• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IC's are good against meta knight...contrary to popular beleif!

Atlantis

Smash Cadet
Ok, being an IC main and playing the majority of games i play on wifi...i get owned alot...not blaming lag here, but it is obvious some characters thrive in laggy games. Characters such as Meta, G&W, Snake and all those annoying pests. But i have learned that most people who play as IC fear MK, and in my opinion this fear is unwarranted. I say this because i play an extremely skilled Meta Knight and this kid is by far better than me at brawl, and i cannot beat his Meta with anyone BUT the Ice Climbers. Why is this do you ask...simple answer...

SHORT HOP-BLIZZARD

This move alone stops Meta in his tracks, ALL of Meta's specials are stopped dead in its tracks when coming in contact with the Blizzard. The Tornado, his Loop thing, the twirling spike (side B), and for the down B, well this Meta player hardly uses the down b for some reason. Anyways, the point im making is, since Meta is a close combat fighter and mostly uses aerials and specials to get close, but they will never get close if you continuously stop them with SH Blizzard. Yes, you may end up spamming a little, but to kill that puffball with a sword, it's worth it to be called a spammer.

The only thing to be worried about is when YOU approach Meta, make sure you have an escape route and know exactly what you want to do. The SHBlizz. can rack up 33%, bring you 1/3 of the way to a KO. It also leads to a quick stun on meta, leaving you a short period of time, if desynched, to grab meta....charge smash, or chain grab to your hearts content.

I dunno if everyone has problems against metas, but i remember on the match up thread he was like a 7/3 or 8/2.....for losing 70 or 80% of the time. Hopefully this helps anyone else. Too bad this doesn't work for Snake :/

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
One attack will not win you a battle. Meta's tornado outprioritizes all of Luigi and Wario's attacks from the sides, but that isn't why he's better than them in the long run.

Generally, people won't be running into attacks all the time, either, especially if the opponent is "spamming" the attack. And even then, Meta's fast enough to attack them out of the ending lag after they shoot ice at the air in front of them.

Yes, I am a Meta player, so you may think my opinion is biased on the matter. But relying on one attack to win, especially after stale move effects, is not going to cut it. Even when you've built up the damage, it'll be incredibly hard to land the finishing attack, especially when Meta's sword is both faster and has more range than almost all of the IC's hammer attacks.

As for why Meta tends to win against ICs most of the time, it's mostly because of his sheer speed and the fact that it's hard to shieldgrab him out of attacks because of his multiple jumps and correctly-spaced aerials being out of grab range. That, and Meta can gimp the ICs out of nearly all of their recovery options with so much ease, and also separate them just as easily. It's an uphill battle for the ICs against all of the speedy characters, and Meta is no exception to this.

Atlantis

Smash Cadet
I'm not relying on one attack to win, im utilizing that one attack to paralyze a meta....take away meta's approach and he doesn't have much besides his lagless attacks.....obviously SHBlizz is not the only attack i use to win, lol, but its a great tool against Meta Knight

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
Speed is a serious issue here. Very few of the ICs attacks can stop a dash attack from Meta without some serious prediction, and it's simply hard to rack up damage without grabs, something to which Meta is rarely a victim. And lagless attacks are all Meta actually needs here. What does he approach with for you? A dash attack all the time?

In the air, Meta ravages the ICs, and on the ground, his Dsmash is simply much faster than almost anything they can use with similar range. He can also recover quite effectively against them because they have very little they can do after they get him off the ledge. On the other hand, Meta can just destroy them after they're off the ledge most of the time.

I like your attitude with trying to win this theory battle, but the odds are heavily stacked against you. I've used the ICs plenty of times before, and speedy characters are not a field day for them.

Binx

Smash Master
I hardly play the game, and I havn't done this match up, but obviously short hop blizzard will outrange and out prioritize every attack meta has except maybe his counter but I dont know cause i have not tried it, however I believe meta could wait for you to blizzard then run and and up throw ICs really fast to counter this.

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
The blizzard stops tons of approaches, but it's still slow on the started and at the end. It can be jumped over, and it generally won't be building damage as easily as this theory proposes.

So yes, Meta can just punish that attack if it doesn't initially hit, and like I said before, you won't find people running into it very frequenty. I'd suggest it for edge control if anything.

Regardless, this doesn't mean the ICs blizzard isn't a bad move. It's actually really good, but against Meta, who *should* be generally approaching the ICs from above and not from the ground, it's utility is heavily reduced.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Wow Metaknight ***** IC's I'm sorry boys and girls.

Just grab him and kill him if you can because he is hard.

Atlantis

Smash Cadet
That's the point im trying to make choknater, that IC have a very reliable weapon to taking out a meta...and if use properly it can lead to certain victory. A meta who cannot do any specials or approaches is a panicked meta, and a panicked meta is going to slip up even more

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
While I agree that Meta is a hard matchup, I honestly don't think the match is too terribly bad for ICs either. I guess it comes from playing against a Meta all the time. Blizzard is great, Squall can get you out of and into things. Bair is reliable. Aerial approaches are stopped by Utilt and Uair, sometimes Bair and Nair. Ftilt is exceptionally useful in dealing with Meta's in-your-face style.

Getting the grab is the easiest way to end your troubles. Sadly it's really hard to get on top of the guy.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
I have never beaten a half decent meta.. they usualy seperate me and own Nana wit there Multi Jumps.. Or, own me with with spacing/Multi Jumps. Sigh. I hate meta :[
Ill try more Blizzards tho. See wuh I can come up with.

Top Bottom