• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Tech Nuances

Y-L

Smash Champion
What kind of tech nuances do you guys use?
Here's some that I made which is QD->reverse WD->edgehog and some ledge mindgames shown here: http://youtu.be/ejplT3a_ysY.

What about you guys? Got any interesting small things you guys do?

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
I had never thought of doing that before. I just never edgehogged because I thought I couldn't get there fast enough. I'm totally working that into my matches now. Most of the stuff I do with QD is just regrab stuff. One of my favorite things is to tech chase an opponent on a platform with up smash out of QD but I don' know how nuanced any of this is. I do know after a n fthrow you can immediately QD>regrab without changing direction if they DI badly and don't go too far. Its easy against big characters.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I had never thought of doing that before. I just never edgehogged because I thought I couldn't get there fast enough. I'm totally working that into my matches now. Most of the stuff I do with QD is just regrab stuff. One of my favorite things is to tech chase an opponent on a platform with up smash out of QD but I don' know how nuanced any of this is. I do know after a n fthrow you can immediately QD>regrab without changing direction if they DI badly and don't go too far. Its easy against big characters.
Even if QD reverse WD is unsafe you can just QD reverse SH and grab ledge like that. If you're standing facing the ledge you can run off and do a quick QD towards the ledge.

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
Here are some QD tricks that I found back in 2.0; it's a very old video, but all of those tricks still apply today. Other things that I do are reverse BAir and UThrow -> reverse BAir at low %s.

Something that I've been trying out (after seeing Magus do it back in 2.1 lol) is edgehop QD'ing such that you transition from aerial QD into grounded QD; this lets you do interesting things like edgehop QD -> pivot grab or edgehop QD -> wavedash.

Even if QD reverse WD is unsafe you can just QD reverse SH and grab ledge like that. If you're standing facing the ledge you can run off and do a quick QD towards the ledge.
I usually opt for QD RAR short-hop instead of QD RAR wavedash, since it covers more distance. It's also good because you can either grab the edge or feint and drop down low with a BAir or DAir instead.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Other things that I do are reverse BAir and UThrow -> reverse BAir at low %s.
I've been wanting to incorporate more fthrow QD reverse bair into my gameplay what percents does that work at? And are you just talking about uthrow to bair? I know that works at low percents on a lot of characters.

Something that I've been trying out (after seeing Magus do it back in 2.1 lol) is edgehop QD'ing such that you transition from aerial QD into grounded QD; this lets you do interesting things like edgehop QD -> pivot grab or edgehop QD -> wavedash.
How is that effective? It seems like the time it takes to actually fall to the ground, albeit minimal, is too much time to not get punished.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I've been wanting to incorporate more fthrow QD reverse bair into my gameplay what percents does that work at? And are you just talking about uthrow to bair? I know that works at low percents on a lot of characters.
I was talking about reverse BAir, in which you hit the opponent with the area around Ike's face; it works pretty well against people who DI away on QD attack and NAir at mid %s. You can do something similar out of UThrow at low %s, although I think it might be more profitable to use UAir instead. As for FThrow -> QD -> RAR BAir, it works best on floatier characters at mid to high %s but it shouldn't work if they DI properly. You can try mixing up the opponent's DI by using BThrow and DThrow, but in general, it's hard to trick the opponent if they always DI the FThrow away and down because all of Ike's other throws are relatively easy to react to.

How is that effective? It seems like the time it takes to actually fall to the ground, albeit minimal, is too much time to not get punished.
I'll post a video about it sometime this week, but it's (very) vaguely similar to how Falco drops down below the stage when edgehopping lasers; you want to let go of the edge and drop low enough such that when you jump and QD, you'll start out in the air but then land on the stage while moving forward, thus opening up grounded QD options. I have yet to actually try it out on an actual opponent, but it seems like it'd be good as a mix-up once in a while since you can either QD attack (which forces the opponent to shield or stand away from the edge) or wavedash onto the very edge of the stage after you land.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I was talking about reverse BAir, in which you hit the opponent with the area around Ike's face; it works pretty well against people who DI away on QD attack and NAir at mid %s. You can do something similar out of UThrow at low %s, although I think it might be more profitable to use UAir instead. As for FThrow -> QD -> RAR BAir, it works best on floatier characters at mid to high %s but it shouldn't work if they DI properly. You can try mixing up the opponent's DI by using BThrow and DThrow, but in general, it's hard to trick the opponent if they always DI the FThrow away and down because all of Ike's other throws are relatively easy to react to.

