• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's voice in Brawl

GenG

Smash Lord
A week ago, I asked in the Official E4All Questions thread if Ike talks in English, and later somebody pointed that he talks in English in Brawl indeed.

But, is the Path of Radiance actor or not? The PoR actor was one of the most amateurish thing I've ever heard in a videogame. The whole dub was amateurish save for a couple of voices. That voice sucked hard, doesn't suit him, and I couldn't stand him in Brawl.

My question is if Ike's voice in Brawl is a new one, just like they got a new voice for Metaknight. Maybe his voice in Radiant Dawn is already different, a better one, and they picked that for Brawl. Maybe it's totally new voice.

What do you guys think? Do any of you know about it?

D

Deleted member

His dad was the only good one in the dub. Ike's voice was okay, but not brilliant. It sounded right, but lacked any emotion whatsoever. Mist was horrible!

I hope Ike doesn't talk, or at most very little. Maybe a few lines here and there.

You know, I think I understand why LoZ doesn't have voiceacting. We DO all have ideas about how characters sound!

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
I hated Ike's PoR voiceover person thingy....zomg....

Greil's fit...

Black Knight's was...different than expected to say the least but w/e...

Mist made my ears bleed...

Reyson and Leanne singing was the best kind of "voiceacting" in the game...

hopefully Radiant Dawn has a different voice actor or if they hire the same dude...at least give him some frikin lessons or hopefully he has improved substantially........zomg >_<

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
I agree and mist voice did kill my ears listen to the sentence once greil knocked out ike "Oh youre up? about time :)!" loved that smile btw but yeah my ears definitly bled

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Dubs are for the most part stupid and a waste of time. Just use the original piece and do a sub instead. But for a videogame like Brawl, I think it'd be best if they just don't suck at dubbing. But hey, who doesn't know that.

Hong

The Strongest
I liked his voice, plus I mean it's not like VG voices are that big of a deal anyway.
I'm with xianfeng. It's a voice I liked more my second time hearing it though.

Edit - Though I should be more precise. I liked Ike's voice, but I disagree with what you say about voice actors. For example; Lloyd Irving in Tales of Symphonia. Wonderful voice, but horrible application. I don't want to turn off Battle VO just so I don't have to hear him. Voices are very important to me, but there is some bias due to me being a voice actress myself. :p

xianfeng

Smash Hero
See to me I don't see voice acting as that good of a career, particularly for Video Games because you don't get recognistion and your pay is no where near as high as that of a real actor. I don't care too much about voices as long as they aren't absoloutly horrendous which I have never found that to happen. I like Dedede's southern accent.

Hong

The Strongest
See to me I don't see voice acting as that good of a career, particularly for Video Games because you don't get recognistion and your pay is no where near as high as that of a real actor. I don't care too much about voices as long as they aren't absoloutly horrendous which I have never found that to happen. I like Dedede's southern accent.
It's not a career. I just do voices for flash animations, local theater and stuff. Though I haven't gotten any request this year.

As for Dedede's voice, I liked the southern accent concept. Just that Ted Lewis, in my opinion, didn't do a good job. He might have seemed okay in some episodes, but he just fell apart more then I would like.

To mention something on topic to make this post viable, I find it hard to imagine Ike's voice from PoR saying something cool after he wins a battle. :/

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
You know in the beginning of PoR (watch Griel vs The Black Knight), Ike's voice was whiny.

But towards the end, it became much deeper. lol

So I'm hoping it's his end voice.

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
Ike strikes me as kind of a quiet guy, like he's alwasy got a serious look on his face, and whenever he says somethign it's usually meaningful, so if he does say anythign it'll probably be somethign to the effect of him fighting to prectect his friends or somthing. not HAH I WIN!

I personally liked his voice in PoR, the best chunk to listen to is the end when he talks to Elincia. He has a very calming reassuring voice, not a spastic anime one, or a deep gravely overdone one. he's just normal.

Hong

The Strongest
Ike strikes me as kind of a quiet guy, like he's alwasy got a serious look on his face, and whenever he says somethign it's usually meaningful, so if he does say anythign it'll probably be somethign to the effect of him fighting to prectect his friends or somthing. not HAH I WIN!

