• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm a new player and could use some advice

PineappleTommy

Smash Rookie
So I started playing about a month and half ago. I play with some school friends on dolphin. I can wavedash consistently and still learning to shffl. What should I learn next as a marth main? Should I have a secondary? Is buying a crt for my wii worth it? Should I enter resistance 4?

Era)

KZOO SMASH CEO
While I have minimal Marth knowledge, it is absolutely imperative that you get a CRT to play on. Not only are CRT's generally pretty cheap (Or free), you're going to notice an immediate difference. As far as a secondary, It's always good to have options, especially if someone has your character figured out.

meebius

Smash Apprentice
You shouldn't be worrying about having a secondary this early into the game

A CRT provides almost 0 frame drops while a HD TV can drop anywhere between 4-6 frames and will drastically affect your gameplay

If you want to continue maining Marth, practice dash dancing in and out of your opponent's moves
This is a good video that goes over proper spacing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfBuAo_Bfvw

Narpas_sword

You shouldn't be worrying about having a secondary this early into the game

A CRT provides almost 0 frame drops while a HD TV can drop anywhere between 4-6 frames and will drastically affect your gameplay

If you want to continue maining Marth, practice dash dancing in and out of your opponent's moves
This is a good video that goes over proper spacing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfBuAo_Bfvw
HDTV dont 'Drop frames' as far as im aware =/

They have input lag, sure, and it can be drastic depending on tv.
But if you take a look at your model you can see how much it lags.

mine for instance is 14ms, which is just under 1 frame of lag.
but that's one of the lowest as far as HDTVs go (monitors can be lower).

So yea, there are tvs out there at the other end with about 64-72 ms. but its not really between those.
Its more like

HDTV's can be anywhere between >1 frame to 6 frames.

If you are using an HDTV try and find a 'game mode' to use.

Last edited:

meebius

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, poor choice of words
There's definitely input lag from controller to HDTV

Game mode is a good substitute if you're not willing to get a CRT

CORY

wut
BRoomer
So I started playing about a month and half ago. I play with some school friends on dolphin. I can wavedash consistently and still learning to shffl. What should I learn next as a marth main? Should I have a secondary? Is buying a crt for my wii worth it? Should I enter resistance 4?
don't worry about wavedashing. if you can't shffl consistently, you won't be implementing wd as well as it could/should be used. if you can, drill out shffling in spare time (if you can't play on the setup by yourself for long enough to practice, just make that your primary goal in games, even at the expense of winning).

and work on learning to implement proper dash dance usage against people. the video meebius linked is one of the better summaries of why you dash dance and how to use it in a match. i'd even say go so far as to basically make your marth consist entirely of dash dance, grab, fair, and fsmash for a while (ok, maybe not the best idea, but that's the basic moves you build the marth neutral and punish off of, so they're good focuses).

once you've gotten the hang of dash dancing in neutral and how to bait, react, and punish, then start using wd more, since that's its best utilization (moving some set distance while maintaining your facing).

Top Bottom