• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike's offstage game.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
In the neutral, I'm certain that many of you have experienced serious problems against certain characters. They beat you out and wrecked your aerials and never let you attack while they comboed you to death. Sheik and Luigi are the two most notorious culprits. Pikachu, Fox, Mario, and Lucario are also detrimental characters. But at what point does the matchup change in your favor?

Someone here told me that using Counter on Luigi's Green Missile can kill him very early. I've confirmed this at a recent tournament. If you can get him off-stage, does the match truly change in your favor? Luigi has THREE recovery moves that leave him highly susceptible to a Counter. You wouldn't even think of going off-stage against someone like Mario - who has FLUDD and Cape to gimp you quickly. But certain characters, like Luigi, make it more inviting since you're given that advantage.

Take it from someone who mains Sub-Zero in Mortal Kombat. In MK9 and the recent MKX, Sub-Zero is a defensive-oriented character, not unlike Ike. In the neutral, he is not very fast, can't chip with projectiles, is easy to punish, and must conserve his meter. However, his main draw is his Ice Clone. This Ice Clone protects you from damage and can be used to setup approaches, baits, and punishes.

The MOST important part of the Ice Clone is the corner-trap. The MOMENT you get your enemy in the corner with the Ice Clone, no matter who you are fighting, the matchup instantly favors Sub-Zero. Whether they can teleport or armor through your Ice Clone, with the right defense and setups, they may very well never leave the corner. They're stuck in a prison. The Ice Clone will freeze them for a free combo, and you keep them in the corner the entire time.

Well, I'm looking to see if this can be applied with Ike. Things like jab1, jab 2, into dash-grab and other setups to keep someone off the stage as much as possible. Since you have Eruption, that gives you a clear advantage against someone who's trying to Up B onto the ledge, which is most of the roster. The better your timing gets, the more of a threat Ike becomes. Edgeguarding tools, like retreat Nair to keep your enemy from getting back on-stage or simply throwing them back off-stage become cornerstones. Then you have the option to walk-off Fair, walk-off Dair, setup a Bair, Eruption, or even go low and Counter your opponent.

Notice that word I used? Options. Something Ike seems to lack in the neutral. His approaches are limited, projectiles mess with him greatly, Quick Draw is useless for offense, Counter is not good for you while you recover, Eruption isn't useful, and Aether gets you punished. Most of these moves suddenly become more useful the moment your enemy goes offstage. All it takes is a simple jab combo off stage and you're looking at an advantage.

Granted, while any character can have an "advantage" off-stage, I feel Ike excels at this. Starting with Eruption, its his heavy hits, like Fair and Bair, that kill at MUCH lower percentages than the high majority of the roster's aerial attacks. Mario's Bair will never kill you at 80%, but Ike's sure will.

You have to understand that this is still on a character-by-character basis. Sometimes you'll need to stay on the stage and use Eruption or bait them before throwing them back off. Characters like ROB and Donkey Kong have an amazing Dair, and the best players can use this to reverse your momentum and insta-kill you when you try to Aether back on-stage. Interestingly enough, characters like ROB, Duck Hunt, and Olimar put themselves in critical danger the moment they try to recover vertically. Plus Sheik players swear by Bouncing Fish, which is pure Counter-bait.

We can use this thread to post all off-stage strategies, especially the ones that are character-specific.

Last edited:

SoundChow

Smash Apprentice
At early percents I'll usually go for eruption or just read their get-up option and use nair/fair/pivot-grab. I prefer retreating fair/bair to u-smash when reading a roll get-up because of the lower endlag. At around 80 or so I'll try to surprise them with ledge-trump bair, which usually kills them by then. Other ledge-guarding options include walk-off fair/bair and counter on predictable recoveries. My general rule of thumb is eruption when there recovery is slow and predictable (fox, rob, dhd, villager, etc.), counter when the opponent never ledge-snaps (little-mac/ike/DK) or recovers at a really predictable angle
(luigi, ness, pit/greninja side-b, etc.), and ludge-trump bair during kill percents.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
How do you manage a ledge trump bair when you snap the ledge and they fly off, but know it's coming and jump to evade?

SoundChow

Smash Apprentice
How do you manage a ledge trump bair when you snap the ledge and they fly off, but know it's coming and jump to evade?
They usually will try to jump back on stage, so if you predict it you can jump immediately off the ledge and bair them. Ike's ledge trump bair is so fast that it feels almost guaranteed if they don't buffer a ledge option.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
From what I've seen from the Pros and from my own experience, ledge trump B-air works best either if Ike can hit them while they are in lag (you can't immediately perform an action when pushed from the ledge, which I've seen Ike's with good speed abuse this) or as a surprise attack. The first is something you can train yourself to try to master (assuming your reflexes aren't at their peak already) while the second requires you to condition your opponent to not expect you to capitalize on it.