I personally liked his voice in PoR, the best chunk to listen to is the end when he talks to Elincia. He has a very calming reassuring voice, not a spastic anime one, or a deep gravely overdone one. he's just normal.
Exactly. I don't want Ike trash talking his opponents after he wins. It's not like him at all. He's a very confident man, but he doesn't need to speak words to prove such a case. Ike, like the Black Knight, just speaks what's on his mind when it matters. Doesn't glorify himself or anyone, just his views.

Hong

The Strongest
Fortunately not. He now has a deeper and intimidating voice for the masked psycho he is.
I hope you don't really consider him a psycho, or consider this voice actor over the Japanese one. I mean, I can definately understand disliking Eric Stuart (The Spasish sounding one in the English anime), but Atsushi Kisaichi? He is Meta Knight's voice actor in both games and the anime alike. He does a great job.
Here's a sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9zNTEopJec

It's pretty obvious why Masahiro Sakurai wanted him back for Brawl. Such a shame they decided to make Meta Knight talk, forcing us to get an English voice actor.

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
I hope you don't really consider him a psycho, or consider this voice actor over the Japanese one. I mean, I can definately understand disliking Eric Stuart (The Spasish sounding one in the English anime), but Atsushi Kisaichi? He is Meta Knight's voice actor in both games and the anime alike. He does a great job.
Here's a sample:

It's pretty obvious why Masahiro Sakurai wanted him back for Brawl. Such a shame they decided to make Meta Knight talk, forcing us to get an English voice actor.
Meta Knight's accent was PWN.

That was like the only good voice in the anime.

But if it is his anime voice (we don't have a good enough video to hear it, IMO) we can expect DeDeDe's anime voice...urgh. :X

GenG

Smash Lord
Here's a sample:

I was obviously ignoring the Japanese one, because I was discussing the English one, and the Japanese is just superb. The Brawl English one is at least decent, although it doesn't have the chivalresque twist Kisaichi gave to the character.

I've seen enough Hoshi no Kirby chapters to not to love Kisaichi.

And I want Ogata for Dedede grunts zoi. Just the grunts. I don't expect Dedede say something deep, just making me smile.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I am so ****ing sick of people saying that Japanese voices are so much better, if you can't understand what they're saying how can you judge how good it is?

Rakath

Smash Ace
I am so ****ing sick of people saying that Japanese voices are so much better, if you can't understand what they're saying how can you judge how good it is?
It depends on the reason they say they prefer the Japanese over the English.

I use Rock Man to describe Rock Man in every instance but the American made Mega Man cartoon series which only had Proto Man and Wily as redeeming qualities. Why, because that's the character's name in the original. I prefer the original names/voices/appearances because that was their intended name/voice/appearance.

The reason the voice sounds prettier is the mystery of what they say, but irrelevant. Although Japanese is a rather elegant language in existance (considering the rules and sub rules, and exceptions which make English English)...

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Using the Japanese name of things when speaking English is wrong, It's not different it's wrong. You don't start up a conversation in an english speaking forum and then start using names and words from another language, that is incorrect not different.
In English Munchlax's name is Munchlax not Gonbe, to say otherwise would be incorrect. In English Megaman's name is Megaman not Rockman, to say otherwise would be incorrect. In English Ike's name is pronounced like like without the L not ee-kay to say otherwise would be incorrect.
And most people only say they prefer the Japanese VAs because they are weaboos and asume that everything the Japanese do is soooo much better. When in reality they probably heard of Japan through a cartoon show such as Dragon Ball Z and know very little of the language, use it incorrectly and have never even been to Japan.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Using the Japanese name of things when speaking English is wrong, It's not different it's wrong. You don't start up a conversation in an english speaking forum and then start using names and words from another language, that is incorrect not different.
In English Munchlax's name is Munchlax not Gonbe, to say otherwise would be incorrect. In English Megaman's name is Megaman not Rockman, to say otherwise would be incorrect. In English Ike's name is pronounced like like without the L not ee-kay to say otherwise would be incorrect.
And most people only say they prefer the Japanese VAs because they are weaboos and asume that everything the Japanese do is soooo much better. When in reality they probably heard of Japan through a cartoon show such as Dragon Ball Z and know very little of the language, use it incorrectly and have never even been to Japan.
That'd be true of "Rock" and "Man" were Japanese words and not English. The name is English words, and is easily proved due to the names being in Katakana (Japanese symbols used specifically for non-Japanese words). As opposed to Hiragana (Japanese symbols exclusive to Japanese words).

