• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you were in charge of creating the roster, what would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
*THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE GAMES ROSTER*

There's plenty of roster wish-list threads, but this one is different, how? Well, you have to create a roster that you believe would be best for the game, NOT personal preference. You have to take in account what the casual player, hardcore fans, and critics want. Also state your reasons too, don't just post a roster and be done, explain yourself! So what would the perfect roster look like?​

udime123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3497-1825-3744
Alright, here goes:
Veterans:
Mario, Luigi, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Pikachu, Kirby, Fox, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Bowsee Jr., Wario, Game and Watch, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Shiek, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Zero Suit, Pit, Palutena, Marth, Ike, Robin, Dedede, Meta Knight, Little Mac, Falco, Charizard, Lucario, R.O.B, Olimar, Dr. Mario, Shulk, Megaman, Sonic, Mii

Newcomers:
Fawful, Chrom, Slippy, Porky, Louie, Bomberman, Isaac, Dillon, Takamaru, Starfy, Mashtooth,

I think that's all, but I might think of other changes later.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Basically just staple on Ice Climbers, Snake, Isaac, Professor Layton, and possibly Bayonetta onto the current Smash 4 roster and we're good.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Veterans: Every vet in the current roster except for Dr.Mario. Add in The Ice Climbers to take his spot. Bring back Lucas, Wolf, and Snake. (I'm also including Mewtwo in this current roster)

Newcomers: All the ones we have now except for Dark Pit.
Add in Rayman, Wonder Red, Sami, Isaac, Eternal Darkness rep, King K Rool, Dixie, Impa based on Hyrule Warriors, Takamaru, Sin and Punishment rep, and Professor Layton/Bayonetta/Shantae. (balance out the guests with "man" in their name and the ones that don't have "man" in their name)

Changes: Dr. Mario is a costume.
Dark Pit is a costume.
Dark Pit's forward special is a custom move for Pit.
Add in some "other character" costumes for other playable characters. (Example: Protoman on Mega Man)

My rooster is generic. Lol

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well id mostly add characters from some of nintendo's lesser franchises there the place to go for plenty of potential unique fighters

Blade Knight

Smash Ace

Working with what's already in the game, this is all the difference there would be. Look at how nice and clean that CSS is. Proto Man would be an alt costume for Mega Man and Mega Man would probably have gotten more special moves than anybody else because he could pull multiple entire movesets off, so limiting him to 12 just seems too restrictive.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
keep everyone from brawl besides :ivysaur: and :squirtle:; possibly :snake: if there are issues... :pt: is kept as an optional thing for all of the pokes

for the newcomers, i'd keep: :4bowserjr:,:4littlemac:,:4megaman:, :4mii: (as a single character with a nintendoland moveset),:4shulk:,:4palutena:,:4pacman:.

i'd probably never have considered :4wiifit:,:4villager: and :4duckhunt: due to unfamiliarity with their games. they suck; but i think they are justified choices; i'd just ignore then if sakurai didn't add then. My go-to retor rep,, would've been the Excitebiker.

as for the others, i'd put in Blaziken over :4greninja: (to advertise for ORAS and have someone who can actually Mega Evolve), toad over :rosalina: (y'know, someone actually relevant to Mario as a whole), Chrom over :4robinm: (the protagonist over the deutoragonist).

as for alts who could be made into clones, i'd probably en up with :4darkpit: and :4drmario: anyways, but i'd have picked :4alph: over :4lucina: (who wouldn't be in the game unelss Chrom's moveset had Robin as something other than a Finals Smash

i'd put Dixie and K.Rool in there too, possibly Ridley.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly? It'd be similar but not QUITE the same:

Mario franchise:
:4mario::4peach::4bowser::4bowserjr:
Standard affair. I too would have made sure to shoehorn the Koopalings into Bowser Jr, since I'd pick :4ludwig: over him at any given chance. Doc would be alt for Mario, no damns would be given about FLUDD and fireballs.