Do we know if there are any character's that ledge trump B-air doesn't work on? I can see it potentially being harder to pull off with smaller targets, but from what I've seen the arc of the trumped character seems to be the same regardless of their size.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Back Air is guaranteed if you do it fast enough and they get trumped.

If you're missing it, you're going too slow.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
How do you guys grab the ledge from the stage so fast?

The only way I can do seem to pull it off is to actually jump off the stage and then toward it again. No clue how you guys are falling directly into the ledge grab.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
How do you guys grab the ledge from the stage so fast?

The only way I can do seem to pull it off is to actually jump off the stage and then toward it again. No clue how you guys are falling directly into the ledge grab.
Ike has to fast-fall the moment he drops off the stage, then grab it. Overall you're going to move the control stick in a Hadoken-esque move. (Quarter-circle, towards the stage as soon as Ike falls off.)

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
Ike has to fast-fall the moment he drops off the stage, then grab it. Overall you're going to move the control stick in a Hadoken-esque move. (Quarter-circle, towards the stage as soon as Ike falls off.)
I'd say it's better to call it more of a half circle backwards(EX Fireball/Shakunetsu motion towards the stage) since that motion takes into account running off the edge. It might be a bit tricky to get the hang of, but it's incredibly useful in a match beyond trump to bair, so it's worth it to learn.

Last edited:

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715
I found it really helpful to have Ike run towards the ledge (holding the directional stick), and then releasing it so that he goes into his sliding animation. You can then do a quarter circle back (towards the ledge, down towards, down), which will seem to cancel his sliding animation into grabbing the ledge. I've gotten ledge trumping down pretty consistently with this, and I'm on the 3DS version.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I want to come back to this thread to further emphasize on how effective Ike's edgeguarding is. At percents beyond 110% (UThrow combo into Fair or Uair), you're better off going for FThrow or BThrow to throw your opponent off-stage. Given your kill options - walk-off Fair, Eruption, walk-off Dair, as well as waiting for your opponent to come back and whack them with UTilt, USmash, or Bair on recovery - your priority is to keep them off-stage. This is doubly true against characters who can beat you in the neutral, such as Luigi and Ness.

For most of the time, retreating Nair (the front-to-back) attack is great for characters who clip the ledge. Whether they get up neutral, attack, or roll behind you, they're vulnerable. That's damage, and a followup. No matter who you're facing, Eruption is the bane of most of the characters, especially Captain Falcon and Rosalina. Walk-off Fair is a fantastic mixup to Eruption. If they catch that, you may even be better off prepping a stage-spike Bair after an airdodge read.

I also forgot to mention that characters, such as Roy and Ness, will hate you greatly for using Counter on their recovery, adding yet another option. Floaty characters with good jumps, such as Sonic and Rosalina, are a bit more problematic. Sonic can mixup Homing Attack with Spring, and the latter doesn't have to be at the lowest point to clip the ledge. Rosalina (and Sonic) can shark you from the bottom of the ledge with Uair, so unless you jump first, Eruption will be countered. In general, it's fairly hard to hit them with a walk-off Fair. Faster fallers tend to be easier to edgeguard.

I feel that learning how to edgeguard a Rosalina will be crucial to being an Ike main. Both Ryo and myself have lost to Neos' Rosalina in Loser's Brackets, and I was knocked out of CEO Winner's by Xaltis'. She's historically not a good matchup, but with proper edgeguarding, a sooner kill is better than a later kill.

vs. Neos at MomoCon back in May. Take note of 10:40.

1) Mixup into grabs. FThrow is used since UThrow and DThrow won't help me here. I want her offstage NOW.
2) Fake-out. Act like you're going for a walk-off Fair and get back on-stage.
3) Wait for the airdodge and likely point of recovery (or rather, where they would not airdodge for the sake of safety) and go for walk-off aerial.

I did not have as much luck on the final match, as Halberd is a bad stage for Ike and I couldn't escape the Luma Uair combos. I would also never pick Delfino against Rosalina today (where Xaltis beat me), and would ban Halberd on her immediately. Rosalina's going to get much momentum on stages you can fly through. The less platforms, the better. If you can fight her on Final Destination and Smashville, you only have directly off-stage to worry about.

Later, I would like to address floaty characters, such as Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede. Rosalina seems to be the "bane", though.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I'd like to add in that you can get a ledge trump by shielding on the ledge and then tilting the control stick towards the ledge. I like this method because you're safe shielding on the ledge potentially covering other ledge options.

When you condition your opponent to expect a ledge trump, they'll have to buffer a ledge option to avoid it. That's when you can mix it up and Usmash which covers roll and jump, while it's less likely they'll get-up attack or ledge get-up because you're standing there shielding. It's almost a 50/50 where you can land a ledge trump Bair or Usmash on stage.

Here's how to "slip edge".

Top Bottom