• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Idea For New England Tournament

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
Premise:

- To host a tournament in Fall 2007 or Spring 2008 that will attract players from all over the country.

- To be one of the first massive tournaments for Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

- This should be a 2-Day event.

- This tournament should include some sort of nearby or centralized housing in a manner similar to OC2.

- The entire process would be a group effort from the New England Smash Community.

The Little Steps:

- We need a name. So if anyone has any ideas then feel free to give some. Perhaps we could even call it Cataclysm 4 if that's okay with the Mages.

- Research and find possible venues that would be able to host a large tournament as well as venues that would be able to house everyone in a central location.

I'm positive that as a whole, the New England community would be able to pull this off. The key is finding the right venue. And if everyone looks into some possibilities, then it should be a success.

If anyone is interested in helping to make this happen in anyway, please post and give your input. Don't be shy to put forth any venue ideas that are suspect. This is just brainstorming. Perhaps there are other alternatives that haven't been thought of just yet.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
I've heard of a lot of events like Boston Anime. Does anyone know where these events are held? Perhaps this would be a good first start to looking into solving our venue problem.

Questor96

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I would suggest looking into the Hynes Convention Center. That's where Anime Boston is held, and there's tons of room. The last AB was... 8000+ I think? I don't know the full number, but it was huge. Also, the Sheraton Hotel is RIGHT next door. We could even just rent out the ballroom (It was the VG room for AB last year, there were a ton of people in there), there should be enough room.

But that seems like the most logical venue, it's right off the train, has housing almost built in, and is big enough to fit what it should need to.

This would be amazing if it happened. We should totally do it.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
Good work Questor. This is a good option to continue researching. Overall though, I think cost will be a big factor. We want to make this event as affordable as possible.

Anyone know who ran OC2? I think their advice and experience for organizing this type of thing would be good.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
Housing Ideas:

1.) Boston International Hostel

Hostels are generally fairly cheap. The entire place can hold up to 200 people. And they also accept group reservations. I am currently sending an email to the person who deals with Group Sales to ask questions about price per bed, how far in advance we can/need/should reserve the rooms, number of beds we can reserve, and methods of payment.

2.) Outdoor Tournament

We pick a weekend that has good weather. Then we choose an outdoor venue that will let us stay overnight and everyone will set up tents.

3.) Summer College Housing

Over the summer many colleges that provide lots of on-campus housing, are extremely empty. Perhaps we could rent a bunch of rooms for a weekend.

Idea 3 if it is possible would be the best solution to housing. Somehow I doubt that most colleges would allow this. However there are tons of colleges all over New England. If one of them would agree to housing people for a weekend, then it would be the perfect solution to housing.

Edit: There are two hostels in Boston. One that holds 205 beds, one that holds 300 beds.

Top Bottom