• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's Stronger Arm

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I'm having some difficulty getting Ike's U-throw chaingrabs on the spacies. I also cannot for the life of me do the Metroid Catch. Can I get some advice on percents/timings, and maybe a CPU level to practice on? Also, do Ike's QD chaingrabs work better on floaties or Fast-Fallers? Is it possible to CG the spacies with Uthrow and then CG them with the Metroid Catch for a lot of percent?

Commander

Smash Ace
From zero percent, you get 1 regrab on the spacies off of the up throw. Ike doesn't really have chain grabs of any kind. What are you specifically referring to when you say "the Metroid Catch"? You shouldn't use the up throw at mid percents and up on non-fastfallers because it becomes impossible to follow up.

The closest thing to a chain grab Ike has is his down throw on low-mid weights, however it is 100% DI dependent and works best below 30% and you can often follow it up with aerials or ftilt or something, but the coolest and best way to use it is as a DI mix up. You would condition your opponent to expect any throw that isn't down throw and then you can use down throw to start a small pseudo chain.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Right, my bad. I call regrabbing someone out of F/Bthrow by using a QD JC grab the 'Metroid Catch'. Seems fitting.

Also, I was convinced Ike had Uthrow chaingrabs on the spacies. Vro did a number on Chad's Fox at Melee FC 10, I believe. Unless it was removed.

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
To recatch someone out of quick draw would depend entirely on their DI. Just like Fthrow>QD>Bair. Maybe all of Metroid's opponents just have really bad DI and he isn't actually very good at all, just lucky.

At some point more knock back was added to the up throw, so if he did have a chain grab, he wouldn't have it now.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Ike can CG Fox/Falco/Wolf from like 0-60+ with Up-Throw.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
You have to do a Jump-Cancel Grab in order to get it to work. You can U-Throw Chain Grab some. It only lasts to 50, I think.

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
I'm having some difficulty getting Ike's U-throw chaingrabs on the spacies. I also cannot for the life of me do the Metroid Catch. Can I get some advice on percents/timings, and maybe a CPU level to practice on? Also, do Ike's QD chaingrabs work better on floaties or Fast-Fallers? Is it possible to CG the spacies with Uthrow and then CG them with the Metroid Catch for a lot of percent?
I got that from watching PMBR streams of 2.0 lol, I didn't make that up >.>. For an example of how to chaingrab/combo Wolf, you can check out Strong Bad's MM against Rat, and there's a second set if you're still interested.

CG'ing floaties with QD -> FThrow/BThrow/DThrow depends on the opponent's % and their DI; if they DI properly (down+away depending on the throw you use), then it's really hard to regrab them. At low %s, you can use QD -> RAR JC grab out of throws and at mid %s (probably ~40-50% or so), when they go farther away, you can use QD -> JC grab. Again though, it really depends on DI; against opponents who DI properly, you'll either have to mix up which throws you use or just QD where they will land and try to tech chase.

Commander

Smash Ace
I feel really dumb not knowing about the chain grab. It seems so obvious know.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Also, my favorite thing to do against those floaties that tech correctly against D-throw is to just QD attack them and follow up with Nair juggles. I don't know why, but for me, D-throw is my bread and butter throw cause of that.

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
I like mixing up my opponent's DI by making them think I'm going for fthrow or uthrow combos and then go Dthrow>Bair. The regrab on floaties out of QD will probably work best if you make sure they don't expect, probably by doing a bunch of dthrows first.

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
I think Ike has a pretty reliable chain grab against Browser when around the mid percents with his Forward or Back throw into QDgrab`

metroid1117

Smash Master
I think Ike has a pretty reliable chain grab against Browser when around the mid percents with his Forward or Back throw into QDgrab`
It depends on DI; if you're FThrowing them to the right and they DI right and down, then they'll be able to tech before you can QD grab. Similarly with BThrow, if you BThrow them to the left and they DI left and down, then they'll be able to tech before you can follow up with the grab. However, if you mix up between FThrow and BThrow, you can try tricking them into DI'ing for the wrong throw, but it's not too likely because BThrow has a noticeable animation.

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
Yeah true, and with Bowser's heaviness the throw's increased animation frames give him more time to react

Top Bottom