• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'd love to main Robin but...

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Did anyone else here become good as a character they started out horribly as?
I've been exploring the roster in search of a main and until now I'd barely used Robin. I can't deny I loved Awakening and Robin kicked tail on there, so I thought of trying to learn his moves. He's really hard to get the hang of though! I'm wondering if that's normal for any Robin mains here, or if I should try someone else?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yes.

In my experience, that's kinda how it works. Robin is a tricky character by all accounts, and honestly, there's no other character in the game that plays quite like her. I'm still finding my feet, but she's a rewarding and enjoyable character all the same.

Even if you're horrible, keep at it until you're not horrible. I could barely play Palutena when I first got the game, in spite of my desire to main her, but I just kept at it until I figured it out. It's all a learning curve. You just need to have the dedication and drive to get better, understand the theory, play constantly and get better. You can and will get better, you just need to believe that you can and want to do it.

Snerp

Smash Cadet
I wanted to main Robin they second I saw the reveal, but once I tried her on the 3ds version I instantly disliked how sluggish she felt. I hoped for a mix of Marth and Ness and got Zelda with a sword. Buuuut after experimenting with her on Wii U I eventually added her to my secondaries. She's quite fun.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Might I add you two to my 3DS friend list sometime? I could use the training if you're up for it :)

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
This actually happened to all of my four most played characters: Shulk, Robin, Marth, and Mega Man. At first I couldn't play them better than Mario, my old main in previous games, so I kinda gave up on them for the time being. However through sheer dedication and patience I got to the point where I'm more deadly using any of those characters than I am with Mario.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My main problem with Robin isn't just how slow he/she is, but also the fact that his/her tomes have limitations; something that all the other projectile users don't suffer from. Of all the newcomers out there, I've gotten used to Rosalina the quickest, and she's been quite friendly for me as well. As for Robin, I just feel that being sluggish and having limitations with your projectile usage just doesn't work all that well, and would require a lot of perseverance if you truly want to main such an advanced fighter.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Might I add you two to my 3DS friend list sometime? I could use the training if you're up for it :)
Of course!

It's my brother's 3DS, though, so on the off-chance you see me, it's his account I'll be playing on.

Snerp

Smash Cadet
I actually sold my 3DS since the new 3DS is right around the corner, but if you ever get a WiiU and want to practice I'd be down anytime.

JaegerFish

Smash Rookie
Some characters are more easily accessible than others, Robin is not really one of the 'easy to master' characters. Robin's style is really more about zoning and trapping than all out offense which probably tends to clash with some peoples play styles, but once you get the rhythm of where to use his/her moves, you can punish opponents who aren't careful. It's a nice change from pure attacking and why I like to use him/her :)

CosmicFuzz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Masterphailure
3DS FC
4511-1602-4990
Playing as a character as unique as Robin requires a bit more practice than usual. Keep at it and you'll soon be slamming books into enemy faces.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Actually, might I recommend @Raziek's sublime Robin guide? It's helped me a lot, I think you'd benefit massively from its insights and techniques.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Robin is harder to master because of the speed issue. You are all zone and no smash. You can literally just stand there and Thoron all day but nobody will let you do that. So at least your baiting as a Robin is superior to that of, say, Zelda or WFT. Those smash attacks are really nice tho, and Robin is surprisingly good in the air as long as you have the Levin Sword. Robin has decent damage, knock back, and can always use Thoron as a kill move if need be. Nos can be used to punish rollers or whiffed dash attacks/grabs. Grabs can only be used when you are too close for comfort.

Robin is designed to play a few steps ahead of your opponent. Fitting, given the character's initial class... So with Robin you take it easy and read. Read your opponent's moves, read your opponent's dodges, and of course, read your books. Also throw your books. Throwing books goes over nicely.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Actually, might I recommend @Raziek's sublime Robin guide? It's helped me a lot, I think you'd benefit massively from its insights and techniques.
I was just reading his guides actually. :)

From what I've seen, Robin struggles in For Glory. Thank goodness, I thought it was just me. Also characters like Sheik and Cap. Falcon are as pesky as ever. But at least Robin (and Wario-!) can take on most normal opponents and I even thwarted a Zamus for the first time as Robin, so I hope practice will help. What's the best way to get trained up if FD stages aren't so hot?

Robin is harder to master because of the speed issue. You are all zone and no smash. You can literally just stand there and Thoron all day but nobody will let you do that. So at least your baiting as a Robin is superior to that of, say, Zelda or WFT. Those smash attacks are really nice tho, and Robin is surprisingly good in the air as long as you have the Levin Sword. Robin has decent damage, knock back, and can always use Thoron as a kill move if need be. Nos can be used to punish rollers or whiffed dash attacks/grabs. Grabs can only be used when you are too close for comfort.

Robin is designed to play a few steps ahead of your opponent. Fitting, given the character's initial class... So with Robin you take it easy and read. Read your opponent's moves, read your opponent's dodges, and of course, read your books. Also throw your books. Throwing books goes over nicely.
Cheered me up after a slump of losses, thank you! Talk about a hard-hitting bestseller books, AMIRITE? :D

Last edited:

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Sorry to double post but I have a video here. This was my first proper, non-For-Glory match against someone. My first opponent? Someone I've never defeated; Captain Falcon. And while I didn't win, I'm impressed by how much I've learned in a few days. How did I do? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG_QFAYhHwY

timetotipthescales

Smash Cadet
NNID
bloodofgrima
You did pretty nice!

For practice that's not on Final Destination, since it's not the optimal way to train, try Anther's Ladder; you can find the link on Google. Practice with friendlies and stuff, and learn more about the character and what your strong suits are; most of the time, your opponents will give you tips to improve.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Captain Falcon is a pain for anyone who's slow or zone based... You did good.

I say your only issue is you need to learn to bait. Use charging your thunder/thoron/etc as a way to bait and roll. The roll itself is way better than a shielded roll because you can act out of it without any added delay. You should also only go for smashes if the person is charging into you or as a punish. So when someone starts invading your space, that's when you smash. It's better to use down smash most of the time too, because it hits behind you just a bit and the lightning travels on the ground. That means it has two little hits to avoid and stops the person from rolling behind you to punish. Fsmash has longer range, but can easily be punished just by having someone roll behind you.

Top Bottom