• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Impressions from World Hobby Fair 2008

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
This thread is for all the Ike-specific info that's been coming out of the event they're holding over in Japan right now. If I find out more I will update accordingly.

Mainly making this so that people will stop making fifty different threads about different moves and such, and also so that everyone still following what Ike was like at E4All can let that go, he's changed since then.

Day 3 (all info from Curbside_Prophet, talks about Ike's attacks):

- Curbside says that Ike is more agile than Ganondorf, but their attacking style is similar and thus the comparison.

- Ike's standard combo and Quick Draw are two of his fastest moves.

- Ike's running attack and tilts appeared to be Melee Link speed.

- Eruption is similar to Marth/Roy's Shield Breaker/Flare Blade. He believes it is stronger uncharged than their Neutral B is, It killed at the 90%-110% uncharged. Good move to use to get space from the opponent (he says Ike needs space to do his thing), and could be a useful edgeguard.

- Quick Draw seems to be good for catching opponents with a quick attack, and for the set up of combos. Also a good recovery move.

- He forgot Ike had Counter and thus didn't use it, he apologized. :laugh:

- Used Aether to try and finish off opponents. Fast and has good knockback, but little to no horizontal control.

- Standard combo is a punch, kick, sword strike. He says he liked the move and it was good for getting an opponent off Ike. The punch stuns, the kick and sword strike knocks them back.

- Side Tilt is a horizontal swing akin to Marth, as with most of Ike's moves has strong knockback.

- Forward Smash is a massive vertical attack, has very good knockback uncharged.

- Down Tilt is a lot like Link's.

- Down Smash is similar to Marth's, but not as quick.

- Running A he's not sure on, but he remembers it being a massive upward swing.

- Down Air is like Link's, he's not sure on damage or lag after the attack.

- Up Air is a large overhead swing, wide range like most of Ike's sword attacks.

- Most to all of Ike's attacks have huge range, and can hit a lot of people at once. Most of his attacks are a bit slow but pretty much every one has strong knockback.

- Great Aether has massive knockback and can hit multiple opponents.

- He describes Ike as Ganondorf-esque, says people used to Marth and Link would have to adjust a bit. He also says he seems like what Dante from DMC would feel like if he were in Smash. :laugh:

- Says Ike seemed to win a lot of matches but it could be because of his kill stealing potential.

Day 2:

- Japanese players are putting Ike's speed and playstyle as similar to Ganondorf, or a Marth/Roy combination.

- According to Curbside_Prophet who was at the event, Ike's Eruption is very powerful and can kill with little to no charging. It also seems to have a lot more range than previously thought and can be used in the air.

- Charizard apparently got rocked by Ike. Minor, but funny. :laugh:

Day 1 (mainly impressions from I.T.P.):

- IKE NO LONGER HAS "INVISIBLE LAG". In caps so people will read and comprehend this.

- Ike's slow, but kills far easier than anyone else. He kills in the 90-100% range (or lower, depening on the character) while others kill at 150% or higher.

- Eruption (Neutral B) works exactly like Marth and Roy's Shield Breaker/Flare Blade, but is much more powerful.

- Ike's aerials are very slow, except for his air Up + A apparently. Up + A is supposedly quite strong and decently fast.

- Aether (Up + B) is hard to use for recovery (completely vertical like Luigi's Up + B) but is very fast and drags opponents down with Ike. You can spike people with it too.

- Quick Draw (Side + B) works well as a recovery, it appears to have gotten increased range for that purpose. It is also very strong, can kill light characters such as Kirby/Meta Knight at 35%. It comes out as fast as Fox/Falco's Side + B, and Ike can't do anything afterwards unless it hits something.

- Ike's Smash Attacks and tilts have amazing power.

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
ike seem's decent now but i feel sorry for kirby and metaknight players :(

I guessing ike will be an average character, and mabey in mid tier

I guess theirs gonna be alot of ike players online XD i better train with link alot if imma beat them XD.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
lol, i cant wait to use the quick draw on my friends that only use kirby.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Great info!!!

Thanks so much for posting man. Brings new hope that Ike might not be the worst lol

Redragon

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
thxs for making this i was planning to make it but im lazy ill be viewing the whobby thread too so ill help u out

it doesnt matter if quick draw it fully of not ike can do another tilt and do side b then ko his power truly is amazing and i f***** love it

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
Dang... Ike is sounding sweet, I normally use Roy and Link, but I'm not bad with ganondorf so this sounds pretty good. especially the combo, and eruption.

TheJalapeno

Smash Ace
Ike was a beast at E4A don't know how much has changed, but it sounds like they buffed the quick draw. When I used it, it wasn't THAT great, good though.. I don't know...

