• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike vs. (true?) floaters.

Monjula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdrianMonjula
3DS FC
5215-1057-8129
So I've only played one of each which were good, but the losses I suffered made me think, how would you deal with ultra floaty characters like Peach and Jiggly?

My biggest issue is that they can move in air quick enough to get out of range of Ike's slow swings in and out of the air, then they move back in to score some pretty solid hits.

Do I just need more practice or do other people have these issues?

Edit: I say 'true' because fighters like Kirby can float, but that's not his specialty.

Last edited:

Ceadda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lethality
3DS FC
2878-9806-5002
I played a very good Peach player named Dark.Pch a little while ago, and from my experience it wasn't an easy match-up for Ike.

MattTheGameFreak

Smash Apprentice
It has been awhile since I've fought either character, but jumping in after them with an aerial attack, following up with Aether if necessary should catch them. It is doubtful that they will avoid both attacks.

Up-air has a ton of attack frames, so it should help too.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Most floaters have good aerial movement speed. That'd never work. Peach is gonna weave in and out of your sword range, you're gonna get bopped if you don't space well.

Gentatsu-

Smash Rookie
NNID
JessJuxtaposed
3DS FC
2079-6864-4769
Keep jiggs at a distance and you should win. Peach... well... that's just a really hard matchup.

Monjula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdrianMonjula
3DS FC
5215-1057-8129
Keep jiggs at a distance and you should win. Peach... well... that's just a really hard matchup.
I don't think that's quite right, because Jiggs is the one who is doing the zoning in this scenario. She can just poke and prod at Ike because he's so slow in comparison, and I feel like in a fight against a smaller character like her, his ground game just doesn't cut it--meanwhile, she has better air control anyway. It's a defensive match for sure, I just need to learn how to time it right against her and probably count her air-hops as best as I can.

critter17

Smash Cadet
NNID
critter17
3DS FC
3780-9491-8023
What I usually like to do against Jiggly is baiting air dodges and once they do that, it's punish time. Jabs are also great anti-air moves, because each jab covers more space than people realize. Don't forget that up-tilt is GREAT for kills in this game, especially against floaties since they die off the top easily.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm surprised you even had a hard time against Jigglypuff. I managed just fine giving her the beating of a lifetime with Ike.

As far as Peach is concerned, yeah I will say she's a tough customer.

RedBeanPorridge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RedBeanPorridge
3DS FC
3823-8771-4471
I don't think that's quite right, because Jiggs is the one who is doing the zoning in this scenario. She can just poke and prod at Ike because he's so slow in comparison
I'm a jiggly player and I do this to every ike I see. His general slowness usually gives me time to either roll, spot-dodge, or shield then grab when I'm on the ground. Then I just go back to poking and prodding.

And my peach is usually pressuring with turnips and floating dairs.

Top Bottom