• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you could change PT....

hurricanehans

Smash Rookie
This brings me back to an old discussion i've had before.
What would you think of a brawl spinoff game based off of just pokemon? Meaning the mechanics are all the same just with characters and stages from the pokemon games/anime. I got a little excited thinking of the possible characters and such, and I thought the only thing holding it back from being an awesome game would be the sales numbers.

Heres my roster: http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1482/pkmnsmashroster1.jpg
It was based off of only 1st generation pokemon (i'm starting to warm up to some later gens....)

Feel free to discuss my roster, suggest switches or additions, and even make your own!

Tesh

Smash Hero
I always thought there SHOULD be a pokemon game just like smash. I'm so sick of playing the same lame RPG over and over.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
So we really dont want to talk about Pokemon Type Wild where it's like Street Fighter, do we? Gengar main. :)

JOE!

Smash Hero
why do you have pre-vos and evos of the starters? Kind of a waste of a slot...

anywho, back to our PT:

Aside from Snorlax and Pikachu, he also used Espeon and Lapras...

If we include Pigeotto and Snorlax as the theoretical 4th and 5th, that'd bring in a super-recovery mon and a super-tank mon, and seeing as Lapras would just be another tank...why not have Espeon for Psychic shenanigans?

hurricanehans

Smash Rookie
why do you have pre-vos and evos of the starters? Kind of a waste of a slot...

anywho, back to our PT:

Aside from Snorlax and Pikachu, he also used Espeon and Lapras...

If we include Pigeotto and Snorlax as the theoretical 4th and 5th, that'd bring in a super-recovery mon and a super-tank mon, and seeing as Lapras would just be another tank...why not have Espeon for Psychic shenanigans?
Well there aren't many slots to begin with. Plus, i thought i'd be for slight variations kind of like Marth/Roy or Fox/Falco. Anyway, it was kind of off topic. My bad.

Lapras would be kind of boring and awkward to play as. Seeing as how she is supposed to be in the water, and she is a large four legged (finned) animal, she'd probably have a big disadvantage with larger areas to hit and such. I'd imagine she wouldn't have much speed to back it up either. Ice beam would be interesting to see though, but Espeon would be best if there had to be a 6th AND it had to be accurate to Red's party.

hurricanehans

Smash Rookie
Pidgeotto would fit in very well IMO. There's already other flying characters in brawl, so why not? At least Pidgeotto has a compact hit-zone and would be physically able to travel around the stage. The only concern i'd have with pidgeotto would be his special moves. It'd be like wing attack, gust attack, sand attack? Those seem to be his iconic moves, but how would they be executed?

JOE!

Smash Hero
I was thinking of him being mid-size (Ivysaur/pika-ish), but allways "flying" a bit above the ground, like an allways SH Hover peach....

this could lead to neat moves and defenses...

Also, specials would be:

Up: Fly (think Sonic spring but then a glide at the end, no hitbox but cancel into a glide attack)

Side: Brave Bird / Sky Attack (Think ike's Quick Draw only lag instead of charge-up. Big risk for Big reward)

Neutral: Gust/Whirlwind/Etc (Continuos "push" of wind as long as it's held)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Up B would make a better Gust/Whirlwind or maybe Tailwind, IMO. Side B'd could be something like Mud Slap, Quick Attack or Steel Wing, while neutral be Air Slash/Brave Bird/Sky Attack. I'd think the last one would be better suited as a FS, or maybe give him a temporary Agility boost + unlimited use of Fly/jumps, kinda like Pit's recovery without the getting hit=death aspect. If you wanna get really technical, it could use things like Heat Wave, Twister and Hyper Beam and the like, but it's not known for using any of those moves. But then again, there's Charizard. lol

I think if Espeon's to be considered, then Pidgeotto shouldn't, though. Mixing the games(Esp/Lapras) and the anime/personal preferences(Blue's the one who raised a Pidgeot iirc) doesn't work out too well, though I acknowledge the anime/popularity are the main if not only reasons most of the playable Pokemon are playable.

tl;dr - Needs more manga team. Red has Espeon, Poliwrath and Aerodactyl/Gyarados(not as viable, but meh) in addition to Snorlax.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I also thought of sky attack, but more as a final smash. Also Brave Bird would be ****** but then he would be a flying Pichu, hurting himself every time he used that move.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I also thought of sky attack, but more as a final smash. Also Brave Bird would be ****** but then he would be a flying Pichu, hurting himself every time he used that move.
no, it's only be 1 move for high risk/reward...