Mario Spinoffs:
:4yoshi::4wario2::4luigi: and Captain Toad.
Luigi gets to rep his own Mansion games like Nintendoland does with him, and Captain Toad before Doc.

DK series:
:4dk::4diddy:and Dixie Kong
Standard, and Dixie's one of the few female characters that's always been kickass. Funky an alt for DK.

Legend of Zelda series:
:4link::4zelda::4ganondorf:
Impa and Vaati.

Pretty similar, but Impa replacing Shiek due to being a major reoccurring individual, and Vaati replacing Toon Link as the Toon rep so we don't get multiples of the same character.

Pokemon series:
:4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario:
Meowth and Blaziken
Jigglypuff wouldn't have been the anime character I'd of included honestly. Blaziken's a popular Pokemon from the third gen.

Kirby series:
:4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight:
Bandana Dee

On the Dee bandwagon. Between Dee, Impa and Toad I clearly just like royal guards.

Metroid series:
:4samus:
and Ridley
One hero, one villain. Dark Samus and Meta Ridley alts respectively.

Starfox series:
:4fox::wolf:

One hero, one villain. Slippy and Falco alts for Fox. Leon and Panther alts for Wolf.

Fire Emblem series:
:4myfriends::4marth::4robinm::roypm:

No cuts, thanks. Even if that meant two Roys.
Female Robin would still be an option, Lucina would just be a Marth alt with a name change. I'd prioritise fire blade over Lucina's 'balanced' moveset.

Kid Icarus series:
:4pit:
and Medusa.

One hero, one villain. Dark Pit an alt for Pit.

F-Zero series:
:4falcon:and Samurai Goroh.
One hero, one villain. Blood Falcon an alt for Falcon.

Mother series:
:4ness: and Porky.
One hero, one villain. Ninten and Lucas would be Ness alts.

Animal Crossing:
:4villager:
and Tom Nook
One hero, one villain. Which is which is down to you. :4villagerf: alt for Villager

Retro series:
:4duckhunt::4rob::4gaw:

Pretty much perfect as is. Duck Hunt Dog would probably have been the first retro choice for me though rather than the third.

Other series
:4olimar:
with Louie alt. :4alph:to be a semi clone that uses rock Pikmin.

:4mii:(actually like what they've done with Mii)
:4littlemac:is a fine choice
Dillon

Third Party:
:4sonic::4pacman::4megaman:
Doesn't get any better

Purposely held back for DLC:
:rosalina:
King K. Rool, Isaac, Fossil Fighter(think Pokemon Trainer with dinosaurs) Black Shadow, :4shulk:, :4palutena:, :mewtwopm:, Chrom, Krystal, Waluigi, Inkling and a Rhythm Heaven character of some description.

51 character roster excluding DLC...maybe I overdid it.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::rosalina::4bowser::4bowserjr::4yoshi::4wario::4dk::4diddy: (Mario series and all associated characters)
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::substitute::4ganondorf::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm: :4pit::4palutena:(These series just feel kind of similar in setting. The sub is Impa)
:4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4charizard::mewtwopm::4lucario::4greninja::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::substitute: (Pokemon and Kirby, not much else to say. Sub is B. Dee)
:4samus::4zss::4fox::wolf::4falcon::4olimar::4gaw::4rob::4duckhunt::4littlemac: (Space + Retro characters)
:4ness::substitute::4villager::4wiifit::4shulk::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mii::substitute: (Everything left over :p Sub 1 is Isaac, 2 is the random slot)

- Zelda needs a new rep, and I feel Impa is the best fit.
- Kirby got Bandanna Dee to round out the 4 playable characters from RtDL.
- Isaac added because Golden Sun needs some representation.
- Replaced Falco with Wolf because he is more important to Starfox games IMO.
- Removed clones (Doc, Lucina, D. Pit, and T. Link).
- More alternate costumes (Falco for Fox, Lucas for Ness, etc).
- Moves from cut characters would be incorporated into other characters.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I would bring in a bunch of characters specifically meant to mess with minds.
Also, I would also probably pull an Ed Boon and put in fake "beta elements" to see how they react.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

