• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike for gamestop tourney

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
Is Ike the most suitable character for the tourney? He looks pretty suitable considering he has many kill move IMO

1 minute math with items. From what i've heard no sudden death.

Any other contenders for most useful character (DDD, other characters with strong knock back, our melee mains( i mained peach,)etc.)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Is Ike the most suitable character for the tourney? He looks pretty suitable considering he has many kill move IMO

Any other contenders for most useful character (DDD, other characters with strong knock back, our melee mains( i mained peach,)etc.)

1 minute math?!?!? how many problems per minute? which difficulty, calculus?

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad my #1 main is not only a starter but also the most recommended character to play with for the tourney. :D It kinda sucks though, since I'm not 18 yet my dad has to come with me to sign the registration form tomorrow. oh well, I think I may be the first to sign up since the gamestop guy said I was the first to mention the tourney.

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
I was asking the same thing a few days ago. People told me he was too slow and laggy to start with but im kinda used to that with gannondorf from meele. Also I felt like at this time in brawls history more is know about ike then any other charicter so its easy to do reaserch on him to see how he plays. But if Falco is available from the start then ill pick him.

Zink

Smash Champion
OK guys here's some tips from the brawl disc thread. Most credit to MookieRah.
1. If they don't tech, punish.
2. If they consistently roll in one direction, punish.
3. See if you can get away with aetherstall on the edge.
4. If you see them charge a move, any move, Counter.
5. Even if you've never played Brawl before (like me lol) try to reach into the bag of tricks- RAR, hyphen-smashing, dash-cancelled grab, abuse SAF, whiffed QD.
6. Punish with fsmash, or usmash if they are above you.
7. Get the smash ball if it's available and use it ASAP you are in range. Look up one of the Ike moveset vids to see the range (it's bigger than a regular attack).
8. Try to publicly pwn the first guy you play so everyone fears you.
9. Play to win.

Zukaza

Smash Apprentice

My advice to you is to pick the character that best compliments your playing style. There is a reason why there are so many characters. If you think you have a quick game, any of the fast but weak characters can do you good. If you think that heavy and strong characters are your style. Make sure you can make up for their slow maneuvering with efficient and well timed attacks, other wise your a punching bag out there. Ike will be my main for sure, my style is to play a little mind games with my opponent, weaving in and out, dishing out some damage. I then wait for him to make a mistake and "PUNISH" him for it. Then again almost everyone plays like that.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
Just because he has super awesome moves doesnt mean you HAVE to play as him... Every character is balanced with each other. By the looks of it im seeing 80% people are going to play ike at the tourny just because hes "good". Hes not any better than any other character, you just have to learn to use them. O, and if you didnt support ike from the MOMENT you saw him, through the e4all crisis, and you thought he was "slow" or sucked at ANY time since he was announced you have not earned the right to play as him.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
O, and if you didnt support ike from the MOMENT you saw him, through the e4all crisis, and you thought he was "slow" or sucked at ANY time since he was announced you have not earned the right to play as him.
sorry to break it to you, but you're a ******

Terradrius

Smash Apprentice
Just because he has super awesome moves doesnt mean you HAVE to play as him... Every character is balanced with each other. By the looks of it im seeing 80% people are going to play ike at the tourny just because hes "good". Hes not any better than any other character, you just have to learn to use them.
No, many people (on Smashboards) are going to use him because the matches of the first round in the Gamestop tournament are one minute matches, and Ike, unlike many others, can regularly get kills within that time period, not to mention being heavy enough not to die in one minute.

O, and if you didnt support ike from the MOMENT you saw him, through the e4all crisis, and you thought he was "slow" or sucked at ANY time since he was announced you have not earned the right to play as him.
HAHAHAHAHAHA........... no. Just because you think you're Ike's #1 fanboy doesn't mean that everyone else has to worship him as a god in order to "earn" the right to play as him.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
I can't decide who to use for the tourney. I've narrowed it down to Lucas, DDD, or Ike. DDD has great power and recovery, however not enough reach. Ike is just sick, but his recovery skills seem like crap in my opinion. So I guess my question is does Ike have a good enough recovery to use in the tourney?

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
I can't decide who to use for the tourney. I've narrowed it down to Lucas, DDD, or Ike. DDD has great power and recovery, however not enough reach. Ike is just sick, but his recovery skills seem like crap in my opinion. So I guess my question is does Ike have a good enough recovery to use in the tourney?
Yes, considering he shouldn't get knocked out far unless he's been living on borrowed time for a while (I usually consider that 170% and above), his recovery's usually pretty good for the circumstances... you'll just want to avoid being hit at an exceedingly horizontal angle without height, since though Up-B can save you, you might be hit a bit too far out for it to spot the ledge.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I was going to go Mario considering he's my main but seeing how this isn't a standard tournament and is only a minute...I'm probably going to pick Ike because
1) In 1 min I don't think Ike is going to be knocked off that bad
2) Ike is strong
3) the people aren't exactly top playing pros so they will make many mistakes for Ike to destroy
4) Ike is strong
5) Items are on...not that it matters...seeing how the match is a minute long
---
Yeah...did I mention Ike is strong?

Zonic100

Smash Cadet
Woah items are on eh? Well it IS hosted by nintendo.

I think I'm gonna use Pit, but hearing this Ike talk is interesting. >.>

Top Bottom