• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Help

dkellyukatu

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone. I'm a little new to the whole competitive(or even improving) smash situation. I'm looking for any and all constructive criticism if anyone would like. I've watched a few videos of Ryo playing and a few Zero videos about fundamentals and I'm trying to apply these skills. I understand the combo starters but as you can see I'm having a little trouble continuing combos. Anyways, I'd be grateful for anyone willing to help or even play some friendlies (or even want to laugh at my terrible losses). Thanks in advance!

This video is a little early in my training so there's not much fundamentals here

My most recent loss. I'm trying to incorporate the short hop Nair setup and practice reads mostly in this vid.

I'm not even going to lie to you I have no clue what ya boi was doing in this video :denzel:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
dkellyukatu dkellyukatu For the first video, with Zelda, you started off strong. However you tried to do a traditional edge guard against Zelda. Never fail to recognize a character's unique recover options. Characters like Zelda, Fox, Wolf, Bayonetta, etc... with often try to recover on stage either behind you, through you, or directly on you. Be fully aware of these sorts of recovery options, even expect them as their standard option. So either stay in shield, or put some space between you and the edge, or do anything but leave yourself open for an attack.

After that edge guarding error, your advantage quickly fell apart because you tried to be way too aggressive with your recovery options. There were multiple times when you should have done a normal get up from ledge, but instead chose to jump onto the stage. The over-aggression made you vulnerable with your recovery just as it did in your edgeguarding.

I suggest experimenting with normal get ups so you know when it's optimal to use them. Also use shield, counters, pivot attacks/grabs to deal with opponents who can actually use aggressive recoveries on you.

-----

As for your second video, with Roy, my main criticism is your use of wasted movement/attacks. For example, beginning a jab sequence when your opponent is nowhere near you. It's one thing to use it to bait out an option, but I'd recommend being more conscious about trying to stop the jab sequence if it looks like i's going to be fruitless. In this case, you could have stopped after the first 1-2 jabs and did a quick bair. Throwning out weird stuff is good in general though, it keeps the opponents guessing. Just make sure you practice being able to cancel an unnecessary string and change it up when appropriate. In both of the first 2 videos though, I love your on-stage dair skills though. They are a thing of beauty. Btw you seem to be fishing way too hard for those counters, but I respect that. Eventually if you spam it enough you will gain an intuitive sense of when to use them. There's really no way to teach someone when to counter, but with enough practice you will know when not to counter, and I personally believe that will leave you far more skilled than someone not willing to make mistakes. That method will take a long time, and a lot of practice though.

-----

Video 3. At 1:50 you FINALLY have the perfect time to counter, but airdodge instead. And again at 2:03

Last edited:

dkellyukatu

Smash Rookie
dkellyukatu dkellyukatu For the first video, with Zelda, you started off strong. However you tried to do a traditional edge guard against Zelda. Never fail to recognize a character's unique recover options. Characters like Zelda, Fox, Wolf, Bayonetta, etc... with often try to recover on stage either behind you, through you, or directly on you. Be fully aware of these sorts of recovery options, even expect them as their standard option. So either stay in shield, or put some space between you and the edge, or do anything but leave yourself open for an attack.

After that edge guarding error, your advantage quickly fell apart because you tried to be way too aggressive with your recovery options. There were multiple times when you should have done a normal get up from ledge, but instead chose to jump onto the stage. The over-aggression made you vulnerable with your recovery just as it did in your edgeguarding.

I suggest experimenting with normal get ups so you know when it's optimal to use them. Also use shield, counters, pivot attacks/grabs to deal with opponents who can actually use aggressive recoveries on you.

-----

As for your second video, with Roy, my main criticism is your use of wasted movement/attacks. For example, beginning a jab sequence when your opponent is nowhere near you. It's one thing to use it to bait out an option, but I'd recommend being more conscious about trying to stop the jab sequence if it looks like i's going to be fruitless. In this case, you could have stopped after the first 1-2 jabs and did a quick bair. Throwning out weird stuff is good in general though, it keeps the opponents guessing. Just make sure you practice being able to cancel an unnecessary string and change it up when appropriate. In both of the first 2 videos though, I love your on-stage dair skills though. They are a thing of beauty. Btw you seem to be fishing way too hard for those counters, but I respect that. Eventually if you spam it enough you will gain an intuitive sense of when to use them. There's really no way to teach someone when to counter, but with enough practice you will know when not to counter, and I personally believe that will leave you far more skilled than someone not willing to make mistakes. That method will take a long time, and a lot of practice though.

-----

Video 3. At 1:50 you FINALLY have the perfect time to counter, but airdodge instead. And again at 2:03
Hey first thing thanks for the criticism I really appreciate it!

Secondly I definitely need to diversify my edge guarding options. I had a lot of success with the neutral b and kind of stuck with it. Rewatching it a few times definitely showed me how aggressive I was mistakenly and Zelda was able to take advantage. I have trouble deciding when to be and when not to be aggressive. I kind of assumed that the general game plan with Ike was to space and be aggressive

I also didn’t know you could cancel Jab strings so that is extremely helpful for baiting.

Top Bottom