• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm considering making a smash website

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Not a competitor to smashboards of course. It'll focus on gameplay videos, organising them by character and such. I'll be posting a bunch of my own videos, how-tos, and commentaries. Since nintendo is going haywire with youtube claims, I'd rather not do this on youtube.

Anyways does that sort of thing sound like a good idea to you fellow smashers? Can't wait for the new smash, and I want to help bring the community together and make competitive smash more well known and 'alive' on the web.

Conda

The idea came from my re-emergence into the smash scene 4 years after I bowed out, and I noticed how lacking this great community is regarding online presence. An alive scene it is, but it definitely isn't very present in the online world. I would absolutely love to be there for the community and offer my hand, but I don't know if it's the sort of channel/site people would be interested in.

I'll probably do it anyway of course, but I'm going to be investing a lot of money so I'm trying to figure out which avenue to take.

Conda

Youtube isn't a viable route for people to invest money in if their content has to do with nintendo games.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Did you just make this thread to protest against nintendo taking the ad revenue away from people who upload videos of their products? You're videos would have to attract alot of attention or be insanely long and spoil the whole game for nintendo to even care.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
If ad money is what you want, use a website. Have a website with ads on it. Have your youtube channel link to your site and post written content on it. If you get big enough, sell merchandise.

Competitive Smash site is a mixed bag since the user base is far smaller though more dedicated. They wont stop caring after 2 years. Most fan Smash sites don't last long. There were a few that popped up during the Brawl days but none are around now.

Conda

I don't remember too many fan sites coming up during brawl, and those that did simply cloned what was already out there (allisbrawl is effectively the same as smashboards). This makes it easy for the new site to fail, since it's just a repeat of what's already available, and splits the community down the middle (and people eventually choose one or the other, most likely the more active one - smashboards).

Also I wouldn't be making a fansite persay, more of a broadcasting/video service. a alace for people to go to watch smash content and see what the competitive scene is all about, since there's effectively none of that.

Smash doesn't have much presence online, but I know the crowd is there. They simply don't have much in the way of online supporters or the like.

Do you really think the community is too small to possibly grow via online attention to the scene? Or do you think it has peaked, and the amount of players it has is too small?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I don't remember too many fan sites coming up during brawl, and those that did simply cloned what was already out there (allisbrawl is effectively the same as smashboards). This makes it easy for the new site to fail, since it's just a repeat of what's already available, and splits the community down the middle (and people eventually choose one or the other, most likely the more active one - smashboards).

Also I wouldn't be making a fansite persay, more of a broadcasting/video service. a alace for people to go to watch smash content and see what the competitive scene is all about, since there's effectively none of that.

Smash doesn't have much presence online, but I know the crowd is there. They simply don't have much in the way of online supporters or the like.

Do you really think the community is too small to possibly grow via online attention to the scene? Or do you think it has peaked, and the amount of players it has is too small?
Well...thanks to brawl it didnt exactly grow...

Top Bottom