• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If You Had To Cut Ten Characters, Who Would They Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Well, ThirdKoopa started something the Roster Prediction Discussion Thread, asking if you had to cut ten characters, who would they be?
Yeah. I just doubt a massive cut roster for many reasons; mainly because we're getting so many vets confirmed. I'm thinking though. Let's say ten characters had to be cut: Who'd you pick?
Then I said:
God, we should make a thread for this!
So he replied
gogogo

I've made it so much more entertaining by the freak notion of cutting ten instead of something normal like five or three. ahahahaha
So, now there's a thread.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
HAHAHA, YES. YESSS. NOTHING CAN EVER GO WRONG WITH THIS THREAD

Some ***** I don't know
Ike
Ice Climbers
Toon Link
Snake
Sonic
R.O.B.
Pokemon Trainer
Falco
Ness
Jigglypuff

Leaving...
Mario, DK, Yoshi, Wario, Kid Icarus, Zelda, Metroid, G&W, Fire Emblem, Mother, Pokemon, Star Fox, F-Zero, Pikmin, and Kirby. 15 new series with only ten supporting (Ganondorf, Wolf, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Diddy Kong, Luigi, Peach, Lucario, Bowser, and Zelda)

Keeping series edition:
Ike
Falco
Ness or Lucas
Wolf
Peach
Diddy Kong
King Dedede
Meta-Knight
Pokemon Trainer
Jigglypuff

Making it a bit less than 23 series.

And.....

Here we go again........
This is what you get for actually legitimately putting in Roy and Mewtwo on the two newcomers. |:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Mario - Luigi is the real main character, Mario is jsut an extra character who has no importance.
Pikachu - There are hundreds and hundreds of Pokemon to chose from. Why do we need this stupid little mouse.
Ness - Stupid ****ing little kid.
Donkey Kong - Too fat.
Samus - THE GAME IS CALLED METROID NOT SAMUS SO OBVIOUSLY METROID IS THE MAIN CHARACTER.
Marth - Because Anna is the mascot of the series and Marth is just to feminine and can be replaced via Lucina.
Link - Toon Link > Link
Ganondorf - A GIANT PIG IS BETTER THEN A SLOW *** OLD MAN.
Pit - Stupid *** fairy
Kirby - Too pink and eats to much.

And a bonus 11th character;

King Dedede - Too skinny.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
ZSS
Sonic
Snake
Ike
Toon Link
Lucario
Sheik
Charizard
Squirtle
Ivysaur

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Getting rid of the 3rd party guys first

1. Snake
2. Sonic

Now getting rid of the clones
3. Falco
4. Lucas
5. Toon Link
6. Ganondorf

Now shooting off the irrelevant characters :troll:
7. Ike
8. Lucario Charizard, Squirtle, and the green pokemon
9. Jigglypuff
10. Captain Falcon

Groose

Smash Champion
I'd suggest you ban debate from the thread. Just post your answer and leave. Otherwise, I can guarantee a flame war and a lock.

1) Wolf
He's my first cut. Why? Yeah, I understand that he's far more unique than Falco. But he's just not a huge enough part of the Star Fox franchise and he's not the most unique character in the game.

2) Lucas
He's a semi-clone. I also have no personal attachment to him and he's not a widely known character.

3) Toon Link
He should go; I main him and even I acknowledge this. There's really no need for him; just make Link lighter and more agile and we're good.

4) Lucario
Don't get me wrong. I love Lucario. He's one of my favorite Pokemon and I like him in Smash. But his playstyle doesn't really represent his in-universe playstyle and he never really established himself as "one of the Smash crew."

5) Pokemon Trainer
He's a lot of work for a "single character." While I don't want to see him go, cutting him frees up a lot more time than cutting any other character.

6) Ike
He's unique, but he's not the most interesting character. He'd be easily replaced as a heavy swordsman by Samurai Goroh, Chrom, Magnus, and even Takamaru.

7) R.O.B.
I'd be sad to see him go, but he's not really a crucial part of Smash and he doesn't bring much personality to the table. He's very unique, though, and this is a cut I wouldn't want to make, as are all of the below.

8) Falco
I personally prefer Falco's Brawl style to Fox's... and they're not really clones or even semi-clones. Still... they do share a number of similarities and I'd be able to stomach it. I see him as a more central character than Wolf in both Star Fox and Smash, so he would only be cut afterwards.

9) Snake
He's not really a Nintendo character, and he wasn't the most fitting third party choice. My only problem cutting him is that he's one of the most unique and enjoyable and popular characters on the roster.

10) Ganondorf
If he's going to come back and play like he did in Brawl, it's better to just put him out of his misery.

10. Captain Falcon
I personally view Captain Falcon as the face of the franchise. If I were Sakurai, I would be very afraid to cut him.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Missed this in the other thread, here goes

1. Snake
Konami is not entitled to a rep and Snake hardly means anything to Nintendo

2. Lucario
Weakest link of the pokemon candidates for me

3. Ike
Marth and Robin would represent the series just fine.

4. Falco
Wolf is a better complement to Fox + dislike Falco.

5. Toon Link
Triforce is all we need from Zelda

6. R.O.B.
It's him or Game and Watch, and I like Game and Watch

7. Sonic
When in doubt, cut the ones not Nintendo

8. Meta Knight
Kirby is the hero, Dedede is often the "antagonist" and Meta Knight just crashes the party

9. Lucas
Because I can't see who else to cut

10. Jigglypuff
Weakest link of the characters that remain, and Pokemon Trainer and Pikachu represent pokemon the best.

(That was actually easier than I thought ... )

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I agree wtih Groose, ban debate from the thread.

