• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you are going to main Ike..

Reckoning A16

Smash Apprentice
Then you probably want to try to somewhat temporarily main say Bowser or Ganondorf if your use to fast characters (my main in melee is Marth, bleh).
I'm posting about this because I was hanging out with two of my friends yesterday playing smash till 6 ******* am and half the time I was trying to get use to playing as a slow character...I wasnt too worried about the speed change because I'm awesome with every melee character I play even if it is a character I very rarely play and have stopped playing him/her for months..but..

****!!!!

I tried Bowser, and I could not handle the slowness of this guy, I have avoided playing slow characters up until yesterday, but basicly my friends tossed me around like a rag doll..and they were teasing me by being jigglypuff and pichu :ohwell:
So now I'm somewhat decent with Ganondorf...kind of...not really..but hopefully by the time Brawl comes out I can own on Wi-Fi- as Ike.

What about you? Anyone doing anything like this in order to be prepared for Brawl?

iMichael

Smash Lord
As a competitive player I can say that your not going to own on Wi-fi if your just now going to play as a "slow character", because Ike is slower than Bowser and Ganon so there's really no way of practicing for him. Sorry to steal your thunder, but it's true. Ike is really, really slow. Lots of lag and everything.

Polostick

Smash Apprentice
get some unlockables for him. if ur lucky then marth will be in. roy is probobly out

i rekon ike is one of those characters u start off with if u r new 2 smash because when i started i played with bower but i havent played him 4 ages, but i dun think ike is a character u want as ur main

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
well i think ike is bad*** and cool

i played FE POR and RD

he has a sword and its cool

but why dont u think ikes not a character to be worth mained b/cs hes slow?

or really slow with bad recover?

oh and im not new to smash

marth main black
fav move practily a ken combo but finish with reverse dolphin slash

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Well. I'm going in knowing full well that Ike may not play anything like any other character I've used before. So I'm not doing heavy training with any one character. What I've been trying is a mix of watching Ike videos, and playing around with Roy and Bowser in Melee to get a general feel for 'slow.'

I know. I know, this will not truly prepare me for Ike specifically. But it will help cure me of any notions I may have of him being some speedster combo-juggling type like Marth. It's something, at least. I'd been practicing speedsters lately in Melee to understand a few things, so I'll want to kick some bad habits early before I start playing Ike. I figure it's something.

iMichael

Smash Lord
wait so r u saying ike cant be played competivly?

as in 1 on 1?
No Ike can be played in the competitive scene....it's just going to take some mad work against those like Meta, Pit, Snake, Sonic, Fox those who are faster.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
good b/c thats what i plan to do
if you or anybody u know is going to main the **** outof the characters u listed then direct me to them for their friend code
well if u are going to main ike like a beast envy tell me and add me as a wii friend b/c im serious in maining and going pro

oh and i play a lot of smash

iMichael

Smash Lord
good b/c thats what i plan to do
if you or anybody u know is going to main the **** outof the characters u listed then direct me to them for their friend code
well if u are going to main ike like a beast envy tell me and add me as a wii friend b/c im serious in maining and going pro

oh and i play a lot of smash
heh...yeah...as of now...him and Snake are my main. Add me right now...I'll add you right now too!

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
DONE

this could be the beginging of a great friendship and rivalry

sry to aaaahhhh ruin the mood but i almost feel gay but not quite not glowing and definently not flaming

lol i make myself laugh

OperationJonny

Smash Cadet
Under your bed, making the face in my icon.
I plan on playing through every mode of SSE, until I can breeze through Intense.

Then smushing the computers until I'm satisfied. Then I'm going to hit WiFi with Ike, as Marth is my main, and I'm anticipating using Ike, and unearthing every last bit of potential in that character.

Hopefully, that'll prepare me for the players that I anticipate to be the most challenging.

Oh, and what's funny about this, is that when I first played SSB, I mained Ganondorf for a long time. XD I was pretty swift with him too. But, I ended up moving on to the way of the sword. =P

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
thats right the sword ownes

especially ragnell

ill do the samething as you but unless ike is a starter which im prutty sure he is i wont do sse ill just verse my die-hard friends forever

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
I thought of this a long time ago, back when I first came to grips that Ike is slow.

I actually got pretty decent with bowser and ganon (among friends anyway) and I was looking to get better so I asked gimpyfish. This is what he said. (as close as i can remember)

"Practicing with characters in melee will not in any way help prepare you for brawl"

so I went back to maining roy link and kirby.

Ike is of his own breed and until I can actually practice with him I will have no clue how he handles so I'm not gonna hold back by playign slow characters I'm not good with in Melee.

and please guys can we not turn this into another "who's maining Ike?" topic, we already have one of those.

