• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm bad at the game and i'm looking to improve, any tips? (changing thread name since no one has replied yet pls guys its a dire situation xD)

Swagen

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2802-6494-6120
Heyyy! So some of you guys have probably seen me post some threads in the videos/livestream forum, and is maybe a little familiar with me x).
But thats beside the point, yes i think i need to improve a lot in Smash Ultimate, cus' the only character i can play fairly well is Yoshi, who is the only character i've gotten into Elite so far.
I've tried with Mario, Ike, Pichu, even Piranha Plant who came out right now but haven't gotten a single one of them into Elite which is my goal.

Any tips on what i should do to improve? Now that might be a difficult question for all of you cus' you have no idea how i play, but if it helps you can check some of my videos with my channel linked here in case that can help you. (THIS IS NOT A SHAMELESS PLUG! xD), i'm legit just looking to improve my game. Thank you so much and i will answer every comment 100%! :p

Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC45XHbRHYMErcKuGGsUc4pw

Example video: (feel free to scroll through other videos if you'd like ;P)

Last edited:

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
Okay so, I watched some of your videos(specifically the Corrin and Yoshi match) and I figured out some problems. First of all, you gotta space your attacks and be more defensive against characters with long range attacks. You seem to rush into them to get any sort of attack you can but a better player would just shield and wait to grab you.
Also, when recovering don't use your double jump too soon cause you'll be at another disadvantage being above your opponent. You also need to know what other moves characters have so I suggest playing each one in training mode to see every one of their moves or try to find players who main characters you've never fought.

Swagen

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2802-6494-6120
Okay so, I watched some of your videos(specifically the Corrin and Yoshi match) and I figured out some problems. First of all, you gotta space your attacks and be more defensive against characters with long range attacks. You seem to rush into them to get any sort of attack you can but a better player would just shield and wait to grab you.
Also, when recovering don't use your double jump too soon cause you'll be at another disadvantage being above your opponent. You also need to know what other moves characters have so I suggest playing each one in training mode to see every one of their moves or try to find players who main characters you've never fought.
Alright i see! Yeah, the Yoshi vs Corrin video happened a little while ago now and i always used to just rush in and dash to get any sort of attacks and combos out of it, but they would just shield and grab me just like you're saying, but i've already become better with being more defensive than just attack all the time! And yeah one thing i've learned from Smash Bros, is that having the high ground is more like having a bad time tbh xd, so yeah i'll get better with the double jumping. However your last tip is something i need to do much more, when i first try out a character i haven't played before, i just get too excited and just go online right away, when i should first go in training mode and get to know the character better.

Your tips was very helpfull! I appreciate it man :^)

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I watched a couple of the Plant videos. You get edgeguarded way too easily and you’re very predictable with your recovery. That’s why you were jumping into up smashes on stage. Also sometimes to low and sometimes go high. Sometimes throw out hitboxes. I think improving your ledge play and disadvantage would help you a ton

Swagen

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2802-6494-6120
I watched a couple of the Plant videos. You get edgeguarded way too easily and you’re very predictable with your recovery. That’s why you were jumping into up smashes on stage. Also sometimes to low and sometimes go high. Sometimes throw out hitboxes. I think improving your ledge play and disadvantage would help you a ton
Yeah the edgeguarding has been a struggle for me for a very long time that i just need to fix. And yeah personally i find my recoveries to be very strange for some reason because all i'm trying to do then is just to not get hit by my oponent at all which then as you say, makes me very predictable, but what can i say i've always been a simpleminded guy so it'll be tough to change. But thanks for the reply! I'll definitely improve as much as i can! :p

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Yeah the edgeguarding has been a struggle for me for a very long time that i just need to fix. And yeah personally i find my recoveries to be very strange for some reason because all i'm trying to do then is just to not get hit by my oponent at all which then as you say, makes me very predictable, but what can i say i've always been a simpleminded guy so it'll be tough to change. But thanks for the reply! I'll definitely improve as much as i can! :p
I think mixing it up and taking some risks (at the right times) and throwing out hitboxes can improve your recovery. You’re not bad you just need a few improvements and the ledgeplay is what I noticed first

Swagen

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2802-6494-6120
I think mixing it up and taking some risks (at the right times) and throwing out hitboxes can improve your recovery. You’re not bad you just need a few improvements and the ledgeplay is what I noticed first
Alright! Got you fam :p

Top Bottom