Blue = Starting Characters & Red = Unlock Characters

Final Smash Changes
:4dk: Coconut Gun
:4villager: Bee Hive
:4link: Fierce Deity Link
:4falco: Arwing
:4falcon: Super Falcon Punch
:4drmario: Viruses
:4olimar: Rock Pikmin

Move Set Changes
:4ganondorf:
Uses magic and his sword, and Black Shadow takes the old move set.
:mewtwomelee: Nearly the same as melee, and Giygas functions as a Mewtwo semi-clone.
:substitute:Ridley's appearance is based off of the Melee intro.

Last edited:

Blade Knight

Smash Ace

Now since a lot of others made rosters from scratch, here's what I'd have done as director. Toon Link simply becomes 'Link' since the 'Toon' appearance is actually far more common to see across LoZ media and games. Impa replaces Shiek due to relevence but maintains the playstyle and moveset exactly. The extra Pikmin Rep would be the Titan Dweevil, as I'd really want to represent Pikmin with a non-captain character. Sami inherits Snake's moveset, both to help soften the blow for his fans AND to represent another Nintendo IP. The rest is pretty self explanitory. The green characters at the bottom would be Alt Costumes. Sorry WFT, ran out of places to put you.

For some reason it shows the same Ganondorf icon twice. The one in the Primary Roster is TP Ganon and the one at the bot is OoT.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Mario: Mario (Dr skin), Luigi (Dr skin), Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Rosalina, Bowser Jr (no clown car, paintbrush), Koopalings (clown car, jr replaced by Boomboom - only difference is that the second jump is the same as Peach).

Wario: Wario, Treasure Hunter Wario (the Warioland version, with unique moveset), Ashley, Syrup.

Donkey Kong: DK, Diddy, Dixie, K Rool

Zelda: Link (Fierce Deity with the MM original model as skin), Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf (TP style - completely new moveset), Toon Link (with original moveset based on toon games), Tetra (who becomes Zelda during the final smash), Classic Ganon (toon style).

Metroid: Samus, Anthony, Ridley (very fast and powerful but huge lags after each move, due to momentum), Zero Suit Samus.

Kid Icarus: Pit, Palutena, and maybe a newcomer (that's not Dark Pit) (I haven't played the game, I don't know who is better, but I know that there are some promitent characters).

Fire Emblem: Marth (Lucina and Roy as skin - don't know how to differentiate it from the koopaling though), Ike, Robin

Kirby: Kirby, Meta Knight, Dedede, Adeleine, Bandana Dee (Lots of people want him, but there is an equal amount of people who thinks that he's just a goomba, so he can't be the only newcomer).

Starfox: Fox, Falco, Wolf (some small differences in moveset to make them more unique), Krystal.

Pokèmon: Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario, Jigglypuff, someone new like maybe Meloetta or Genesect (I'm not an expert of Pokèmon but these seems the most relevant pokèmons from the actual gen from what I see and read around) (as fun as Greninja is, he's just a random starter, there is nothing iconic about him - Charizard feels empty without the Pokèmon Trainer and the other pokèmons).

Earthbound: Ness, Masked Man, Porky

F-Zero: Cpt Falcon, Black Shadow (with most of old Ganondorf's moves and a couple of new ones)

Other: Villager, Olimar (with some other characters as skin), Shulk (I personally would remove this one, he looks out of place, but let's keep him), Miis (based on Wii- titles and Streetpass games instead of generic movesets) (no wiifit trainer as wiifit is already represented by the miis).

Other (retro): MrG&W, Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt Dog, Rob (remove Little Mac - you know, he was heavily requested but look at how few moveset potential he had and how broken he came out; no, I don't mean he's OP, he's simply bad).