Regardless, I fear this thread may be locked anyway. I have only ever seen one thread here involving character cutting that wasn't locked.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
6I already mentioned this in another thread but I guess I could post it to here and give more in-depth about why are they selected in my top 10 cut list and there are few different possibilities based on groups. I've edited some biased picks out this time.

GROUP (SPECIAL): Been a fallen character (least importance goes first)
1. Young Link
2. Dr. Mario
3. Pichu
4. Roy
5. Mewtwo

GROUP A: Programming difficulty (most difficult goes first)
1. Pokemon Trainer (x3)
- -Charizard
- -Ivysaur
- -Squirtle
2. Ice Climbers

GROUP B: Brawl clones (least deserved goes first, excludes important clones like Luigi, Ganondorf)
1. Toon Link
2. Lucas
3. Falco

GROUP B.1: Brawl clones (overrep goes first)
1. Falco
2. Lucas
3. Toon Link

GROUP C: 3rd party - licensing issues
-Snake
-Sonic

GROUP D: lowest priority (excluding melee fallens)
1. Purin
2. Toon Link
3. Wolf
4. Snake
5. Sonic
6. Lucario
7. Ike
8. Lucas

- - - -

By default the top 4 of who's getting cut is pretty obvious:
1. Young Link
2. Dr. Mario
3. Pichu
4. Roy

Now, the rest in top 10 is becoming pretty complicated... I've divided them in different possibilities depend on what group Sakurai will be going to oppose on:

GROUP A, B: LAZY
5. Falco (B.1) / Toon Link (B)
6-8. Pokemon Trainer
9. Falco (B) / Toon Link (B.1)
10. Lucas

GROUP A (mandatory), B: MOAR LAZY
5-7. Pokemon Trainers
8. I.C.
9. Falco (B.1) / Toon Link (B)
10. Lucas

GROUP A, C (mandatory): LAZY & LICENSING ISSUES
5. Snake
6. Sonic
7-10. Pokemon Trainer

GROUP B, C (mandatory), D: LICENSING ISSUES
5. Snake
6. Sonic
7. Falco (B.1) / Toon Link (B)
8. Lucas
9. Falco (B) / Toon Link (B.1)
10. Purin

GROUP (SPECIAL, mandatory), A, D: MASS POKECUTS
5. Purin
6. Lucario
7. Mewtwo
8-10. Pokemon Trainer

GROUP A, B, D: REP BALANCE
5. Falco
6. Toon Link
7-9. Pokemon Trainer
10. Purin

GROUP B, D: REP BALANCE 2
5. Falco
6. Toon Link
7. Purin
8. Lucario
9. Wolf
10. Ike

GROUP (SPECIAL, mandatory), D
5. Mewtwo
6. Purin
7. Toon Link
8. Wolf
9. Snake
10. Sonic

Really... too many possibilities and no way we'll be able to predict who will Sakurai cut :/

Unless 10 cuts is bit too much.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Sonic
Snake
Wolf
Lucas
ZSS
Sheik
Ike
Toon Link
Lucario

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Oh wow, 10 is a pretty large number.

1. Sonic. Rotating third parties keep the roster fresh.
2. Snake. See above.
3. Lucario. "You are the weakest link. Goodbye"
4. Falco. Too similar to Fox for my liking, unlike Wolf.
5. Ike. Rotate dem Fire Emblem characters.
6. Toon Link. Cut the clones.
7. Lucas. Really obscure character who's too much like Ness for my tastes.
8. Jigglypuff. A Pokemon with a rapidly declining fanbase makes it hard to justify her staying.
9. Meta Knight. Dedede and Kirby pretty much complete the franchise as far as I'm aware.
10. Ivysaur. Replace with another Pokemon for Pokemon Trainer. It's too much of an oddball for me when looking at Charizard and Squirtle.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Minor note, I think people should consider Pokemon Trainer as a single character. Yes, it's the moveset of three characters, but still, the idea is that you use all three and there's even a mechanic that forces you to do so.
So all three pokemon stay or all three pokemon leave.

Hong

The Strongest
Fun. I'm borrowing from the post above.

1 & 2) Sonic and Snake. I don't like third-party additions. That aside, Sonic has the worst moveset ever and Snake doesn't fit at all. Strong contrast is important for character distinction, but Snake goes too far.
3) R.O.B. Most lame character ever. Almost as bland as Sonic, and does nothing for the fans. Keep the same play style, but go with a more interesting character.
4) Falco. Not a bad character per se, but I rather have development focus on a more diverse cast.
5) Ike. Enter Chrom/Lucina.
6) Toon Link. Even when you put aside the fact it is another Link, he could at least have a completely unique moveset.
7, 8) Ness and Lucas. Enter Ninten. Completely re-envisioned (like Pit in Brawl) and designed so he scales as players improve.
9) Jigglypuff. Integrate aerial prowess to Kirby and ditch this mess.
10) Lucario. Enter Mewtwo.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I hate to be Captain Bringdown, but these kind of threads are not allowed.

There are a few old threads on cuts, which were active a few weeks ago (and M&SG didn't lock them.) I suggest using those threads instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom