• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ideal Stages for Charizard

What Starter Stage should we discuss first?

• Smashville

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Battlefield/Miiverse

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Final Destination

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
Hello Charizard players. I have noticed that the thread on Charizard's stage selection is old and outdated, so I have took it upon myself to make said thread.This thread is intended to inform Charizard players on what stages they should go to, as to avoid picking the wrong stage that could cost them the game. What are our ideal stages for Charizard? For reference, here is the usual stage selection for tournaments. I will add a general consensus for each stage as we go.

Color checklist:

Green- This is a stage that Charizard can depend on and will almost always be a good stage choice for optimal play.

Yellow- This is a stage that is neutral for Charizard but it can sometimes benefit him depending on the matchup.

White- This is a stage is absolutely neutral for Charizard. You are most likely banning this stage because it is your opponent's best stage. (Or, it is the filler color for stages not fully discussed yet.)

Orange- This stage is sometimes bad for Charizard but can be neutral depending on the matchup. You may want to ban these stages.

Red- This stage is bad for Charizard in most to all matchups, and it is reccomended that you ban these stages.

Stagelist:

Starter:
Battlefield/Miiverse
Final Destination
Smashville

Starter or CounterPick (usually starter):
Town and City
Lylat Cruise

CounterPick:
Dreamland 64
Duck Hunt

CounterPick or Banned (usually banned):
Delfino
Halberd
Castle Seige

I have a poll created for which stage we will discuss first. The choices you have currently are Battlefield, Smashville, and Final Destination since they are practically guranteed to be starter stages. For the next week, feel free to talk about your opinion on any of the legal stages before we decide which starter stage we will discuss. Enjoy the discussion folks!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Low ceilings favor him a lot.

Halberd, Duck Hunt, Dreamland Battlefield are all the optimal stages for him imo.

Last edited:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Dreamland/Battlefield/Town and City are the most consistently good, I think. Delfino, he is prone to getting camped hard by characters like Yoshi. Halberd hurts your survivability more than it helps your KO power, imo.

Lyled

Smash Rookie
I'd say Zard's best stages are Town and City and Duck Hunt. Could well be Duck Hunt as I don't think that many other characters in the roster benefit from that stage

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
I like BF better than TAC most of the time simply because on BF zard gets consistent pressure with up smashes, up tilts and even nair and fair. On TAC, the platforms aren't even there for some of the time, and they can be too high up for zard to land usmash/utilt, meaning he has to use riskier options such as uair. Plus, his uthrow will always have a chance to land on a platform, where on TAC he doesn't have this option consistently. Although it really does depend. If you are getting pressured and comboed like crazy, BF may not be the best stage, because some characters like fox have some combo strings that they otherwise wouldn't be able to pull off without the use of platforms.

Leety

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leety01
3DS FC
1993-8239-5899
The best (assuming we're talking starter stage) is probably battlefield/Miiverse in most cases. It might just be a bias towards the stage as it's generally where I work best for Zard and it's also one of my favorites for Smash stages in general but hear out my reasoning.

The stage size.

In my opinion, BF has a near perfect size for Zard. If Zard is given stage control, Zard should be able both move around and pressure opponents consistently with hitboxes somewhere. Nowhere to hide, nowhere to run, and nowhere to camp consistently without placing a huge risk which the opponent is forced into edge-guarding situations by Zard.

Platforms!!! :D

Yep, all that needs to excite me But aside from the obvious cheese we can perform one of the most beneficial things about platforms is giving us more options for possibly our hugest disadvantage, landing. We have a massive shield and landing on one of these means we don't have to resort to an air dodge. Not only that, our grounded speed helps us traverse platform to platform with ease until we find a safe point to get back on the stage.

And when our opponent is on a platform and forced into shield option, they have to fear our mid-platform Rock Smash. This creates insane amounts of pressure on our opponent's (most likely) smaller shield. Alright, Rock Smash is a bit difficult to land like that, but we have other attacks that can pressure shields very effectively on platforms which means trouble when they get back on stage.

I only try to avoid BF in very specific MUs such as DK for details that require a different post.

Worst starter stage in my opinion is Final Destination.

Pretty much everything I stated above is taken away. Since I already sort of gave a bit more in-depth look at it, here's the short.

You are officially juggle fodder

The stage is so large, zoney characters are just going to have fun with you

Pretty much gonna spell an uphill slope for Zard until he can get in the opponent's range.

Top Bottom