Third Party: Pacman, Megaman, Sonic.

---------------------

62 characters: 52 should be in the main game (now, counting Mewtwo, whe have 50 characters so only 2 more) and 10 should be DLC.

In the DLC:
Bowser Jr, Syrup, Dixie, Sheik, Classic Ganon, Ridley (for the only reason of making you spend the moneys to buy the DLC, due to hype), Adeleine, Wolf, Jigglypuff, Masked Man.

Notice how each big franchise is getting at least 1 newcomer, and I prefered to expand the already big franchises instead of adding new minor ones - this due to the fact that the roster is made to appeal fans and critics, both of them like nostalgia.

----------------

If a second DLC has to be planned later, it would include Impa, Cpt Toad and Inkling. not sure about other characters.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Bring back all previously playable character . Yes, including Roy and Pichu and assuredly Ivy and Squirtle.

Add in Dixie, K Rool, someone from Metroid (probably Ridley but Idk. Crocomire or something), Reyn (or someone from X), Paper Mario.

I'd also force Nintendo to buy Rareware and Double Fine. Make new (good) Banjo Kazooie and Psychonauts games then add Banjo and Raz to the roster. I'm then satisfied

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman

Cuts:
ROB: I actually like ROB, but to me he seems like a one time character.
Dark Pit: Absolutely no need for him.
Jigglypuff: The hardest cut. I just think Jiggs isn't relevant any more.
Lucina: Just shouldn't be there. Even if it wasn't a clone, still don't think FE deserves 4 reps
Ike: I like Ike, but I would have been perfectly happen with a Chrom replacement
Wii Fit Trainer: I think she was here just for a surprise factor

Newcomers:
Dixie: I want K Rool more, but Dixie is relevant now and should be in the game, even if it's a a minor clone.
Impa: Zelda needed another rep, and Ghirahim just seems too minor, as he's only been in one game. Impa makes since.
Sceptile: The three starters with different types would be perfect. Especially with the hoenn remakes coming out the same day!
Lucas: Didn't really deserve a cut.
Wolf: ^
Chrom: Really should've replaced Ike. He just really should have been in the game.
Alph: Yea, that's right. Not a costume, but a character. He would be a clone, but he could use the pikmin 3 pikmin instead of the other ones.
Dark Samus: I think metroid needs a new rep, but Ridley just doesn't seem like a character to me. Dark Samus would be a minor clone, sort of like Fox/Wolf. He could easily have different specials, just look at his assist trophy!
Isaac: This ones sort of bias as I really like Golden Sun, but he nintendo always puts either classics or new people onto the roster, so I would like to see a ''not so long ago, but not that relevant anymore'' kinda dude be thrown on there.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
"ROB: I actually like ROB, but to me he seems like a one time character."

What? He clearly isn't a one-off since he is back.

That doesn't even make sense

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
:4mario:, :4luigi:, :4peach:, :4bowser:, :4yoshi:, :4wario2:,:4bowserjr:, Toad,
:4dk:, :4diddy:, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool
:4link:, :4zelda:, :4sheik:, :4ganondorf:, :4tlink:
:4samus:, :4zss:, Ridley, :4pit:, :4palutena:
:4ness:, :lucas:,:4marth:, :4myfriends:, :4robinm:
:4kirby:, :4dedede:, :4metaknight:, :4fox:, :4falco:, :wolf:
:4pikachu:, :4charizard:, :squirtle:, :ivysaur:, :mewtwopm:, :4jigglypuff:, :4lucario:
:4falcon:, :4gaw:, :4littlemac:, :4olimar:, :4rob:, :4shulk:, Tom Nook, Isaac
:4pacman:,:4megaman:, :snake:, :4sonic:, :4mii:/:4miif:

This is the what the roster would have been if I was in charge back during the beginning of development and had neither the current roster as a reference or Smash 4 speculation to influence my opinion.