Never said that the English name for Rock Man isn't Rock Man, I said the ORIGINAL name of Rock Man is Rock Man. To say otherwise would be incorrect. I never said I was following the English, I'm following the ORIGINAL. Which is what I value. Also, Ike's name was not cast in Japanese, it was made (like MOST FE characters) to be English, because just like weaboos in the states the Japanese have an unnatural love for American names/items/things/language. These games weren't actually made for us, and a lot of stuff gets lost in translation (especially by Capcom but that's a whole different arguement).

Ike's name was meant to be Ike (Aike is the closest Japanese phonetic spelling you get to Ike. However the Katakana on the FE10 site says Aike while the English text says "Ike" very clearly), Mega Man's name was never meant to be Mega Man, it was meant to be Rock Man, otherwise it would not have been written as ROCKMAN as the title of each NES and SNES title in Japanese.

Also, FWI, from a phonetics, grammar, spelling, and overall ease of use, English is made overly complicated by compare to Japanese, save symbols. The English alphabet is much smaller than the Japanese alphabet, but that's it. I'd of much rather learned Japanese as it doesn't have so many frakkin' rules and exceptions to rules when it comes to spelling and grammar.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Some people know what they are saying, shut the hell up, people can like whatever they want. Freakin' elitist.

I don't know how much more there is to discuss... those videos were both awesome.
I really did like the Japanese Ike voice more because he sounded so much more aggressive to me...
but that's just me :D

True Fool

Smash Ace
TOPIC RE-RAILED!!! I'm not interested in you people and your whinings about irrelevent voices. I want to f*cking know how Ike's voice is in Brawl. Go make a new topic to whine about VAs in, I really want to know about Ike's Brawl voice.

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
I can rarely hear Ike's voice from any of the videos I've watched. Never heard him say actual words. Just the odd grunt here and there (and he's not nearly as vocal as, say, Roy).

The clearest I've heard is probably this vid. At 1:16 he falls off the bottom of the screen, and you can hear a pretty clear "Aagh" from him (right after one of the guys watching it says something incoherent :p). I haven't played PoR in a while, so I don't really remember what Ike's voice sounded like. Can't really say if that sounds like his PoR actor or not. But in any case... I don't expect Ike to say many words at all, just grunts. I've seen 2 of his victory poses (the one where he does Aether, and the one where he just stands there) and I don't think either have talking, either. I'm almost positive the Aether one doesn't, both vids had fairly decent sound and I didn't hear a word. So it probably doesn't matter as much, anyway.

Cyberbot5000

Smash Apprentice
That reminds me to play F-zero GX his lines were definetly humourous but I wouldnt say they were that bad:chuckle:

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
A week ago, I asked in the Official E4All Questions thread if Ike talks in English, and later somebody pointed that he talks in English in Brawl indeed.

But, is the Path of Radiance actor or not? The PoR actor was one of the most amateurish thing I've ever heard in a videogame. The whole dub was amateurish save for a couple of voices. That voice sucked hard, doesn't suit him, and I couldn't stand him in Brawl.

My question is if Ike's voice in Brawl is a new one, just like they got a new voice for Metaknight. Maybe his voice in Radiant Dawn is already different, a better one, and they picked that for Brawl. Maybe it's totally new voice.

What do you guys think? Do any of you know about it?
Jason Adkins didn't return in RD. I think they will use his RD or a new actor.

Royd

Smash Cadet
Yeah, but what if the girl sounded like a boy? Can you tell that? Sometimes it has nothing to do with acting, but more to do with fitting. What if David Hayter voiced Kirby, can you honestly imagine Kirby sounding like Solid Snake if you've never ever heard of EITHER characters before? The biggest pet peeve for me is that they don't even sound like who they're playing as.

Reyson and Leanne singing was the best kind of "voiceacting" in the game...
Funny thing about that is that Reyson and Leanne weren't dubbed over. That's the original Japanese voice.

Top Bottom