• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'd like to see if we can clarify something about semi scarring.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
I've been tooling around with this, and I think people may be mistaken about having to hold down in order to perform it. I could be wrong about this, if I'm misunderstanding what actually occurs.

I have been able to do what I believe people refer to as semi scarring without holding down. The technique I have been performing is actually just a simple one to place Wolf in what I would call the optimum position for illusioning back on the stage.

What I do is hang on the ledge and pull away to the side, then as fast as possible, double jump and IMMEDIATELY illusion onto the stage. If you don't do a tiny double jump first you will collide with the edge and fall but double jumping can allow you to get to just a tiny bit higher to the point where you will be *barely* over the edge and appear to go through it as you illusion. I have not needed to hold down on the analog stick to do this.

I find the easiest way to perform this technique is to have the buttons set up so that a jump is right next to your B button, so you can slide your thumb along the jump button and then onto B almost instantly. I use a classic controller so I've had no trouble with this.

Now, what I'm wondering is, how did people determine that you hold down? Was this tested extensively? Is there a different, more real version of scarring that people are calling semi scarring and I've just misunderstood?

Loup17

Smash Apprentice
what you're doing is scarring. it doesn't work on any stage, and was before semi-scarring.

semi-scaring works on every stage with an edge, and it let's you basically go through the level, and yes, you HAVE to hold down to do it.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Yea teekay i've done that before, and it looks like your scarring but your really not.

§witch

Smash Lord
Holding down, prevents you from grabbing the edge, allowing you to go through the stage. When i semi-scar, I am usually on my way back to the stage.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
what you're doing is scarring. it doesn't work on any stage, and was before semi-scarring.

semi-scaring works on every stage with an edge, and it let's you basically go through the level, and yes, you HAVE to hold down to do it.
No it isn't, what I'm doing is on final destination. For regular scarring you don't have to adjust your positioning after letting go of the ledge.

Anyway, what I didn't gather was that holding down prevents you from grabbing the ledge, so I think I see what the idea is now. Thanks for the input.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
if it makes your position standing immediately on the edge of final destination and it happened much faster than a scar, thats nothing special. it was discovered on day one, and it wasn't given a name.

Its just barely passing the edge, almost so little to not even be worth mentioning.

Vista

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I used to do the double jump flash on FD. I used to call is Pseudo-scarring. I still use it, but semi-scars are much more effective.

Top Bottom