Roy & Pichu stay buried. Rosalina, Greninja, Wii Fit Trainer, and Duck Hunt wouldn't have crossed my mind, not because I hate them (I like pretty much every non-clone newcomer) but because they unfortunately wouldn't have fit my arbitrary criteria. Dark Pit and Lucina would not have sneaked onto the roster as clones as I reject clones outright. Tom Nook would have been my pick over Villager as I considered Nook more recognizable than the Villager (Robin still gets in due to having way more moveset potential than Chrom). Finally, I didn't believe in different characters as alternate costumes back in 2012 so Alph and the Koopalings (as well as Dark Pit and Lucina) would have not have been playable (Dr. Mario would be an alt of Mario though). Ice Climbers and Pokémon Trainer are cut due to technical limitations but everyone else from Brawl returns.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
:4mario:, :4luigi:, :4peach:, :4bowser:, :4yoshi:, :4wario2:,:4bowserjr:, Toad,
:4dk:, :4diddy:, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool
:4link:, :4zelda:, :4sheik:, :4ganondorf:, :4tlink:
:4samus:, :4zss:, Ridley, :4pit:, :4palutena:
:4ness:, :lucas:,:4marth:, :4myfriends:, :4robinm:
:4kirby:, :4dedede:, :4metaknight:, :4fox:, :4falco:, :wolf:
:4pikachu:, :4charizard:, :squirtle:, :ivysaur:, :mewtwopm:, :4jigglypuff:, :4lucario:
:4falcon:, :4gaw:, :4littlemac:, :4olimar:, :4rob:, :4shulk:, Tom Nook, Isaac
:4pacman:,:4megaman:, :snake:, :4sonic:, :4mii:/:4miif:

This is the what the roster would have been if I was in charge back during the beginning of development and had neither the current roster or Smash 4 speculation to influence my opinion.

Roy & Pichu stay buried. Rosalina, Greninja, Wii Fit Trainer, and Duck Hunt wouldn't have crossed my mind, not because I hate them (I like pretty much every non-clone newcomer) but because they would have not fit my arbitrary criteria. Dark Pit and Lucina would not have sneaked onto the roster as clones as I reject clones outright. Tom Nook would have been my pick over Villager as I considered Nook more recognizable than the Villager (Robin still gets in due to having way more moveset potential than Chrom). Finally, I didn't believe in different characters as alternate costumes back in 2012 so Alph and the Koopalings (as well as Dark Pit and Lucina) would have not have been playable (Dr. Mario would be an alt of Mario though).
If you reject clones outright, does Falco have his own move set?

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Basically just the Smash 4 roster (including Mewtwo), but add Squirtle, Venusaur (with Ivysaur's moveset), Waluigi, Snake (if the rights happen), Simon Belmont (ditto) Wolf, Porky, Wonder Red, Dixie Kong, Isaac, and Nester for the obligatory surprise retro rep. If cuts have to happen, I'd cut Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, Lucina, Toon Link, and Falco in that order.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4bowserjr::rosalina::4yoshi::4wario::4dk::4diddy:
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4tlink::4samus::4zss::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight:
:4fox::4falco::wolf::4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4greninja::4jigglypuff::mewtwopm::popo:
:4falcon::4ness::lucas::4marth::4lucina::4myfriends::4robinm::4pit::4palutena::4darkpit:
:4olimar::4alph::4littlemac::4gaw::4rob::4villager::4wiifit::4shulk::4sonic::4megaman:
:4pacman::4mii:

Add...

Dixie, King K Rool, Ridley, Vaati, Isaac, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, Dillon, Takamaru, Ray MK, Mach Rider, Chorus Men

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
What-if/"make your own roster" type threads are a dime a dozen. At this point making them is superfluous, as the final roster is set.

Anymore personal roster/character wishlist discussion should be posted in either the Smash 4 Social, or to a lesser extent the already existing Roster Discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom