• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If Samus became the old MK, how much would you still play her?

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
I found myself playing Diddy a lot more after his nerf. I would play Samus unabashedly in any tournament until she is banned. But seriously, if she became the character that "everyone was using" or the "cheap pick" or "OP" xyz, etc, would that be a good thing?

IMO, it would be best if she were mid to mid-upper; meaning, a functional shield punish, smash attacks, and maybe a kill throw.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Lol, we can only hope! I'm nervously anticipating tomorrow's patch... and really hoping someone, somewhere is listening in.
And to answer your question, yes, I've played her at her lowest (brawl) and would have no problem with the heights of competitive tier lists.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I like her toolkit and playstyle, regardless of its relative effectiveness. That said, I am all for Samus buffs. Marth buffs would be lovely, too. It's too bad that the elegant fencer had to get gutted, especially since his updated appearance looks so good.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
I wouldn't be a jerk about it....buuuut I'd be screaming. "YOU GET A CHARGE SHOT!, and YOU GET A CHARGE SHOT!, YOU ALL GET CHARGE SHOTS!"

:-D. All that pent up anger from 2 games would probably come roaring out.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Well I don't think she could become a top tier character whilst retaining what makes Samus Samus, so I probably wouldn't still main her no. If she got like grab/jab/roll buffs lower missile lag to bring her up to mid-high tier id still play her

Last edited:

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
Well I don't think she could become a top tier character whilst retaining what makes Samus Samus, so I probably wouldn't still main her no. If she got like grab/jab/roll buffs lower missile lag to bring her up to mid-high tier id still play her
All she would need to become God tier is to have a spammable FULL cs (no charging).

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
If they stayed true to Samus' design as a Metroid character, of course I'd still main her. I actually feel like if they changed her moveset to reflect more of her abilities from the Metroid series, the only thing left would for her to be buffed.

If they completely changed her moveset AND totally removing the Metroid-essence from her, that might be more of an issue for me.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
I'd still main her, and not feel guilty in the slightest (well, maybe a little). She's my favorite game character ever, and my second favorite character in fiction in general (1st is Batman. Go figure, right?). She's an incredibly powerful, swift, and amazingly strong superhuman canonically, so I'd feel right at home if she was properly represented that way.

If they stayed true to Samus' design as a Metroid character, of course I'd still main her. I actually feel like if they changed her moveset to reflect more of her abilities from the Metroid series, the only thing left would for her to be buffed.

If they completely changed her moveset AND totally removing the Metroid-essence from her, that might be more of an issue for me.
Yeah, as much as I'm okay with her (mostly intact) classic moveset for Smash, I do still think it would have been nice if they had taken more inspiration for her moveset from Other M or something, because, like it or not, she displayed her actual hand-to-hand combat skills in that game, on top of other abilities. Some of them being staples to the series. Even Super, and the Prime Trilogy portray time and again how she fights that still rings true, even in Other M. On top of that, there are several Manga that still display her as such: prefers her massive firepower, but can crush things in close quarters if she really wants to.

I mean, c'mon. Look at this...
Screenshot courtesy of Metroid Database.

Yes. She's holding that giant missile. With one arm. While riding on top of her ship. Samus is a freakin' juggernaut in this Manga. This Manga is "Samus & Joey", for those interested.

^ That particular one isn't canon, but really, it's too awesome not to show off. If you want a canon feat, she did swing a giant lava whale (the Vorash) around a room and kill it by THROWING it against the wall. Seen here:

Last edited:

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
New Back throw maybe?
I always thought her back throw could be similar to Mario's, being that she swings Ki-Hunters around in the same fashion (just with one arm) and then throws them across the room. Only difference is that, this being Smash, it wouldn't make other characters go "splat". lol

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
Heck the only reason I don't main her is because she plays nothing like she does in the 2D games, in those she's incredibly fast, falls like a brick and fires a barrage of shots at insane speeds.

In Smash bros she can't even charge her shot in the air and falls like a balloon despite being in a thousand pound metal alloy suit. (jumping while charging is a thing in her games)

Samus is an unstoppable agile metal juggernaut that tears through waves of enemies like its nothing. Removing a suit that has the power to bring extinction to an entire species considered dangerous to all lifeforms in the galaxy shouldn't make you stronger. Especially not if its replaced with.... high heels :facepalm:

If her smash bros incarnation was faster, had a safer projectile and was much more combo heavy along with a more reliable killmove, I would instantly drop ZSS to main Samus.

I don't want to sound pissed off nor do I want to shame anyone who loves Samus's current play-style its all a matter of taste and yours is as valuable as mine, I love the Metroid games and I personally believe Samus should be a rush down character instead of being campy, and as it currently stands, shes quite campy.

Last edited:

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Heck the only reason I don't main her is because she plays nothing like she does in the 2D games, in those she's incredibly fast, falls like a brick and fires a barrage of shots at insane speeds.

In Smash bros she can't even charge her shot in the air and falls like a balloon despite being in a thousand pound metal alloy suit. (jumping while charging is a thing in her games)

Samus is an unstoppable agile metal juggernaut that tears through waves of enemies like its nothing. Removing a suit that has the power to bring extinction to an entire species considered dangerous to all lifeforms in the galaxy shouldn't make you stronger.
Yeah, as I said above in other posts, I wouldn't have minded one bit if they changed her up to at least play more like she does in games like Other M. Samus had a rather brutal, grapple heavy fighting style with some kicks thrown in, too, and it fit her just fine. She was as she should be in that one, quick and powerful. I don't understand why she has to constantly be relegated to slow, floaty, campy projectile spammer when she's clearly shown she's not even close to that. Well, aside from the projectile spam part, but in the actual games she's all over the place rather than staying in one far off area to shoot...

And now she has her own evade move in her own games: the Sense Move. But instead we still get the slow, cumbersome Morph Ball roll. I would love the Morph Ball as a crawl like it is in Project M, and the down special for bombs of course. Let her roll be the Sense Move!

Top Bottom