take umbrage.

Overrated means that something isn't nearly as good as the praise suggests. It's entirely possible for something to be both overrated and good.

On that note, I've honestly played more "underrated" games that I thought were overrated than I have played "overrated" that I thought were overrated.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
When I was 12 I came up with a solution that has worked for me ever since -

Don't pay attention to anyone else's opinion, especially when it's negative.

Top Bottom