I'll post a video about it sometime this week, but it's (very) vaguely similar to how Falco drops down below the stage when edgehopping lasers; you want to let go of the edge and drop low enough such that when you jump and QD, you'll start out in the air but then land on the stage while moving forward, thus opening up grounded QD options. I have yet to actually try it out on an actual opponent, but it seems like it'd be good as a mix-up once in a while since you can either QD attack (which forces the opponent to shield or stand away from the edge) or wavedash onto the very edge of the stage after you land.
Wow that nair/QD attack to bair to fair is amazing.

Emland

Smash Rookie
Metroid1117:Something that I've been trying out (after seeing Magus do it back in 2.1 lol) is edgehop QD'ing such that you transition from aerial QD into grounded QD; this lets you do interesting things like edgehop QD -> pivot grab or edgehop QD -> wavedash
I have been thinking of doing that as well. I haven't got it down at all yet but I was thinking about the options and I have been trying to get it off in battle. I am looking forward to that video. ^_^

Last edited:

Emland

Smash Rookie
Also I was wondering your opinion on this: I sometimes do QD -> wall jump -> B-reverse Eruption along with other techniques while arriving back on stage and use it as a mix-up option with appropriate reads. One somewhat useful application of this was against a Lucas player. The Lucas player down smashed with the additional Lucas power charge. There were two occurrences of the down smash with hit boxes one after the other with the charge and the Eruption armor protected me from both occurrences of the attack. The result was awesome but I believe that I nevertheless received the damage (no knockback) so I suppose the trade off wasn't worth it. However this is just an idea stimulator on the use and I would like replies :) .

Last edited:

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering... how hard is it to b-reverse the counter? Is it even possible to mix up the QD Wall jump with a B reversed counter? I haven't practiced Ike much but its quite difficult for me to get the QD B-rev eruption that Emland is talking about... i'll be practicing it though starting now :D

and seeing how I'm done with GnW in PM I kinda need to practice up on Ike :X

Last edited:

metroid1117

Smash Master
Also I was wondering your opinion on this: I sometimes do QD -> wall jump -> B-reverse Eruption along with other techniques while arriving back on stage and use it as a mix-up option with appropriate reads. One somewhat useful application of this was against a Lucas player. The Lucas player down smashed with the additional Lucas power charge. There were two occurrences of the down smash with hit boxes one after the other with the charge and the Eruption armor protected me from both occurrences of the attack. The result was awesome but I believe that I nevertheless received the damage (no knockback) so I suppose the trade off wasn't worth it. However this is just an idea simulator on the use and I would like replies :) .
If you're close enough to the stage such that you can B-reverse Eruption to get back and the opponent is close enough to the edge, it sounds like you might be able to hit them with BAir immediately after the wall-jump, which is faster than Eruption. It'd be even better if you still have your double-jump, since you'd be able to jump onto the stage while BAir'ing. I'm not sure how practical B-reverse Eruption would be though, since if you mess up you die and if you do it properly, it's easy to punish if you whiff and the reward of hitting the opponent might result in you taking some damage.

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
I like B reverse as an option when you don't have a double jump, albeit a risky option that you should probably only use once a match or set.

Emland

Smash Rookie
If you're close enough to the stage such that you can B-reverse Eruption to get back and the opponent is close enough to the edge, it sounds like you might be able to hit them with BAir immediately after the wall-jump, which is faster than Eruption. It'd be even better if you still have your double-jump, since you'd be able to jump onto the stage while BAir'ing. I'm not sure how practical B-reverse Eruption would be though, since if you mess up you die and if you do it properly, it's easy to punish if you whiff and the reward of hitting the opponent might result in you taking some damage.
Yeah I figured. I use bair more often for the reason that it is faster and less punishable. I like trying out new ideas though :)

Commander

Smash Ace
I forgot about this nuance when this thread was posted. You can ledge cancel Quick Draw a lot like how Falco ledge cancels his side b to fly around battlefield. The problem is that QD has a variable distance and speed so it is a very unreliable thing to go for.

