• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm a relatively new player, but I'd like some help on match-ups.

Buh

Smash Apprentice
I don't want a list of match-ups posted here, because there's a chance it won't get stickied. I made this topic on smashwiki:

http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Marth_Match-Ups

I've only been playing since August of 2007, so I haven't got a clue what to write for most of these match-ups. My friend is pretty arrogant and says he can play every character, but he can't really, so my experience in most match-ups is so limited that I don't want to put something down that happens to be incorrect.

Anyway, would anyone skilled or knowledgeable please edit the page?

I'll have some videos of my Marth vs. Hylian's Fox up later in order to have my Marth critiqued, but until then, I do have a few questions:

How does the chain grab on FD work against Fox and Falco specifically? Could someone post all of the variations that I do depending on the respective DI of Fox and Falco?

Say I mess up a combo that should kill Fox, and he happens to be at very high damage. What should I do? And what should I do if I manage to grab him?

When Fox upthrows you he almost always sets up for an uair (or occassionally bair). Should I DI the upthrow? Is there a way to consistently smash DI the first hit of the uair such that I avoid the second one, or do I need to "dash dance in the air" and hope it works?

How should Marth handle Kirby? In my 3 out of 5 with Hylian, I counter-picked FD and he picked Kirby. Now I know that Marth really ***** Kirby, but I was way too scared to play the match-up. So I picked Zelda and won. But I'd like to be able to win the match-up with Marth, and not have to resort to my garbage character for it.

How should Marth handle Pikachu? I just... suck against the little guy. >_>

Finally, there are some abnormal approaches I'm not very good at. From watching videos of Ken, I've learned about "false shffls" where you simply short-hop fast fall, and you can throw in shffl'd fairs occasionally to make your opponent think you'll do an aerial, then land a grab. I also learned dash dancing, and can pivot/DA dash relatively well. But I've only just learned about full-hop bair to fast-fall l-canceled fair. When should I use this appproach?

Top Bottom