• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'd figure I'd take a stab at this.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Link to original post: [drupal=583]I'd figure I'd take a stab at this.[/drupal]

Well, this is new... a blog, eh? Well, let's get started.

I'm NintendoMan07, or NM07, for short. Blah, what am I doing? This isn't an intro thread!

I'm going through quite a rough patch right now. I'm something of a scientific type: If I don't have evidence, then I can't bring myself to say something as a true statement. That could be my biggest hangup right now, as all the evidence I have is pointing to this: I fail at Brawl AND I fail at life.

Now, why I separated those two is kinda weird both for the reader and both for myself. But capitalizing on that separation, I guess I should discuss Brawl first.

My history with Smash hasn't been great. I rented SB64, played through Classic, unlocked everything, and that's about it. I own Melee, and I've had it for several years now, and like SB64, I've unlocked everything, beaten every event, got all the trophies, etc. But... that doesn't matter to the Smashboards community, right? Of course not. I took up Yoshi as a semi-main in Melee, but my problem was the lack of incentive to play multiplayer. I had only one friend who played with me, but he not only doesn't own the game, but he rarely took my challenges against him because I'd beat him. Of course, that still doesn't matter since we were just playing casually.

Now, fast-forward to Brawl, my FIRST experience with online gaming ever. I got it the day it came out, and for the first week, I was already working on unlocking stuff. And even when I found an online community of Texans to Brawl with, I was STILL working on the 1P aspect of Brawl. As a result, I now have almost every character, stage, challenge, trophy, sticker, etc. Again, that doesn't matter to Smashboards members.

So... I'm back where I was in Melee. The difference is... I now have an actual incentive to play multiplayer: online. But, I fail there, from my experience with the Texan Brawl group. I'm the epitome of failure online. I don't have a main and I have a 0-10 loss streak (well, 10 and counting, I suppose). So... multiplayer option has rejected me. Sure, there's Team Multiman Brawl (which I call TMMB for short), but that makes me the laughingstock of Smashboards, right?

And then there's this desire to get better. Yet... it's confusing. My desire isn't to go to tournaments or anything; my stress level peaks on a regular basis as it is, and tournaments are the LAST thing I need considering that. I just... need to get better enough to stay in the game, I suppose. Right now, I could confidently quit knowing that I've covered just about every 1P thing I could do.

But... I bought this game not just for that. I bought it so that I could hopefully learn to draw out a competitive spirit in me. In my life, I've always been settling for whatever happens. As much as being open to every option there is is convenient... it's also pretty pathetic. However seeing as I fail at Brawl's multiplayer... I can see that I've also failed in my mission. To be so desparate to go to Smashboards for help and not get any... is really depressing. The Texan group disbanded because the site was shut down, so I don't have them to turn to. All that I have right now is Smashboards, and I so far haven't had much luck since I've registered here. I've gotten "help", sure. People have given a few tips and things... but there's a HUGE gap in the translation of text to action that has to take place... and it just... doesn't happen for me. People learn different things in different ways, and reading just doesn't help me in Brawl. So far, it just seems like I've just been passed on from one person to another, like no one WANTS to help. Can I really be THAT hopeless?

As for the common suggestion of playing other people... well, other people just exist to 3/4/5/whatever-stock others and prove the other guy is worthless. So what I learned from the past 10 or so fights is just that... I'm worthless. I think I've read the message loud and clear. There's gotta be an approach to this that actually says something. There's gotta be an approach that says "you could work on some things" or "you have potential with this character; keep at it" or whatever. I mean... I know I'm being hopelessly optimistic about this... but I told myself that I wouldn't turn Brawl into another Melee, where all I did all day was watch myself SD more than the Lvl. 1 comps I was playing against, and laughing not for the fun of it, but laughing at how hopelessly worthless my skill had sunk.

As for the failing at life part... well, I'll cut it short and say I just described it. Yeah, Brawl has effectively become my life since I've tried to deal with being inadequate in skill.

I'm sorry if anyone feels that I'm being a blockhead about this... but this... is just what I'm feeling at the moment.

Top Bottom