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
Ok. So something I go for a lot is off SH off stage to soft dair followed up by nair. It knocks out 2nd jumps for gimps a lot. Does anyone else do that?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Ok. So something I go for a lot is off SH off stage to soft dair followed up by nair. It knocks out 2nd jumps for gimps a lot. Does anyone else do that?
Haven't thought of following up the dair with a nair, cool!

Emland

Smash Rookie
I have done it very few times but I have seen Metroid1117 do it several times in a few videos. It covers a lot of below stage recovery attempts and can be great as an edge-guard option just be mindful as always

EDIT: I assumed you said bair but you said nair. Metroid uses bair as the follow up in the mentioned videos but the same precautions hold in terms of stage control. Bair works better in gimping unless you can use the end hitbox. Nair may cover some other options though

Last edited:

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
I have done it very few times but I have seen Metroid1117 do it several times in a few videos. It covers a lot of below stage recovery attempts and can be great as an edge-guard option just be mindful as always
Ya it doesn't always work. You have to read the opponent well otherwise you just give up stage control and they can edgeguard you.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I'd prefer BAir, since NAir tends to send opponent's upward. It's really good if you set it up by QD RAR'ing to the edge, since you can either go for the edgehog if they try to sweetspot or DAir and fastfall on top of them.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Bumping because I haven't really seen this discussed before, but against people who DI in on F/BThrows (or large characters at low %s), you can run up to them, cancel the run with a crouch, jab, and then re-grab. It's kinda tricky because you can't cancel your dash animation (the short time frame in which you can dash dance) with a crouch but you can crouch out of a run, so if you do the crouch -> jab too early you'll most likely dash attack instead. To reiterate though, this works best on fat characters who don't get sent far enough from F/BThrow even with good DI.

By the way, it's worth noting that I totally ripped this off of Strong Bad lol.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
What kind of tech nuances do you guys use?
Here's some that I made which is QD->reverse WD->edgehog and some ledge mindgames shown here: http://youtu.be/ejplT3a_ysY.

What about you guys? Got any interesting small things you guys do?
Beyond that you can just do an aerial instead of grabbin it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s5-Rf6Em-Y&index=10&list=PLovBMkMLex7xhb2XjvWL1l40KnxhgwIrN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_hXwM9fM5I this was gonna be pretty good but I didn't give enough space for the F-smash. You can see I try to break out of things with Up-air

People might not go for his d-tilt edgeguard enough, if you get the hilt it spikes

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As-o2YYQSBI#t=14
While I definitely miss spamming the old one, I think the hilt is still just big enough to kind of consistently get on certain characters. I wonder how it compares in terms of spike power vs Dair or the Neutral-b spike or Pit/Link's d-tilt spike.

Last edited:

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
Beyond that you can just do an aerial instead of grabbin it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s5-Rf6Em-Y&index=10&list=PLovBMkMLex7xhb2XjvWL1l40KnxhgwIrN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_hXwM9fM5I this was gonna be pretty good but I didn't give enough space for the F-smash. You can see I try to break out of things with Up-air

People might not go for his d-tilt edgeguard enough, if you get the hilt it spikes
I'm pretty sure it's a meteor smash along with his neutral B. That's why I don't use it.

Commander

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure it's a meteor smash along with his neutral B. That's why I don't use it.
It's a spike at the hilt and a meteor at the blade. You have to hit with the bottom part so it requires some timing. It is good against predictable recoveries and recoveries that have a tendency to go a little above the ledge like the Mario Brothers, Sonic, Falcon, Spacies going straight up, etc..

KariteSama

Smash Apprentice
It's a spike at the hilt and a meteor at the blade. You have to hit with the bottom part so it requires some timing. It is good against predictable recoveries and recoveries that have a tendency to go a little above the ledge like the Mario Brothers, Sonic, Falcon, Spacies going straight up, etc..
I had no idea! That's pretty cool. I need to try it out.

Commander

Smash Ace
I had no idea! That's pretty cool. I need to try it out.
I didn't notice you brought up the neutral special too. My previous post was about the dtilt only. Eruption is a pike at the tip and you have to hit with just the tip. The rest of eruption sends opponents up.

Top Bottom