Pichu was just emo

as for gust, it would be either a projectile-tornado (think a mini version of Hyrule Castle tornado shot out :bee:) or a strong push effect

also, nobody commented on the idea of having him ALLWAYS be off the ground?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
no, it's only be 1 move for high risk/reward...

Pichu was just emo

as for gust, it would be either a projectile-tornado (think a mini version of Hyrule Castle tornado shot out :bee:) or a strong push effect

also, nobody commented on the idea of having him ALLWAYS be off the ground?
Still, it's bad enough that Pokemon has a tendency to decrease its performance as time goes on i.e hurting itself or fatigue. Can't we just leave risky hurtful moves out?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
That'd be too broken/weird IMO @ Joe. Can understand the dash, maybe even walk, but floating all the time would be iffy. Not being able to walk into the edges of a stage(I assume he'd just fly off, kinda like when a character is pushed off by some effect), iffy for crouching/doing downward moves/crawling?/etc., and lotta moves would be useless against it(Charizard's D-smash, DK's Down B, damaging items/projectiles on the floor, and so on), and it would be odd considering the same can't be done for Charizard since he's part flying(the flying over objects while running, at least).

JOE!

Smash Hero
That'd be too broken/weird IMO @ Joe. Can understand the dash, maybe even walk, but floating all the time would be iffy.
Pidgeotto is allways depicted as at least "hovering" in just about every appearance, and it wouldnt even be that high off the ground, picture something the size of Pikachu but at the height of like :falcon:

Not being able to walk into the edges of a stage(I assume he'd just fly off, kinda like when a character is pushed off by some effect), iffy for crouching/doing downward moves/crawling?/etc., and lotta moves would be useless against it(Charizard's D-smash, DK's Down B, damaging items/projectiles on the floor, and so on), and it would be odd considering the same can't be done for Charizard since he's part flying(the flying over objects while running, at least).
Yeah, when he flies off an (edge) he'll simply enter his "airborne" state.

His "crouch" will have him just land, and his "standard" attacks will just be moves he does like normal, but from angles that are different from what is normally seen. Also peach for all intents and purposes can share that "immunity" too.

As for Zard, he's not portrayed as Pidgeotto is, with him being grounded most of the time unless he has a specific attack to do in the air, or is simply travelling

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
I would give Squirtle the water rush move similar to what Piplup has or really just allow Squirtle to manipulate waterfall a lot more. Use waterfall for a more versatile attack. I would also recommend that Squirtle's water gun "attack" that is charged can be used in his recovery arsenal. That it pushes him up if it connects with something below. Like maybe using water gun in a footstool spike manner. Or if he is under a ledge and will miss it on recovery, if he is on his last jump he can shoot the water at the side of the stage to push him out further to do a waterfall recovery. I say give him more recovery options since Pika's quick attack allows him so many recovery possibilities. I feel Squirtle would be helped by improving his recovery options also.

On Ivysaur, I would say just add solar beam as a normal attack. Though it would have to charge up like Samus and Lucario. I would also like to see a more versatile vine whip in that you can angle it from various directions. Like use it to stop a recovery. By it being angled to hit at a lower angle if you are on a ledge/stage.

Charizard...I would like to see an improved flight option. If Pitt and Meta Knight can fly so fast and gracefully, then Zard doesn't need the nerf on flying either. I like Zard's rocksmash power, I just think he should use some firebased attack instead. So he doesn't look so odd pulling rocks out of mid-air. I would also like Charzy's neutral air attack to spin faster so it can be a bit of a surprise to an attacker.

Top Bottom