OperationJonny

Smash Cadet
Under your bed, making the face in my icon.
thats right the sword ownes

especially ragnell

ill do the samething as you but unless ike is a starter which im prutty sure he is i wont do sse ill just verse my die-hard friends forever
Yeah, humans are always better to play than computers, because comps follow routines, which after a while, won't give you an upper hand against better players, because they have the magical ability to adjust, haha.

That's why I'm going to be playing against my MLG smash tourney winning buddy to keep sharp. XD

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
hell yeah i need someone who was MLG

i was getting extremly good with marth and i decided i wanted to go to a smash MLG torney in the summer but then while i was owning friends (which we have a falco thats great with adv techs and the annoying SHL and a pretty good fox) i thought

wait brawls coming out ill just have to start over with a brawl character then get extremly good again then when i feel i cant get any better with whats availible to me (yes its possible to have friends that are really good but arnt pro b/c they dont go to MLG) ill go to MLG with my character which is ike

Torchik

Smash Ace
Hehe, Ike is my main no matter what! I don't care how slow he is, I'll MAKE him good! No one is gonna change my mind! Hmmmm, there's one person I REALLY want to add as my rival/friend when the game comes out and that's Deathparasol! ^_^ Heh, I've always liked him ever since the I joined the boards! Oh, and of course I'll add you, Roith. It seems like wherever one of us posts, the other follows. Yay, I can't wait! ^_^
I wouldn't mind playing Corax King, but I think I annoy him. ^_^'

Almost forgot! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! ^____________________^

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
well then its always nice to have another die hard ike player whats your Wii friend code for future reference mines by y profile and ill do the same thing as you ;)

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
im ganon is different than ike in a lot of ways if u ask then ill tell u or just ask gimpyfish u wont be ready not even people who went to e4all and used ike

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
ur exactly right and i love that everyone will be on the same level i dont mind i had a spectacular marth but ike is more interesting and it looks to me not very many people will main him

skyace89

Smash Journeyman
i plan on maining ike 2. i was always a fan of FE and i like chars with swords. I will definitely dominate with ike when i play my friends and on wifi.

Gundo

Smash Apprentice
Ike is slow... but he is indeed powerful and skillful. It'll be hard for people that think of Marth and use Ike, since they don't move any-so alike. As for beating all the noob-friendly characters such as Meta or Pit, You must also keep in mind that they'll use the B moves alot and smash like crazy. Metaknight with a noobish user should be okay to beat, as long as you play on the defensive.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
i was a great marth main but i no not to think there the same or even similiar well except their
sword, hair color, and cape

i believe all speed characters are newb friendly but then it can get difficult with how much potenial a character has perfect example marth

easy for newbs to use but SHDF lcanceling is tough but like i said i was a great marth i think ike will be fun and awesome to use

Torchik

Smash Ace
Yep, for those of us who plan to master Ike, it's gonna be a challenge. Once we do, though, we're gonna rule!! Hehe, me, Roith, and Deathparasol are gonna be Ike masters! Count on it! ^_^

By the way Roith, did you add me yet cause it says it's still making sure we both registered. >_>

TamJammerz

Smash Apprentice
My best characters? Well, I'm a mix between slow and fast.

Slow characters are - Link, Samus, Ganondorf, Roy
Fast characters are - Marth, Captain Falcon, Falco, Sheik

So I've never really experienced what you're feeling righ tthere, and I never intend to find out :p

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
i got u torchicik sent u Wii mail

ike masters i like it may be to soon to say that but i cant escape the inevitable

but i think we can come up with a better name then ike masters ill think on it when 2/10/08 rolls arounf

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
i got u torchicik sent u Wii mail

ike masters i like it may be to soon to say that but i cant escape the inevitable

but i think we can come up with a better name then ike masters ill think on it when 2/10/08 rolls arounf

The Attorney

Smash Rookie
How about the Fellowship of the Emblem?

Now, to answer the main question, I was already pretty decent with Ganondorf before I even heard of Ike. Yes, I admit that I wasn't the greatest, but I could handle slow characters... to a point. Bowser drove me crazy. With that speed, it is a wonder that Mario doesn't catch him as he slow-runs out the door with Peach.

But I'm positive that no character can be as slow as Bowser. So I'm prepared to main Ike once Brawl comes out. And if Ike is to slow for my taste, hey, there is always Meta Knight.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
lol yeah i really dont think he is slow as everyone says he his i tell just watch vids or look at my sig

10 points i just rhymed XD

iMichael

Smash Lord
Ike is very slow and predictable. Lots of startup and ending lag on him.....Competitive Metaknights, Pits, Sonics will give Ike a hard time.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
and thats exactly what im going to love it'll be a real challenge but i like it

Waluigi911

Smash Lord
Ike can't possibly be that bloody slow, man. He's just got a big sword, for Pete's sake! Look at the bloke, he's just as skinny and limber as Marth. If he flippin' lumbers slower than stinkin' Bowser, then we got some issues, man, I'm tellin' ya.

Top Bottom