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
well by what u told me it sounds like
-quick draw for lights
-aether for mids
-eruption on heavies
his f tilt and smash will be cercumstanial
im interested in his d tilt as in the tracectory of the hit, if its like links then it can spike combined with SAF it will be a good edguard
ikes nair looks like marths dair so im hoping its a spike not a meteor
uair good for KOs nomatter who bc there already half way to getting KOd pending on the stg
his u smash...lol i dont think i need to say anything lol

its also said by curb that quick draws rng has be increased for recovery this is good
aether can still be great for recovery but only when ur close to the stg (which is very close), the new air dodge will help ike a lot

knock off stg too far for aether but to low for quick draw so now we jump up air dodge momentum which leads to ike going up again and now charge side B

seems like it would work
also if ike has a clear shot to get back then he will make it b/c if they get in the way of aether then there retarted, arieal side b supposedy spikes like falcos and thats suicide for u and enemy the only thing is long range like samus's missiles
from vids it looks like he has a little above decent jump hight
diffrence from ikes decent recover to great recovery is side b doest cause auto free fall but this wont happen b/c of balancing issuses

ike is
very powerful by far
great range
good b moves
a counter
good grab range
is heavy
SAF
this is good and bad but he falls slowly but not like marth
has a disinjointed hitbox
may have slow airs but has more rng then all other chracters
looks to be a good edgeguarder

now bad stuff
has pre and post lag on most atks
is supposedly speed combination of roy and ganon
cercumstanial recovery
a fairly large target
nothing said yet but he might be easy to combo

this is what i have collected bout ike if anyone disagrees or can add to this answers r encouraged
alpha dragoon im on a slow internet and on my wii this took me about 20 mins so could u ask in the whobby thread or curb about ikes grab, i havent heard a thing bout them they will play a vital role in 1 on 1's (which i plan to use ike) to set up for devastating KO's
if u could ask about them it would be greatly appreciated

thxs for anyone who took the tike to read this :)

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
well by what u told me it sounds like
-quick draw for lights
-aether for mids
-eruption on heavies
his f tilt and smash will be cercumstanial
im interested in his d tilt as in the tracectory of the hit, if its like links then it can spike combined with SAF it will be a good edguard
ikes nair looks like marths dair so im hoping its a spike not a meteor
uair good for KOs nomatter who bc there already half way to getting KOd pending on the stg
his u smash...lol i dont think i need to say anything lol

its also said by curb that quick draws rng has be increased for recovery this is good
aether can still be great for recovery but only when ur close to the stg (which is very close), the new air dodge will help ike a lot

knock off stg too far for aether but to low for quick draw so now we jump up air dodge momentum which leads to ike going up again and now charge side B

seems like it would work
also if ike has a clear shot to get back then he will make it b/c if they get in the way of aether then there retarted, arieal side b supposedy spikes like falcos and thats suicide for u and enemy the only thing is long range like samus's missiles
from vids it looks like he has a little above decent jump hight
diffrence from ikes decent recover to great recovery is side b doest cause auto free fall but this wont happen b/c of balancing issuses

ike is
very powerful by far
great range
good b moves
a counter
good grab range
is heavy
SAF
this is good and bad but he falls slowly but not like marth
has a disinjointed hitbox
may have slow airs but has more rng then all other chracters
looks to be a good edgeguarder

now bad stuff
has pre and post lag on most atks
is supposedly speed combination of roy and ganon
cercumstanial recovery
a fairly large target
nothing said yet but he might be easy to combo

this is what i have collected bout ike if anyone disagrees or can add to this answers r encouraged
alpha dragoon im on a slow internet and on my wii this took me about 20 mins so could u ask in the whobby thread or curb about ikes grab, i havent heard a thing bout them they will play a vital role in 1 on 1's (which i plan to use ike) to set up for devastating KO's
if u could ask about them it would be greatly appreciated

thxs for anyone who took the tike to read this :)
nice and thanks.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
One minor thing to clarify, there's only lag from the actual animation of the attacks. So it's likely that either the pre or the post lag no longer exists.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
you know what i really like that the sword stoke takes long, its like roys f smash the swing took longer

heres EX: fox has a short back roll, ike caught fox close to him ike f smash fox back rolls but b/c of ragnells range and how slow the sword stroke is fox gets owned

is that what ur trying to say dragoon?

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
AlphaDragon2002...you are my hero.

Also, I feel like a complete ****ing noob, but what was his "invisible lag" during E4All? I really can't remember. I know it's gone now, but I'm just a little lost.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
AlphaDragon2002...you are my hero.

Also, I feel like a complete ****ing noob, but what was his "invisible lag" during E4All? I really can't remember. I know it's gone now, but I'm just a little lost.
Basically it's like this.

Hit button
Ike does nothing
Ike does the action

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Wow, I was wondering what that Invis Lag was too and I'm sure glad they fixed it or I may never get used to Ike's playstyle.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
Finally we got someone who put down what ive been saying all along. If you thought sakurai would let there be a crap character, i dont know why you lived under a rock for so long. But ya, Ike ftw!

Top Bottom